Are You a Fun Guy or Girl?

I've no fungus but do have lichens.
Fungi share a common ancestor with animals.
Lichens are a symbiotic relationship between plants and fungi.
Macro lens. No idea what this is but found on a north york moor.
View attachment 100973

I wonder if these are the same thing.
Lichen CU Aug-12-015.jpg

There’s pixie cup lichen and the ones that stack one on top of the other are Ladder Lichen.

Your fungi really does look other-worldly.

That’s good! I’m trying for the viewpoint of one of the forest’s tiny denizens like a toad or mouse and thinking how a mushroom must look to them. Part of that is the ground level camera position. I often put my phone upside down to put the lens at the bottom to put it even closer to the ground. Then a big part is having a sufficiently solid background to avoid bright blobs of sky in the background. I like to imagine the forest canopy as a fairly closed roof but in real life avoiding the sky is a constant problem. If I’m stuck with bright blobs I won’t even bother to make the photo unless I can find a better vantage point.

Old Pics Backup-244.jpg

I expect these three are probably some sort of Russula by the shade of red cap with white stem - we have them around here, but it’s too early to tell for sure and I never went back to check when they were mature. They are probably black mush by now.
This picture made a nice version in BeCasso.

Found on our old iPad.
IMG_5627.JPG

At the beginning of the field trip portion of my close-up nature photo workshops I always do a demo to help get people going. Even though many people were using DSLRs I found it was better to use the iPad because the screen was so big and easy to see, even for a small group. I turn the iPad around so the lens is closer to the bottom edge, which I braced right on the ground. It is much easier and faster to make close-ups on a mobile device or compact camera than it is on a DSLR. Not the same image quality, though. People could immediately see the effects of camera placement as I explored the subject and we discussed compositions and the effects camera position had on the background. Once the camera position was decided then we would use the reflectors to accent the lighting. Then they were off to make their own pictures.

View attachment 101026
I expect these three are probably some sort of Russula by the shade of red cap with white stem - we have them around here, but it’s too early to tell for sure and I never went back to check when they were mature. They are probably black mush by now.
This picture made a nice version in BeCasso.
They’re so cute!

This is the problem.
IMG_5054.JPG

This is what bugs me on the iPhone. You can’t get enough depth of field to cover the mushroom from the front edge of the cap to the stem. The tree is in focus but the stem is too fuzzy. Only focus stacking can overcome this problem.

Back
Top Bottom