APPstract RESULT: Weekly APPstract #7 Art Games

Self portrait.

My inner channel is way to clean I’m afraid. Will have to work on it.

View attachment 121153

So I started off with a horrible selfie (can’t understand the obsession with it!) and did a tracing in black without lifting my stylus - SketchClub:
View attachment 121154

Then I filled it in using the vector tool in SketchClub using colours from my image:
View attachment 121155

Oh heck, soooo boring. Right, how can I tart this up?? Took the combination of the above two drawings into iColorama and used Style>Stamp with one of the patterns, changed sliders and Multiply. Better but doesn’t feel finished to me.
View attachment 121156

Into BeCasso to give it a Cartoon look, IC Adjust>Tone Lab>4 to bring out the colours and a final crop to get a better composition which is the first image.

Thanks for sharing the process, Ann. I hadn’t thought of tracing a photograph (of anything) in SketchClub, and *hint hint* the vector version looks like a perfect start to one of the Picasso or Modigliani portrait art lessons on the Art Games Pinterest page.:D

I searched the community brushes for a paint brush brush, but couldn’t find one. Am I being confusing? I used a musical note brush to stamp in the legs, another sort of brush to stamp the eye, but I couldn’t find a brush in the shape of a brush to stamp. Am I making sense yet? At all????:confused::confused:

‘Artist brush’ by Shellebelle

CE502786-A6FE-4156-8386-C839A6C6571B.jpeg

Self portrait.

My inner channel is way to clean I’m afraid. Will have to work on it.

View attachment 121153

So I started off with a horrible selfie (can’t understand the obsession with it!) and did a tracing in black without lifting my stylus - SketchClub:
View attachment 121154

Then I filled it in using the vector tool in SketchClub using colours from my image:
View attachment 121155

Oh heck, soooo boring. Right, how can I tart this up?? Took the combination of the above two drawings into iColorama and used Style>Stamp with one of the patterns, changed sliders and Multiply. Better but doesn’t feel finished to me.
View attachment 121156

Into BeCasso to give it a Cartoon look, IC Adjust>Tone Lab>4 to bring out the colours and a final crop to get a better composition which is the first image.

Love this, but you are way WAY more beautiful than you’ve portrayed yourself here.

Here’s my tesselation attempt.
View attachment 121179
Yikes! Even resized at 1500px this picture still came to over 9MB. I had to re-jpeg it again to lower the memory space.
Made in iOrnament. It took about 25 tries to get the fish shape to fit and that turned out to be the easy part. It will take a lot more practice with the painting functions in iOrnament to get what I hoped for.

Wow. What a beauty - the colour is just :thumbs: :thumbs: And the simplicity of the fish and how they sit together :notworthy: :notworthy:

My sis is all over iOrnament, and every time I ask her to show me slowly (again) she does — and I never have the heart to tell her I still don’t get it. Maybe I should try Amaze-thingie that Starzee refers to :zip:

I
Here’s my tesselation attempt.
View attachment 121179
Yikes! Even resized at 1500px this picture still came to over 9MB. I had to re-jpeg it again to lower the memory space.
Made in iOrnament. It took about 25 tries to get the fish shape to fit and that turned out to be the easy part. It will take a lot more practice with the painting functions in iOrnament to get what I hoped for.
I did finally figure out how to make the tesselation in iOrnamet but I touched something and it turned into a circular design. Then, trying to fix that, I succeeded in making tinier circles. I have no idea what I did.

I like the way the color selector works and I like/ hate (I can’t paint) that you can’t just auto fill the spaces. The results are much more arty than with Amaziograph.

Yes, perfect sense. Maybe you will be the one to make that missing paint brush brush and share it with others. I can see how searching for a paint brush brush would lead to a confused set of search results. I wonder if searching for a paint brush stamp brush would get you closer. It really is a stamp rather than a brush. Like a pattern brush is another category of brush. The musical notes for feet was an inspiration.

This just got me thinking about brushes and pattern brushes and tesselation and wondering if a tesselation tile in a pattern brush would produce a nice tesselation pattern. Hmmmm.

Still working on how the brush making thing works. My brushes never seem to work like other people’s brushes.

Let me know if you figure out how to make a tesselation brush. I started working with tesellations when I was in an art class and they used an index card to make a pattern. I have been trying to do the same thing, on and off, in Procreate since.

I

I did finally figure out how to make the tesselation in iOrnamet but I touched something and it turned into a circular design. Then, trying to fix that, I succeeded in making tinier circles. I have no idea what I did.

I like the way the color selector works and I like/ hate (I can’t paint) that you can’t just auto fill the spaces. The results are much more arty than with Amaziograph.
Trying to make the tesselation in iOrnament caused me to discover several things in it I have never been aware of before. I’m starting to realize it has much greater potential than I thought. But do I have the interest to pursue it.

Still working on how the brush making thing works. My brushes never seem to work like other people’s brushes.

Let me know if you figure out how to make a tesselation brush. I started working with tesellations when I was in an art class and they used an index card to make a pattern. I have been trying to do the same thing, on and off, in Procreate since.
Except for seeing the famous Escher tesselations I never had any experience with them at all and didn’t realize it was a “thing” until I read some of the Art Games things on Pinterest that zenjenny pointed us towards. I saw what you mentioned about starting with a piece of cardboard and cutting out a piece and taping it on the other side of the square, and then doing the same thing again it the top and bottom. It seems to me that when you draw a shape in iOrnament (make sure the background geometry lines are turned on) that as soon as you go outside the bounds of the current tile you are adding the piece onto the adjacent tile. It’s just like the cardboard square but without the scissors and tape.

I’m wondering, though, if the tesselation I remember from Escher could be made this way since in each iteration there is a progressive change in size or shape such that the design starts in one way and progresses into something else by the other side.

Last edited:
I

I found that using the layers in iOrnament made the colouring a lot easier. I think it defaults to your basic drawing being on the middle layer. For colouring in I used the layer below which made it easier since the lines were on top so painting just up to the line wasn’t necessary. I had the full width of the line to paint under which is a lot more leeway. Then other things you might want to draw on the top layer, such as finishing details, so if they don’t work out it is easier to erase them than if they were in the paint layer.
Also, for the first time, I saved the project within iOrnament so it could be continued later if I wanted. I saved a couple of progress versions so if I ended up getting too far off track I could go back to the half ways versions I saved.
There are a couple of things on the far right tool bar that are easy to touch by accident while working, especially if you rest your hand there while using the Apple Pencil, that will throw the whole design into some other planet, but once you figure out which one it was it goes back to normal again, whew!

Here are a couple of other pictures made in the defunct Edru app.
6A20A58F-8C98-4848-A88E-B09CC7011236.jpeg

17FA6279-AB91-44A9-88F4-810456D22C29.jpeg

I’ve noticed there are a couple of glitches in the app which indicates bugs that have not been fixed to suit the newer iOS so I guess it won’t keep working through very many more system updates.

Another thing I forgot to mention about the app: it has spacey atmospheric background music that plays while you create.

Last edited:
Here’s another old app, long gone. Artisan. It still works of Fabi’s older iPad 3 and my old iPod 4. I guess you could say it fits into the Art Games category.
FB861D13-D1AF-49D5-AB7D-0983CCDE711B.jpeg

This app was different in being touch responsive. You could cause the drawing pattern to change position and activity depending on how you touched the screen. If you left it alone it would carry on randomly. IF you pressed in one place and held it there the design would swirl around your finger. Otherwise it would follow your finger as you moved across the screen. The design could be changed from defined lines to a smoother gradient and the colours could be selected and the speed of colour changes could be changed. The saved picture format is basically a png screenshot. The app never was adapted to fit the iPad screen so the picture shape here is the old iPod shape.

E4D1FE01-40C8-41F9-B390-8A7C138521B0.jpeg

Sadly, time is nearly up for this week’s Art Games (link here for some options) . younger, has Joana completed her drawing yet? TomHH, I think Jilly extended a personal invitation to you? :D ValeriGail, where are you ? :weary: RHKing ??

And before I have to close the thread, I’d love to see some more responses to rizole ’s family scribble game. That’s it above - what can you make of/with it? dscheff , it’s not like you to pass up such an, um, challenging challenge :lol: terse ? We have a rooster, a granny, a balloon, flowers, a French Painter . . . ... rizole, what are your kids’ records for versions of one scribble?

View attachment 121265

Sadly, time is nearly up for this week’s Art Games (link here for some options) . younger, has Joana completed her drawing yet? TomHH, I think Jilly extended a personal invitation to you? :D ValeriGail, where are you ? :weary: RHKing ??

And before I have to close the thread, I’d love to see some more responses to rizole ’s family scribble game. That’s it above - what can you make of/with it? dscheff , it’s not like you to pass up such an, um, challenging challenge :lol: terse ? We have a rooster, a granny, a balloon, flowers, a French Painter . . . ... rizole, what are your kids’ records for versions of one scribble?
OK, I’ve got something coming, but I have to go out for the afternoon so it will have to be this evening.

My sis is all over iOrnament, and every time I ask her to show me slowly (again) she does — and I never have the heart to tell her I still don’t get it. Maybe I should try Amaze-thingie that Starzee refers to :zip:
I used to have iOrnament.... was very confused by it and thought “what the heck am I going to create with this??” and deleted it. Always humbled when others do the complete opposite of that and create amazing things.

Back
Top Bottom