Are You a Fun Guy or Girl?

View attachment 100951
I don’t know what sort of fungus this is and haven’t spent time trying to find out. Each one is quite small, about 5 or 6mm.
I presume you’ve heard of the Bay of Fungi mushroom company Brian. They certainly have a large selection of mushrooms for sale, and also grow-your-own.

Oak Tree Imitator Sleeper ‘Guy... :whistle:

0520D839-E070-44CD-B430-3BD363B0D70D.jpeg

Didn’t notice the wriggley worms until after the crop... :rog:

Native Camera - x2 TelePhoto Cropped & Enhanced Only in Photos... :D

Third Vault Trail-018.jpg

I really enjoy Lichens. Various lichens inhabit rocks making imaginary maps. Including Map Lichen.
West Point 2 July-29-023.jpg

Many lichens spread out from a central point and sometimes the centre dies off leaving a circle.
Lichens aren’t as popular as mushrooms so there are fewer books about them. Grasses suffer the same fate even though there are a great number of beautiful and interesting grasses. They can’t compete with flowers.

I found some!

This is “citrongul slemskivling” that I found in a corner of our garden today. I really thought their season was over for this year.

Scientific name: Gomphidius glutinosus
English: slimy spike-cap (according to Wiki)

IMG_8156.JPG

View attachment 100959
I really enjoy Lichens. Various lichens inhabit rocks making imaginary maps. Including Map Lichen.
View attachment 100963
Many lichens spread out from a central point and sometimes the centre dies off leaving a circle.
Lichens aren’t as popular as mushrooms so there are fewer books about them. Grasses suffer the same fate even though there are a great number of beautiful and interesting grasses. They can’t compete with flowers.
I love lichens too.

View attachment 100959
View attachment 100963
I had no idea that lichens were a combination of fungi and algae - I have learned something new today. Marvellous.:thumbs:

View attachment 100937
I expect this is some Vermilion Hygrophorus just emerging.
No one can compete with the amazing fungi you have, Brian. We have had wonderful fungi on the golf course and there is just no chance to photograph them. I will have to go out on a reccie tomorrow and see if I can find some.

I’m puzzled by the title of this thread. It doesn’t seem to me that people who spend a lot of time on their knees photographing mushrooms are thought of as fun guys & gals. Maybe more a little on the weird side. I’m speaking of public perception you understand.

I’m puzzled by the title of this thread. It doesn’t seem to me that people who spend a lot of time on their knees photographing mushrooms are thought of as fun guys & gals. Maybe more a little on the weird side. I’m speaking of public perception you understand.
It took me a minute too.... “FUN-GI” = fun-guy, a play on the pronunciation.

I had no idea that lichens were a combination of fungi and algae - I have learned something new today. Marvellous.:thumbs:

Yes, lichens really are quite fascinating, especially when you realize that most of them don’t actually derive nourishment from the surface they choose to anchor themselves, such as rocks, roofing shingles, plastic siding on houses.

I’ve always thought it would be wonderful to harvest wild mushrooms, but I’ve never gotten the training. And even then.... as you say, just the slightest error and... :barf: I’m not sure I’d ever feel quite confident enough. :eek:

Better to err on the side of caution. It helps if you can spend some time with real experts in the woods until you feel confident about your choices. I first started studying mushrooms as a result of photographing them and then wanting to name them on the slides. Back around 1970. I also got some encouragement by a mycologist when he saw some of my mushroom pictures at a biologists’ meeting where I was the “entertainment”. I live right beside the woods so I have a lot of exposure to fungi. Like anything else, the more you look at something the more it becomes familiar.
I soon learned it is much easier to identify a mushroom in the field than from the photo. There is always some important detail essential to the ID that isn’t in your photo. I’ve passed the time when I really needed to know the name of each one in my photos and now I sometimes just enjoy the forms and colours.
Mushrooms make good close-up subjects. They don’t wave in the wind like flowers, you don’t have to get them to smile, they don’t run away. You can take all the time you like and they never get tired.

It’s a rather lovely morning and I needed to get some provisions from the hardware store so decided to walk through the forest and see if I could find any fun guys :lol:. There was very little and I suppose I wasn’t surprised as it’s not very damp at the moment but I persevered. Most of them were pretty dull and on their own.

First one that had a little potential. It was only after seeing it on the iPad Pro that I saw the perfectly round hole in it. No edits except reduction in size. Looks like a biscuit!
3E6DC9AA-D730-4B2E-A214-3FFEB5CBA001.jpeg

Oh! Then I thought I was really lucky to find a lone red one! Snapseed.
D1FEC3B0-9D19-410F-9856-2460E1D31F7F.jpeg

I went into a more overgrown area. Yippee, an old dead silver birch with some pretty frills. Snapseed.
0786002A-1D8F-4F55-8ABD-AFDCED38794C.jpeg

View attachment 100959
View attachment 100963
Natural Abstract Art at it’s best!

It’s a rather lovely morning and I needed to get some provisions from the hardware store so decided to walk through the forest and see if I could find any fun guys :lol:. There was very little and I suppose I wasn’t surprised as it’s not very damp at the moment but I persevered. Most of them were pretty dull and on their own.

First one that had a little potential. It was only after seeing it on the iPad Pro that I saw the perfectly round hole in it. No edits except reduction in size. Looks like a biscuit!
View attachment 100983

Oh! Then I thought I was really lucky to find a lone red one! Snapseed.
View attachment 100984

I went into a more overgrown area. Yippee, an old dead silver birch with some pretty frills. Snapseed.
View attachment 100985

The last one looks like a Multi-zoned Poly-something that we have here. Polystyctus maybe?

Back
Top Bottom