Winter around Alma

What a perfect day to go skiing! All that fresh snow made for excellent skin conditions. The temperature remained between -3 to -6*C with only light winds.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422582555.874623.jpg

Today was quite chilly. -20*C with the wind chill. We went down to the village of Alma nearby to see what was happening at the wharf.

View attachment 61109

Moment wide angle lens on iPhone 6, PureShot for HDR sets.
Along the eastern shore of New Brunswick all the water is frozen solid, there are no boats in the water at wharfs, in fact there are no boats at all near the wharf. All have been moved somewhere fro the winter. The beaches are ice covered. Meanwhile, here on the Bay of Fundy, the bay water is not frozen. The tidal movement keeps it from freezing even though the rivers nearby are all ice covered. At Alma wharf there are still hosts in the water and some were out today fishing.
I fumbled getting my iPhone out of my inner pocket and dropped it on the frozen ground right on a corner. I was very glad I had s sturdy case on my phone! No damage at all. Except to my nerves. My phone had to go back in my inner pocket as soon as I finished my shot to keep the battery warm.
Good thing you phone suffered no harm. These are fantastic images, love the ices ones!

Rocky and Boris.

View attachment 61108

Seeing me wearing my hand made beaver hat when I came in the house my friend went upstairs looking for his fur hat from Russia. We posed in the living room for a fun picture. The hats with ear flaps reminded me of Rocky the Flying Squirrel from the TV cartoons and the Russian hat reminded me of another character on the show - the bumbling Russian spy, Boris Badenoff. Naturally, I'm the hero, Rocky, on the right
I have a sheepskin one like that :), only I have not found it yet this year. Wain't where I normally leave it...

I have a sheepskin one like that :), only I have not found it yet this year. Wain't where I normally leave it...
Your sheepskin hat might get misplaced in July. On the other hand, you know what they say about the seasons in Canada, there are only 2 - last winter, and the winter coming. Best be prepared for any eventuality.
We have another winter snowstorm today - expecting another 30cm. Time for some snowshoeing.

Your sheepskin hat might get misplaced in July. On the other hand, you know what they say about the seasons in Canada, there are only 2 - last winter, and the winter coming. Best be prepared for any eventuality.
We have another winter snowstorm today - expecting another 30cm. Time for some snowshoeing.
Hopefully you will not get that much snow. This morning is -16 and now sunny, got about 15mm of very fine snow so it builds up and packs itself so surface was hard and when you shovel it comes up in chunks.

Lots of snow and wind overnight. First thing this morning I had to shovel a path so Woofie could get out. She was distressed at having very limited space to do her thing. [emoji85] There was easily 40 cm in many areas. More like 1 metre at the end of the driveway!

Then came a most welcome sight.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422992171.540480.jpg

Our neighbour from down the road with his farm tractor and big snow blower. Saved me a good 3 hours of shovelling. The biggest problem becomes where to push the snow. It's too soft to walk on so the ramps get very high and steep. The snowblower throws the snow way back from the driveway.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422992441.022998.jpg

Some of the snow is caught by the wind and blows away.

Then I just have another hour to tidy up what's left between the house and car, etc. Even with all the shovelling saved I'm still tired.

Lots of snow and wind overnight. First thing this morning I had to shovel a path so Woofie could get out. She was distressed at having very limited space to do her thing. [emoji85] There was easily 40 cm in many areas. More like 1 metre at the end of the driveway!

View attachment 61336

Our neighbour from down the road with his farm tractor and big snow blower. Saved me a good 3 hours of shovelling. The biggest problem becomes where to push the snow. It's too soft to walk on so the ramps get very high and steep. The snowblower throws the snow way back from the driveway.

View attachment 61337

Then I just have another hour to tidy up what's left between the house and car, etc. Even with all the shovelling saved I'm still tired.
Egads.... I can never complain about snow again. :eek:

View attachment 61336

View attachment 61337

Yes, it's nice to have good neighbours :)
After a larger snow fall here it depends on who gets out faster myself or my neighbour, we will do each other's if we are out first or if the other is away, nice to come home to a cleared driveway.

Looks SO fun!! I've never used snowshoes before...
Yes, it is fun. Especially when the snow is much too deep to walk through. You have to adopt a wider stance with your feet and pick up your feet more than normal. How far you sink in the snow is a function of your weight and the size of your snowshoes and the softness of the snow. Smaller snowshoes are easier to walk in but don't support you as well in deep powder snow. Right now the snow is about 2.5+ feet deep in the woods.
The person breaking the trail is doing most of the work. Once the powder snow on the trail is packed down a bit it is even easier to walk on because you don't have to pick up your feet as much.
The snow covers over brush, fallen trees, etc. You can go places you wouldn't go in summer. The story of local animal activity is written in the snow by their tracks.
The forecast is for another 20cm on Thursday. [emoji2] Good for more skiing and snowshoeing [emoji41] but more work shovelling [emoji123] (is that a muscle or a turkey leg?)
From a photographic standpoint snow cover simplifies the landscape. Cleans up a multitude of untidy stuff on the ground. A reduction in chaos. It is a step towards abstraction. Snow makes the deep woods lighter since the dark forest floor is covered with reflective white.

Yes, it is fun. Especially when the snow is much too deep to walk through. since the dark forest floor is covered with reflective white.

I really enjoy your stories, Brian - you and Lzed Larry describe a world I've never seen, and I love to hear of (and see) the 'little' details of your everyday lives that are so unusual to me here in arid australia. And I particulary love the way your narrative moves from the pragmatic (the optimal stance in snowshoes) to the painterly (the reduction in chaos of snow).

I really enjoy your stories, Brian - you and Lzed Larry describe a world I've never seen, and I love to hear of (and see) the 'little' details of your everyday lives that are so unusual to me here in arid australia. And I particulary love the way your narrative moves from the pragmatic (the optimal stance in snowshoes) to the painterly (the reduction in chaos of snow).
You will have to tell us more about your area of the world and post pics showing us also. I love seeing different landscape. Do you ever see snow where you are? Doesn't sound like it.
We were talking to one of Karen's cousins, they have the farm beside the family farm and he was saying there has been very little snow up there. Today it's cold there (and here at -25) and here little wind but up there I guess it's blowing quite a bit.
I know in the spring it's going look bad around here, lots of stuff does get covered by the snow.

You will have to tell us more about your area of the world and post pics showing us also. I love seeing different landscape. Do you ever see snow where you are? Doesn't sound like it.
We were talking to one of Karen's cousins, they have the farm beside the family farm and he was saying there has been very little snow up there. Today it's cold there (and here at -25) and here little wind but up there I guess it's blowing quite a bit.
I know in the spring it's going look bad around here, lots of stuff does get covered by the snow.
This recent commentary has really made me think about what I have shown and what I haven't. So many little details locals take for granted but might be quite interesting. As I drove to town today I was thinking about the things I haven't photographed for quite a while. Also, the things I have often photographed with my DSLRs but never with my iPhone. I'm going to be thinking differently as I photograph.
Today I stopped to make a couple of photos of a front end loader being used to push back snow at the side of the road. The main snowplows couldn't push the snow any higher so the road narrowed to one lane. I have often seen it happen there but today I thought, there's something for Mobitog. For some reason both shots came out out of focus. Both were HDRs and every shot was out of focus. In the bright sun I must have done something I couldn't see on the screen. I may have to put it here anyhow. If you know how big a front end loader is then you'll realize just how high the snowbank has become. Too bad we can't spend what's in the snowbank. We would be rich!
I also plan to show some pictures of the minimalism of snow.

This recent commentary has really made me think about what I have shown and what I haven't. So many little details locals take for granted but might be quite interesting. As I drove to town today I was thinking about the things I haven't photographed for quite a while. Also, the things I have often photographed with my DSLRs but never with my iPhone. I'm going to be thinking differently as I photograph.
Today I stopped to make a couple of photos of a front end loader being used to push back snow at the side of the road. The main snowplows couldn't push the snow any higher so the road narrowed to one lane. I have often seen it happen there but today I thought, there's something for Mobitog. For some reason both shots came out out of focus. Both were HDRs and every shot was out of focus. In the bright sun I must have done something I couldn't see on the screen. I may have to put it here anyhow. If you know how big a front end loader is then you'll realize just how high the snowbank has become. Too bad we can't spend what's in the snowbank. We would be rich!
I also plan to show some pictures of the minimalism of snow.
I remember one year we drove out to Vancouver for Christmas and on the one highway it was just like driving in a tunnel minus the roof. The snow was higher then the tops of semi's pretty amazing. I think somewhere I have real film photos of it. Karen has pictures at the family farm back in the late 70’s that shows snow drifts as high as the barn which is probably 30' high. I have pictures I think from two years ago with around 20' drifts at the farm. But yes post your images please..

These are all within last 24-36 hours: news &/or SM images, sorry - I'll take some of my local burned-out-bush later today.

Back
Top Bottom