Brian's Winter Close-ups

What a good idea. Although, spring here feels too long. It goes on and on never quite getting warm, muddy ground, rain, occasional frosts, delaying working in the garden until at least June. Just when it starts to get "nice" the black flies come out. Summer really is only a month long -August. Fall is nice and long here. So far this winter is not consistent enough to have good snow for skiing - too much ice. We get snow, then rain, then cold with not enough snow to protect the ground. It's a weird winter.
But, you know the old joke about the seasons in Canada, eh?, there's last winter leaving and next winter coming.

Yes, I guess I needed to clarify that the seasons should mimic those of the New York zone, not Canada. LOL Otherwise I'd say 2 months of Spring, 6 months of Summer, 3 months of Fall and 1 month of Winter.

Holy wow.... your car!!! [emoji33] How would you get this off if you needed to go somewhere? I've had ice all over my car before but not this thick.
You certainly can't clear off this amount of ice in a hurry and there's a lot of potential to damage the car. In this case the weather started warming up and we had nowhere to go so we left it alone. By the next day we could peel off the ice quite easily.
If you need to hurry it along you can thump the ice with your palm in the middle of big surfaces, like the roof, hood and doors. They have enough give to bounce but the ice will crack. Not the glass, though.
I have had thicker ice while visiting farther north in Escuminac. Minimum 3/4" all over. With a cold wind and no sun the ice was like rock. The only solution was to start the car with the remote starter and leave it running for about an hour until gradually the innermost ice next to the car started to melt. Then I could start chipping it off. Once you have an edge you can get under it starts coming off in big pieces.
Of course, before getting on the road you need to get all the ice off to be sure it doesn't fly off at speed and break somebody's windshield.

Watermarked(2017-02-05-1108).jpg

Treetop pointing down.
I separated the background using Tadaa SLR (mask & blur).
An unusual feature of this ice storm is that the tree tops were gradually bending downward so the ice and icicles became bent according to the position at the time. The treetops ended up pointing down. More on this later!
Watermarked1(2017-02-04-1955).jpg

Here is the exposed side of our mailbox, heavily iced.
Watermarked6(2017-02-04-1954).jpg

The front of the mailbox. The door handle, and then looking at the edge of the mailbox showing at least 2cm, 3/4" ice.

Wow, Brian, though your winter is mean and threatening, dangerous and not really something nice :eek:, it makes the most unusual, great, gorgeous, interesting and lovely pictures. :inlove: Like the fine line between love and hate, genius and madness this is danger and beauty that are so close together. :inlove::notworthy:

Watermarked(2017-02-06-1035).jpg

Upper branch tip of Maple tree now hanging down close to the ground. The new branch tips are red but usually too high to see up close.
The curved icicles result from the changes of angle as the branches, once upright, gradually bent downwards towards the ground.
Iphone7+, Tadaa SLR.

Wow, Brian, though your winter is mean and threatening, dangerous and not really something nice :eek:, it makes the most unusual, great, gorgeous, interesting and lovely pictures. :inlove: Like the fine line between love and hate, genius and madness this is danger and beauty that are so close together. :inlove::notworthy:

It's interesting that I don't think of winter as being mean. One needs to be cautious of the cold weather of course when planning an excursion, or planning a drive. Experience prepares you with knowing the right sort of clothing to wear. Overall the winter is quite beautiful. Snow blanketing the ground covers up a multitude of messy stuff, leaving vast areas of simplicity. Wonderful for minimalism and graphic design.

View attachment 88470
Upper branch tip of Maple tree now hanging down close to the ground. The new branch tips are red but usually too high to see up close.
The curved icicles result from the changes of angle as the branches, once upright, gradually bent downwards towards the ground.
Iphone7+, Tadaa SLR.

Wow.... beautiful. Almost looks like a vein encased in ice.

View attachment 88470
Iphone7+, Tadaa SLR.
Beautiful. :thumbs:

View attachment 88470
Iphone7+, Tadaa SLR.
It could also be in the Found Faces thread as a saw-toothed something-or-other.

I'm intrigued to know how that top icicle formed. :)

It helps to visualize what was happening to the tree during the ice storm. These branches were pointing straight up at first. That's when they got the main ice load. When the weight became too much the tree started to bend over. Now the rain-becoming-ice started dripping off in a new direction, starting the icicles. As the ice & weight increased, the branches gradually bent down more, and the icicles kept adjusting to the new "down" direction. Later the tree top bent completely over and the icicle shapes no longer make sense at all.

Watermarked(2017-02-07-0718).jpg

I photographed plenty of these shapes but maybe that's enough for now.
This one was masked and background blurred in Leonardo rather than Tadaa SLR. Tadaa is a bit easier since it has more edge detection but I keep forgetting it doesn't give full resolution, so after all the masking work the image is limited to screen viewing or tiny printing. With Leonardo you have to make the layers manually but in the overall time spent this is insignificant, especially to gain full resolution and numerous other editing features. Sometimes the edge recognition in Tadaa becomes more of a pain and has to be shut off, so then it's the same with either one. I should delete Tadaa so I won't forget the low resolution again. I thought Enlight might be good for this, too, but it lacks a good blur.

Watermarked5(2017-02-04-1956).jpg

These little bits of grass by the driveway were so insignificant that I never noticed them until they became encased in ice. I had shovelled over this grass several times while clearing the driveway yet apparently it didn't get shaved off. Pretty durable stuff. Here they are completely encased in ice and still standing.
IMG_8550.JPG

Nearby treetops looked like this.
IMG_8571.JPG

Here's an apple tree weighed down so much I thought it might fall flat.
IMG_8725.JPG

This tall birch tree near the end of my driveway was bent right over touching the ground, blocking the driveway, yet it didn't break, and the next day was standing upright again. (This is only one branch of it)
There's some sort of a saying about the key to survival is being flexible enough to bend while the inflexible will snap. Here we see it being played out in real life.

View attachment 88628
These little bits of grass by the driveway were so insignificant that I never noticed them until they became encased in ice. I had shovelled over this grass several times while clearing the driveway yet apparently it didn't get shaved off. Pretty durable stuff. Here they are completely encased in ice and still standing.
View attachment 88629
Nearby treetops looked like this.
View attachment 88630
Here's an apple tree weighed down so much I thought it might fall flat.
View attachment 88631
This tall birch tree near the end of my driveway was bent right over touching the ground, blocking the driveway, yet it didn't break, and the next day was standing upright again. (This is only one branch of it)
There's some sort of a saying about the key to survival is being flexible enough to bend while the inflexible will snap. Here we see it being played out in real life.

I've never seen anything alike. [emoji50]

True but it makes unbelievable pictures. FundyBrian did you offer them to national geographics? Wouldn't be surprised if they'd buy some. [emoji4]

Thanks for the encouragement but I would be surprised is NG is buying pictures these days. We get a good ice storm every year or so so the pictures aren't that uncommon around here. In milder climates I guess it looks pretty dramatic in the same way southern weather events look pretty dramatic to us. I enjoy a good ice storm, as long as it isn't too damaging, for the great photo opportunity it makes. Of course a lot depends on the lighting quality we get just after the ice event. Crisp cold and sun & blue skies are great for ice photos. But sometimes we get dull skies and rain so the opportunities are over quite quickly. Usually the first day is the best.

Back
Top Bottom