The Architecture/Design Thread

View attachment 46158

Family Clinic, Echo Park and Sunset Boulevard, Echo Park Los Angeles.

A more prideful, proud, true and warm building I've never seen. With a bit of effort the saddest of places can be made beautiful with a little paint and care.

This is the Los Angeles I love and am grateful for, and most people never see. So I'm posting it here.

Shot through windshield late night after the rains with Pureshot/Snapseed.

I lived 3 blocks away from here back in the late 80's. Here is day daytime image from maps. That used to be my supermarkets cross the street. The house I lived was allegedly an old stagecoach stop. Tiny place with very thick walls. Left Lala land in 1990.
image.jpg

Yes, the old market is now a Walgreen's. The neighborhood is changing and gentrifying so fast now it's absolutely staggering, much the way the lower east side in New York City seemed to change over night. Good things and bad things, as always, come with that. But it is getting more accommodating by the day. It's been home base off and on for years.

But my fondest memory is just above the building across from supermarket parking lot, that's where I used to buy my cigarettes for years before I quit that vile and lovely habit. sometimes it was as rough and tough a neighborhood as they come. but affordable, and a good place to be young if you wanted a certain kind of experience.

oh youth.

IMG_4402.JPG

Meeting House Bennington College, Vermont. Early 1700s. 4s Native Camera/iphoto.

Not until after I photographed it did I learn that terrible, ritualistic murders, suicide, madness and witchcraft were said to have taken place here over the centuries. Many who live there say it is still haunted and can't be torn down for the spirits that protect it. I can say it is an eerie building that gave off a such a strange and powerful energy that I had to take this picture.

View attachment 49861

Meeting House Bennington College, Vermont. Early 1700s. 4s Native Camera/iphoto.

Not until after I photographed it did I learn that terrible, ritualistic murders, suicide, madness and witchcraft were said to have taken place here over the centuries. Many who live there say it is still haunted and can't be torn down for the spirits that protect it. I can say it is an eerie building that gave off a such a strange and powerful energy that I had to take this picture.
It definitely has a creepiness to it... :eek:

Wonderful!! I always loved books that included an attic... and this is exactly how I'd picture one!

Yes, every good book needs an attic! And this is a book, or a virtual one, and a wonderful place to place these images and see if/how they fit together and if/how they affect viewers.

For instance, the studio in hollywood, the top of an old barn in Beachwood Canyon that's been converted where a struggling actress lives, somehow fit to me with the classic professor's attic in her old colonial house in Swarthmore, Pa, though I'm not sure why. But I wanted to see them together and present them together.

I almost wish we could lay images out horizontally. Maybe I should suggest that design option to the mobitog team (since they're redesigning.) The option to lay out images horizontally on a scroll instead of vertically. Is that even possible to do on a forum like this?

image.jpg

A boy plays in the ruins of Pan Pacific Auditorium, a lost piece of Los Angeles history.

"The Pan-Pacific Auditorium was a landmark structure in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles, California, which once stood at 7600 West Beverly Boulevard near the site of Gilmore Field, an early Los Angeles baseball venue predating Dodger Stadium. It was located within sight of both CBS Television City on the southeast corner of Beverly and Fairfax Avenue and the Farmers Market on the northeast corner of Third Street and Fairfax. For over 35 years it was the premiere location for indoor public events in Los Angeles. The facility was closed in 1972, beginning 17 years of steady neglect and decay. In 1978 the Pan-Pacific Auditorium was included in the National Register of Historic Places but 11 years later the sprawling wooden structure was destroyed in a spectacular fire."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Pacific_Auditorium

VividHDR

It's like the ruins of Rome or Milan in the middle of Los Angeles. A glorious crumbling graveyard of American middle class glamour transformed into a public park. I think Vivid did a wonderful job of capturing the textures and mood of this place, the "ancient" history, and the boy in the corner who doesn't know or care about anything but the joy of the present moment, as should be.

A lot of futbol gets played there now, which I love. It's my favorite park in Los Angeles, the most open and democratic. Parks are some of my favorite places, because they are some of the last where everybody comes together and shares space for pleasure regardless of where they come from. I wish there were more in Los Angeles; it would be a much more communal city.

I almost wish we could lay images out horizontally. Maybe I should suggest that design option to the mobitog team (since they're redesigning.) The option to lay out images horizontally on a scroll instead of vertically. Is that even possible to do on a forum like this?
@lazaro - Well, we probably can't completely fill your wish Laz, BUT... :eek:

CHECK. OUT. THE. NEW.
MobiGallery for an even better way to view this awesome on-going project of yours... :thumbs:

I have taken the liberty of uploading the iMages from this thread into the Gallery, I hope you don't mind... :barf:

If you select your Album, then click on the first, or any, iMage in the Album you will get a fabulous lightbox type view... :thumbs:

Once in the lighbox view you can slide through all your iMages in the Album horizontally, left or right, to your hearts content... :D

Whilst not, strictly speaking, scrolling horizontally, at least you get to see them sequentially just as you wanted?... :rog:

Let us know what you think and, of course, you can add to the Album as your Project continues to grow, we think the new Gallery is a fantastic addition for our MobiMembers and hope you all will love it too... :notworthy:

@lazaro - Well, we probably can't completely fill your wish Laz, BUT... :eek:

CHECK. OUT. THE. NEW.
MobiGallery for an even better way to view this awesome on-going project of yours... :thumbs:

I have taken the liberty of uploading the iMages from this thread into the Gallery, I hope you don't mind... :barf:

If you select your Album, then click on the first, or any, iMage in the Album you will get a fabulous lightbox type view... :thumbs:

Once in the lighbox view you can slide through all your iMages in the Album horizontally, left or right, to your hearts content... :D

Whilst not, strictly speaking, scrolling horizontally, at least you get to see them sequentially just as you wanted?... :rog:

Let us know what you think and, of course, you can add to the Album as your Project continues to grow, we think the new Gallery is a fantastic addition for our MobiMembers and hope you all will love it too... :notworthy:

Can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the note and taking in the notes that everybody's contributing. It's what makes this place very unique and special: the intimacy. Very rare and surprising in the best way.

image.jpg

The Los Angeles Public Library Main Hall
Designed by Bertrand Grosvnor Goodhue & Lee Lawrie

"To most people, the Los Angeles Public Library is nothing more than a functional building, which happens to be beautifully ornamented. When one understands the occult symbolism displayed around the complex, the Library turns into a temple of illumination, dedicated to occult mysteries and Masonic principles. It is a celebration of the accomplishments of the luciferian elite and of the prevailing of its occult philosophy. The fact that the library is dedicated to secret societies, despite the fact that the LAPL is publicly funded, tells volumes about the true nature of America’s power."

If true, I love this building even more.

Read more at http://vigilantcitizen.com/sinister...-angeles-central-library/#A220yhESImmVMb14.99

Shot with VividHDR

View attachment 50548

The Los Angeles Public Library Main Hall
Designed by Bertrand Grosvnor Goodhue & Lee Lawrie

"To most people, the Los Angeles Public Library is nothing more than a functional building, which happens to be beautifully ornamented. When one understands the occult symbolism displayed around the complex, the Library turns into a temple of illumination, dedicated to occult mysteries and Masonic principles. It is a celebration of the accomplishments of the luciferian elite and of the prevailing of its occult philosophy. The fact that the library is dedicated to secret societies, despite the fact that the LAPL is publicly funded, tells volumes about the true nature of America’s power."

If true, I love this building even more.

Read more at http://vigilantcitizen.com/sinister...-angeles-central-library/#A220yhESImmVMb14.99

Shot with VividHDR
Wonderful POV.... such interesting shapes and colors and lines - and an intriguing description of the library.

I've spent a lot of time there over the years, and photographed it quite a bit going back to my first iphone in 2007. This shot is a very simple POV, but I guess took years to get to. VividHDR, as usual, provides wonderful color, textures and light with the greatest of accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom