BargainWatch *post app bargains here*

Super find. Thank you.
IMG_6983.JPG

I just tried FL Infinite: it was free but I'm not sure if it still is.
Filterloop Infinite - Instant Analog Photo Effect by Platform
https://appsto.re/ca/6Euqeb.i
This is a one button app that creates an endless stream of filter effects and supposedly film effects. You can't see what's coming next and you can't go back if you whizz by one and decide it needs a second look. It has an intensity slider. There is an adjustments icon but tapping it only leads to ads for the pro version of the app.
I tapped that button at least a hundred times but never found anything I liked better than my original unedited image, and I was in an experimental mood. If you like the hazy light leak look you might want to give it a try. Not my type of thing, though. Not a keeper for me.
Why is it that the predominate thinking behind film apps is to reduce the image quality when we know full well that digital cameras still can't duplicate the quality and tonality of a good film image. At least not until you get over 125MP.

Last edited:
My first camera was a Pocket Instamatic that used 110 film. It looked something like this.
IMG_1145.JPG

I never got a good image out of it. But that's not what I was looking for. I just wanted something that might help me catch moments, however blurry or shot with light leaks. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I decided it was all crap and I wanted to capture good images.

Some people - the majority, actually - don't progress past that. Slapping on a filter or a sticker is the extent of effort they want to make. It doesn't matter to them because the images are really disposable. They don't care about the resolution because they're scrolling through them on a small screen, and that's all they will ever see of them. "Remember, Jen? Too funny! [emoji12]"

For every one image we capture and craft, there are thousands being shared with no thought or reason beyond I love this color of polish or I'm thinking of getting a car like this. Naturally there will be apps on a lot of phones that cater to this use of phone cameras.

My first camera was a Pocket Instamatic that used 110 film. It looked something like this.
View attachment 89764
I never got a good image out of it. But that's not what I was looking for. I just wanted something that might help me catch moments, however blurry or shot with light leaks. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I decided it was all crap and I wanted to capture good images.

Some people - the majority, actually - don't progress past that. Slapping on a filter or a sticker is the extent of effort they want to make. It doesn't matter to them because the images are really disposable. They don't care about the resolution because they're scrolling through them on a small screen, and that's all they will ever see of them. "Remember, Jen? Too funny! [emoji12]"

For every one image we capture and craft, there are thousands being shared with no thought or reason beyond I love this color of polish or I'm thinking of getting a car like this. Naturally there will be apps on a lot of phones that cater to this use of phone cameras.
Gosh, that reminded me that I I had a similar one to this and so right the images were SO bad. I have images from my school days and varsity which are just awful. Fortunately I kept some of the negatives because I have been able to enhance one or two and at least have something sort of worth keeping from that era.

View attachment 89764
Gosh, that reminded me that I I had a similar one to this and so right the images were SO bad. I have images from my school days and varsity which are just awful. Fortunately I kept some of the negatives because I have been able to enhance one or two and at least have something sort of worth keeping from that era.
[emoji33] Very similar (unfortunately!) to the one I brought to Europe when I graduated from University and backpacked for 2 months. I was on a budget... (my "bible" was Europe on $25 a Day) and I didn't want to spend money on a new camera. I regret that choice still.... talk about *retro images*. :barf:

Vizzywig - Video Editor Movie Maker and Multi Camera Film Edit Effects Slideshow Music Editing Credits App by i4software
https://appsto.re/ca/Fih4z.i
Regular $27.99 in Canadian store now free for a very limited time
This is supposed to be all-in-one video shooting and editing - no more app switching. Haven't tried it yet but for that price it might be interesting. I got it anyhow. Look later.
Here's more: Hmmm.

***2014 VERSION FREE TODAY***
This is the original version of Vizzywig from 2014. The NEW 2017 version is $99 (sold separately on the AppStore). The world's first all-in-one, movie-making application for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch that lets you record, edit, and preview in real time! You can even connect multiple cameras.

I guess the whole point of this is to get you to try the old version and then you will be anxious to spend your $99(!!) on the 2017 version. Right.

I'm thankful I never had one of those. My first camera was a Kodak folding bellows camera, my dad's old camera. It shot large 620 film and the picture quality was very good. I still have it. My next camera was a 126 Instamatic which had film size almost as big as 35mm. I have lots of good pictures made with that camera. The pictures are clear and sharp, except the ones where I tried to take pictures too close, which seemed to be my main interest for a while until I realized it was never going to work and largely stopped taking pictures except the basic ones. I got my first 35mm SLR in 1970. My future father in law gave me a used Minolta SR1. It required a hand held light meter and made very good pictures. That changed everything. Suddenly photography was a consuming passion. And it could focus much closer. All my first pictures were close-ups. Before the end of my first roll of film I had taped a magnifying glass to the front of the lens and I made even closer pictures. Soon after that I got extension tubes. In the first 3 years I had that camera I hardly ever made any pictures farther than 24" away from the camera. I quickly switched to slide film. Lots of nature close-ups, insects, mushrooms. It connected my love of nature with photography and I spent lots of time walking in the woods. I bought my first Olympus OM-1 camera, which at the time was a ground breaking design - the smallest and lightest 35mm SLR. I bought a macro lens, and extension tubes and bellows, and not long after a second OM-1 so I could shoot different films, mostly Fujichrome & Kodachrome. I didn't "discover" landscape/seascape photography until I moved to New Brunswick in 1973.

Last edited:
I'm thankful I never had one of those. My first camera was a Kodak folding bellows camera, my dad's old camera. It shot large 620 film and the picture quality was very good. I still have it. My next camera was a 126 Instamatic which had film size almost as big as 35mm. I have lots of good pictures made with that camera. The pictures are clear and sharp, except the ones where I tried to take pictures too close, which seemed to be my main interest for a while until I realized it was never going to work and largely stopped taking pictures except the basic ones. I got my first 35mm SLR in 1970. My future father in law gave me a used Minolta SR1. It required a hand held light meter and made very good pictures. That changed everything. Suddenly photography was a consuming passion. And it could focus much closer. All my first pictures were close-ups. Before the end of my first roll of film I had taped a magnifying glass to the front of the lens and I made even closer pictures. Soon after that I got extension tubes. In the first 3 years I had that camera I hardly ever made any pictures farther than 24" away from the camera. I quickly switched to slide film. Lots of nature close-ups, insects, mushrooms. It connected my love of nature with photography and I spent lots of time walking in the woods. I bought my first Olympus OM-1 camera, which at the time was a ground breaking design - the smallest and lightest 35mm SLR. I bought a macro lens, and extension tubes and bellows, and not long after a second OM-1 so I could shoot different films, mostly Fujichrome & Kodachrome. I didn't "discover" landscape/seascape photography until I moved to New Brunswick in 1973.
I think I mentioned before that a box camera was my first but the film was always too expensive for me to take many photos but way better than the horrible camera with the 110 film.

I think I mentioned before that a box camera was my first but the film was always too expensive for me to take many photos but way better than the horrible camera with the 110 film.

I still have a few B&W photos I made when I was 10 or 12. That's when I first discovered apertures and shutter speeds. I'm not sure who paid for the film I used, if it was allowance or parental benevolence but my general memory is that money was short. Later I had a paper route to earn some money.

Instaflash Pro free at the moment. The Pro version has the very useful Light EQ and Color EQ tools. It has almost all the tools found in ACDSee Pro (and looks very much the same) except for the brush tool for applying adjustments to selected areas.
Must have downloaded it in a past life :lol:

Instaflash Pro free at the moment. The Pro version has the very useful Light EQ and Color EQ tools. It has almost all the tools found in ACDSee Pro (and looks very much the same) except for the brush tool for applying adjustments to selected areas.
Thanks Ted. I've grabbed it. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom