Winter around Alma

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1421969212.403025.jpg

You can easily see the difference between the fresh water ice from upstream and the browner ice from water coming into the river at high tide from the bay of Fundy. This particular ice cake had the sun shining on the opposite side and the light was transmitted through to my side.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1421969829.475307.jpg

In the summer I had noticed a couple of these power pole support cables were broken. I wondered why. I couldn't see how a car could hit them. Now I know. The ice flow was exerting a lot of pressure on the cable. You can see how it is bent. Every now and then there would be a loud sound, like someone smacked the pole with a sledge hammer, and you could see the pole shake. The cables are not being ripped out of the ground. The cable is actually being stretched until it breaks.

View attachment 60963

In the summer I had noticed a couple of these power pole support cables were broken. I wondered why. I couldn't see how a car could hit them. Now I know. The ice flow was exerting a lot of pressure on the cable. You can see how it is bent. Every now and then there would be a loud sound, like someone smacked the pole with a sledge hammer, and you could see the pole shake. The cables are not being ripped out of the ground. The cable is actually being stretched until it breaks.
Mother Nature is certainly a force to be reckoned with!!

View attachment 60961

At low tide the ice cakes freeze to the bottom. When the tide comes in some of the ice cakes suddenly let go and float to the surface with a rush like a surfacing whale.

Love this. Imagining the sight & sound of these ice cakes dislodging from the floor with the incoming tide and that sudden lurch to the surface.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422057362.118244.jpg

Downhill skiing today at Poley Mountain near Sussex, New Brunswick, Canada. A small ski school group is going by.
After the recent rain our snow is mostly gone. Look in the background distance where you can see no snow to speak of in the fields. Not enough to snowshoe on. The cross country ski trails turned to ice. Off to the ski hill where they can make their own snow if it is cold enough, and it HAS been cold enough.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422057848.078055.jpg

A pano shot at the top of Poley Mountain ski hill today. If it wasn't for man-made snow there wouldn't be any skiing. However, Saturday's forecast is for a winter storm with plenty of snow.

O
I can't remember, but what do you use for the close up lens
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422058819.787136.jpg

This is a 2-element group salvaged from some sort of 35mm camera lens. Nicely coated. I have about 75 assorted lens elements saved from many things. I tried many different lens elements until I found one that was the right size and gave the right amount of magnification and didn't introduction excessive distortion. No matter what lens I tried they all showed colour fringing. Probably wouldn't be noticeable with a more typical subject.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422059506.668815.jpg

To attach the lens I glued a ring of inner tube rubber to the lens barrel. It is just the right size to slip onto the Moment tele lens.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422059654.160340.jpg

It pushes on until the lens barrel sits square with the front of the Moment lens.

I also tried various +3, +10 and other close-up lenses I have around but this one works the best. Any sort of magnifying lens can be taped on. It just needs to be big enough to avoid vignetting the corners.

We went back to see the river ice today, although the lighting was fairly dull.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422124590.694886.jpg

The difference between the upstream river ice compared to the tidal ice near the mouth of the river is quite noticeable.

This one is dedicated to the Venomator.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422124756.225056.jpg

When I photographed this it was just a small piece of oddly shaped clearish ice which I shot close-up with the iPhone right on the ice. I couldn't even get a really good look at it until later. Then it began to take on a most snake-like appearance. Once I recognized the snake I thought of Venomator so I brought up the natural green in the ice and then found the "eye", which I did not create (honest) but enhanced a bit by local lightening and darkening to make it show up better.

Another ice close-up.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422125391.732744.jpg

These were all shot with PureShot in bracket mode. I later used the 3 brackets as HDR originals. In this ice close-up I used a duplicate layer as high pass filter and applied it to the image layer as overlay.

Another slant on "icy road".

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422125603.885065.jpg

The tide pushed this slab of ice onto the road. It is about 4-5" thick and standing a bit higher due to lumps underneath. Overall the ice is about 5 feet wide and 6 feet long. Goodbye muffler if you drive over it.

This one is dedicated to the Venomator.

View attachment 61019

When I photographed this it was just a small piece of oddly shaped clearish ice which I shot close-up with the iPhone right on the ice. I couldn't even get a really good look at it until later. Then it began to take on a most snake-like appearance. Once I recognized the snake I thought of Venomator so I brought up the natural green in the ice and then found the "eye", which I did not create (honest) but enhanced a bit by local lightening and darkening to make it show up better.
Brilliant Brian, I love what you have done with this natural phenomena... :notworthy:

Thank you for pointing me to this, it is really rather awesome Sir... :D

Arriving at friends for supper I took the opportunity to photograph the darkening sky and the pond reflecting the sky in the foreground. Icy wind chased me back indoors.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422322881.321942.jpg

All evening the wind howled outside while we stayed close to the wood stove in the living room.
PureShot was used to make the HDR set. The unbelievable sky is a result of playing with Alien Sky. The moon appeared in pretty much that position later but nowhere near full.

Rocky and Boris.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422323153.247717.jpg

Seeing me wearing my hand made beaver hat when I came in the house my friend went upstairs looking for his fur hat from Russia. We posed in the living room for a fun picture. The hats with ear flaps reminded me of Rocky the Flying Squirrel from the TV cartoons and the Russian hat reminded me of another character on the show - the bumbling Russian spy, Boris Badenoff. Naturally, I'm the hero, Rocky, on the right

Today was quite chilly. -20*C with the wind chill. We went down to the village of Alma nearby to see what was happening at the wharf.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422323604.777265.jpg

Moment wide angle lens on iPhone 6, PureShot for HDR sets.
Along the eastern shore of New Brunswick all the water is frozen solid, there are no boats in the water at wharfs, in fact there are no boats at all near the wharf. All have been moved somewhere fro the winter. The beaches are ice covered. Meanwhile, here on the Bay of Fundy, the bay water is not frozen. The tidal movement keeps it from freezing even though the rivers nearby are all ice covered. At Alma wharf there are still hosts in the water and some were out today fishing.
I fumbled getting my iPhone out of my inner pocket and dropped it on the frozen ground right on a corner. I was very glad I had s sturdy case on my phone! No damage at all. Except to my nerves. My phone had to go back in my inner pocket as soon as I finished my shot to keep the battery warm.

Winter beach walking at the Bay of Fundy.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422324289.236361.jpg

The enormous tides melt away any snow on the beach leaving it clear for walking at low tides all winter. This is a very unique situation.

I'm shooting directly towards the sun, just outside the frame at the top. The iPhone 6 performs much better in backlight than my iPhone 5 did.
PureShot for HDR sets.

Looking up the Upper Salmon River. This area is often ice filled but the rising tide breaks up the ice and some floats out to the bay.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422324662.941257.jpg

Moment wide angle lens on iPhone 6. PureShot for HDR sets. Processed with AutoBracket & sometimes True HDR.

We are expecting a major winter storm over the next couple of days which means our satellite internet will likely be offline. Be back in touch by Thursday, I hope.

Back
Top Bottom