APPStracts, Photo Impressionism and other Mangled Images

Tiny snow crystals hanging under a plastic bird :cool:

Focos app, Retouch, iColorama, Distressed FX plus

4E736ACD-2B77-4011-BA2F-5B985306FBEF.jpeg

Last edited:
Fantastic :inlove:

I don’t find these apps in App Store. Not that I need any new apps ;) but still...
Here's Light | Long Exposure

Here's Light | Long Exposure

:thumbs:

What am I missing here? These look blurry to me....I keep seeing a lot of images on Instagram that are also blurry looking...is this a new fad and I missed the call to action? I keep seeing them and wondering, “why?” I cannot think of any good reason to show off blurry images. Please tell me what I’m missing.

What am I missing here? These look blurry to me....I keep seeing a lot of images on Instagram that are also blurry looking...is this a new fad and I missed the call to action? I keep seeing them and wondering, “why?” I cannot think of any good reason to show off blurry images. Please tell me what I’m missing.
:D You're not missing anything, I think. It's blurry (in my case) because of intentional camera movement -- you'll probably see the #ICM tag on some of those Instagram photos you've seen. A lot of what you're seeing is being lumped into the category of "photoimpressionism," although any resemblance to paintings by the actual Impressionists is faint, at best. I suppose most people who do it would say it's an attempt to convey an impression (in my case here, the feeling of driving in a car at night). Sharp photos convey impressions also, of course -- this is just a different route to an end. Some people like it, some don't, same as with street photography, still lifes, and other genres. And just as with other genres, some results are good and most not so good. I just started experimenting with this in 2020, so I'm still pretty limited in what I can do, but I find it fun (if frustrating at times).

:D You're not missing anything, I think. It's blurry (in my case) because of intentional camera movement -- you'll probably see the #ICM tag on some of those Instagram photos you've seen. A lot of what you're seeing is being lumped into the category of "photoimpressionism," although any resemblance to paintings by the actual Impressionists is faint, at best. I suppose most people who do it would say it's an attempt to convey an impression (in my case here, the feeling of driving in a car at night). Sharp photos convey impressions also, of course -- this is just a different route to an end. Some people like it, some don't, same as with street photography, still lifes, and other genres. And just as with other genres, some results are good and most not so good. I just started experimenting with this in 2020, so I'm still pretty limited in what I can do, but I find it fun (if frustrating at times).
Thanks for the explanation :) I don’t think it’ll ever be my cup of tea, but at least now I understand (at least some of) the reason(s) why.

Now, you see? I like this one, but this one doesn’t seem as blurry and it looks like a low light shot so it makes visual sense to my brain. Maybe I’ll get the hang of this yet...
Here are some of the people I like to follow on Instagram who use camera motion and mix it with other techniques to get different results:

Luciano Siqueira

Andy Gray

Jeri Mersky

BugBlack

Jiri Hrebicek

Yvonne Raulston

Dave Parsons

Syed Uzair

Julie Mciver

Wes Schulstad

Ethereal Eye

(sinnerjohn? Want to add some of your favorite blur people?)

View attachment 163448

This tree still thinks it's autumn. I took a series of images using Slow Shutter Cam in Light Trails mode (rather than Motion Blur mode, which is what I more often do). I then stacked the images in Affinity Photo (Median stack mode, I think). The result came out rather one sided, all the color on the right, so I flipped a couple of layers in the stack.
This is amazing.... :inlove: :notworthy:

Back
Top Bottom