What are you watching?

I just started watching Velma on HBO Max. The reviews are only meh, but I'm personally loving it. It's definitely not for kids, though.
velma.jpg

The first season of Star Trek: Prodigy just ended. I wasn't expecting too much out of this show, considering it was aimed at a younger audience. But as a dedicated Star Trek fan, I knew I was going to watch it. I didn't expect it to be as good as it is. Out of all the new Star Trek, this is second only to the outstanding Strange New Worlds. The characters are engaging, the story has emotional depth, and I found myself emotionally invested. They really nailed the landing on the end of the season finale, too.
startrekprodigy.jpg

I just started watching Velma on HBO Max. The reviews are only meh, but I'm personally loving it. It's definitely not for kids, though.
View attachment 189070

The first season of Star Trek: Prodigy just ended. I wasn't expecting too much out of this show, considering it was aimed at a younger audience. But as a dedicated Star Trek fan, I knew I was going to watch it. I didn't expect it to be as good as it is. Out of all the new Star Trek, this is second only to the outstanding Strange New Worlds. The characters are engaging, the story has emotional depth, and I found myself emotionally invested. They really nailed the landing on the end of the season finale, too.
View attachment 189071
I watched the first episode of Prodigy, but didn’t continue. Perhaps I should give it another chance. I loved Picard, and Discovery, Strange New Worlds wasn’t my favorite of the three, but we are starting to re-watch it. Our routine is to watch the new Star Trek stuff on weekend mornings with breakfast, and the old series re-runs with dinner. We’ve probably seen all of the seven times by now. :lmao:

I had discontinued my subscription to Netflix to save a little money. But there are just too many shows on there I still want to see, so I resubscribed. I binged watched the entire first season of Wednesday on Sunday. I loved it. But then again, I grew up watching the original Addams Family from way back. It's my kind of dark, twisted comedy. And of course I'm watching Star Trek: Picard season 3.
wednesday.jpeg

picards3.jpg

I had discontinued my subscription to Netflix to save a little money. But there are just too many shows on there I still want to see, so I resubscribed. I binged watched the entire first season of Wednesday on Sunday. I loved it. But then again, I grew up watching the original Addams Family from way back. It's my kind of dark, twisted comedy. And of course I'm watching Star Trek: Picard season 3.
View attachment 190047
View attachment 190046
I gave up Netflix so I could subscribe to Paramount in order to watch Picard. :lmao: Very much enjoyed the first episode of season 3. Also love Discovery. I’m wondering now though if I have any emails I haven’t used yet to get a free trial of Netflix to check out Wednesday. Sounds like fun.

I’m going back and watching all the Bert Keischer comedy specials. Oh man is he funny. Dirty but funny!! Be warned. Dirty and funny!!

It's been a while. Let's see... Each day in October, I watched a horror movie riffed by RiffTrax. That was fun.

I'm currently watching Marvel's What If...? And yesterday, I watched the fourth and final 2023 Doctor Who special, the first solo outing of Ncuti Gatwa as the fifteenth Doctor. And let me tell you, I am here for the new flirty, sexy Doctor.

It's been a while. Let's see... Each day in October, I watched a horror movie riffed by RiffTrax. That was fun.

I'm currently watching Marvel's What If...? And yesterday, I watched the fourth and final 2023 Doctor Who special, the first solo outing of Ncuti Gatwa as the fifteenth Doctor. And let me tell you, I am here for the new flirty, sexy Doctor.
I was trying to go through Marvel, but I got confused about which ones I watched. Would I get What if? if I haven’t seen what the episode is based on? Meanwhile I’m all in on the Dr Who specials.

I think watching What If without seeing all the previous Marvel movies and TV series would be fine, since these are alternative stories. In fact today’s episode was the debut of an entirely new character, Kahhori, a Mohawk woman from pre-colonial times. And it’s the most beautiful episode they’ve done so far.

And let me tell you, I am here for the new flirty, sexy Doctor.
Me too. It helps that Russel T Davies is back in the driving seat. I can only hope they don't drop the writing/production ball again.

And as we're on the wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff here's my rundown of five other recent time travelling TV shenanigans for me:

The Lazarus Project has an interesting take on time travel themes dealing with the ability to reset time and start from an earlier point on the time line. It has a bit of a cold-war spy/special branch feel to it, and like all good scifi, takes you back and forth in the extremes of the human condition.
Season 2 pulls off a twist on the first season that keeps it interesting and fresh.
9/10

We watched Bodies yesterday, all 8 hours of it. A very interesting, well crafted and written peice with a bit of a different twist on time travel. We hadn't twigged that time travel was involved before watching. It keeps you guessing and twists away gently and firmly with 4 different stories that slowly become one. Be prepared to overlook some of the obvious paradoxes and empirical plot holes in order to enjoy a fine story. It strikes a good balance that allowed both me and my other half, who's less interested in scifi as a genre, to enjoy it.
8/10

Relax I'm from the Future is fun. It's a bit of fluff, funny enough to keep me watching but it's not winning any awards for comedy, scifi or movie making. An antipodean aestethic here. 6/10

Having enjoyed the first season of Loki, I can't get back into it for season 2. I'm caring less.
I may be suffering from superhero/MCU overexposure. My attention has been waning since Avengers endgame and I think the quality of the MCU output has also been waning since Disney bought the franchise. Failed to score,

Finally, Rick and Morty is still one of my favorite things on TV. Intelligent, inventive, creative use of scifi themes and tropes on the one hand, offensive, stupid, callous and at times moving on the other. As a kid, growing up with a rich diet of animation and cartoons, I love that my contemporaries grew up to be adults that make animations and cartoons for adults. Joyus. 9/10

Bonus theme music for the Lazarus Project. Really adds to the feel of the thing for me. Visceral and cerebral at the same time. Turn up the bass.

If anyone's desperate for something to watch, OpenCulture has a list of 60 free noir films:

If anyone's desperate for something to watch, OpenCulture has a list of 60 free noir films:

That is cool. I bookmarked it. (Hope I don’t accidentally nominated for IOTM)

Blue Eye Samurai is one of the best things I've seen in a long while.
It has all the beauty and elegance of a Japanese feature. Choreographed fight scenes, matrix like in places, hidden dragon in others. There's quiet natural beauty, slow and still and the animation is so well done you don't see it. The story carries the show.
The quality, nuance, writing, characterisation! It's so well made.
Blue Eye Samurai (TV Series 2023) ⭐ 8.8 | Animation, Action, Adventure

Jacqueline Novak: Get on Your Knees is the most beautiful and accomplished stand up I've seen in several years.
It's ostensibly about blow jobs but the journey she takes us on is poetic, philosophical and artistic. It's powerful, enervating and uplifting, such a power house.

Back
Top Bottom