What are you watching?

I'll admit I'm treating this thread more as a "What are you watching" than a "Favorite TV shows" thread. Hope that's not a problem.

I just started watching Ms. Marvel on Disney +. It might not surprise you to know that I am a big comic book nerd. I buy comics weekly (digital comics these days on the Comixology app. Don't have the room for physical books any more.) I started following the adventures of Kamala Khan aka the second Ms. Marvel when she debuted about eight years ago. For those that don't know, she's a Muslim Pakistani-American high school girl from Jersey City. She's juggling friends, family, school and discovering her powers. The comic is brilliant. The show is fun so far. Only one episode is out, but it's hilarious and poignant at the same time. I'm looking forward to more.
View attachment 181594
Sounds like something to check out. I am not a comic nerd. At least, not since childhood when I bought a few every week, but I have enjoyed several of the Marvel movies and series.

I had no idea I wielded such power. I promise to use it only for good. Or a laugh.​

90F5088A-2A50-4A2C-B071-83918FC64A2F.jpeg

Everything everywhere all at once is a masterpiece. At first I thought we were heading for a good movie, well made with some good ideas. Maybe a bit formulaic, a bit soft and mainstream but alright. Then it did something completely different and unexpected that took me out of myself and on a heck of a ride. Quite, quite nuts.

Best thing I've seen this year, TV or movie. The ideas, writing, editing, cast, acting, the whole thing, just amazing.

It's got Michelle Yeoh in the lead and then someone I Thought I recognised but had to look up. Its only Jamie Leigh Curtis. And it turns out the husband played Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as a kid.

IMDB tells me the visual fx was all done by a small team that learned how to do it from YouTube tutorials.

I won't say much about it, the basic premise is an aging Chinese woman running a failing laundrette, marriage and family is the last hope of the multiverse. Like I said, quite good but a bit formulaic. And then the rest of the movie happens.
10 out of 10 from me.

I've been fascinated by the concept of Everything Everywhere All at Once ever since I first heard about it. I'm also a big fan of Michelle Yeoh, going all the way back to her Hong Kong action films back in the '80s (when she was known as Michelle Khan). I'm definitely going to watch this soon.

Killing Eve is another show I've heard nothing but good things about. I just need to make room in my TV binging schedule.

Everything everywhere all at once is a masterpiece. At first I thought we were heading for a good movie, well made with some good ideas. Maybe a bit formulaic, a bit soft and mainstream but alright. Then it did something completely different and unexpected that took me out of myself and on a heck of a ride. Quite, quite nuts.

Best thing I've seen this year, TV or movie. The ideas, writing, editing, cast, acting, the whole thing, just amazing.

It's got Michelle Yeoh in the lead and then someone I Thought I recognised but had to look up. Its only Jamie Leigh Curtis. And it turns out the husband played Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as a kid.

IMDB tells me the visual fx was all done by a small team that learned how to do it from YouTube tutorials.

I won't say much about it, the basic premise is an aging Chinese woman running a failing laundrette, marriage and family is the last hope of the multiverse. Like I said, quite good but a bit formulaic. And then the rest of the movie happens.
10 out of 10 from me.
Sounds intriguing… gonna add it to my list.

EDIT: Bummer… I’ll need to purchase it from Amazon Prime for $19.99.

Last edited:
I’m finishing up Derry Girls on Netflix and it’s laugh-out-loud funny. :D Night Sky w/Sissy Spacek & J.K. Simmons is wonderful (Amazon Prime).

Last edited:

10 out of 10 from me.
I was disappointed to be honest. Lots of good things said about this movie and your glowing review. I wouldn't have recognised Jamie Lee immediately either.

Just didn't do it for me I'm afraid, although there were some laugh out loud moments that I appreciated, sci-fi films often take themselves far too seriously. Can we call it sci-fi? Not sure how you categorise it, speculative fiction maybe?
The giant bagel was the moment it probably went downhill for me.

Anyway worth a watch but only 6 out of 10 for me. Nearest comparison I'd say was Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Last edited:
Watching The Boys season 3, not for the faint hearted or weak stomach, easily offended either. It basically turns Marvel on its head and asks how might humanity react to a superhuman? Aside from that it bends over backwards to smash every conceivable taboo, sense of taste, etiquette, morality, threshold and is thoroughly and unnervingly, blackly humourous and offensive. Downright frightening in places too.

Midwich Cuckoos on Sky is shaping up nicely, an adaptation of John Wyndhams famous tale, filmed as Village of the Damned in the esrly sixties.

and finally Obi Wan Kenobi - a strange mix of classic Star Wars action with Darth Vader finally let iff the leash to demonstrate why he is so universally feared, but has the eponymous hero Kenobi shown as a complete wet lettuce, compared to his previous exploits and coming across as weak and ineffective. Maybe its Disney, dumbing it down a little, but its fallen foul of the same issues that the Book of Boba Fett did - so much potential left in the character, going unrealised and becoming staid and formulaic. Ewan Macgregor is exec producer and he still comes across as am-dram in places, even being upstaged by a nine year old. Just as Boba Fett lost his hard edge and became Boba Fatt and contented, so Obi Wan needs to be renamed Oh Dear Kenobi as he seems to as concerned about the Force andvthe Dark Side as he might be about the price if hyperfuel. Maybe the finale will set things right and stop Alec Guiness from spinning in his grave.

Stranger Things? nah, its two series too long now and has become a cross between Neighbours and a bad 80s horror.

Just didn't do it for me I'm afraid.
I get it. I can see it's not going to be to everyone's taste. The same writer-director team also made Swiss Army Man which, if you haven't seen it, had one long, heavy handed, toilet humour, running gag throughout the whole movie. That was a 6/10 movie for me and a bit of a disappointment afaic. Everything every... also had a touch of the Benny Hills in places too.

Not sure how you categorise it, speculative fiction maybe?
Surrealist sci-fi?

Back
Top Bottom