Cat's Every Now & Then Project

Thanks Gouvy! [emoji4]

I don't know what it is, but am very curious. I saw several... don't know if it's part of a sea creature, or a type of sea vegetable? Anyone seen them before? FundyBrian ?

It does look like a shed skin but of a clam worm or some other sand worm. They can get to be a good size.

Thanks Jason.
I think the 7 Plus is a big step up from my 5S (the zoom and portrait mode are fantastic) but not sure it would make that big a difference coming from the 6S. My battery lasts a long time though, which is great. I'm totally used to the size now... the screen doesn't even seem "big" any more. I miss being able to stick it in my front jeans pocket without fear it'll pop out, or the breast pocket of my denim jacket, but it's a small price to pay.

Phone calls?? What are those?

Yes, jasongag, I agree, too. It lasts much longer on the battery than my 6 did, especially in cold weather. It felt big at first but I'm used to it now. The bigger screen size is very nice and it's a bit brighter. Love the Portrait Mode and dual lenses. That's a big one. I hardly ever use it as a phone but it seems better, size wise, than the 6 as a phone. A little more length to get the mic closer to your mouth. Although I'm more inclined to use the ear pods with built in mic for phone calls.
The only real pain is having the EarPods on the Lightning connector so you can't charge and listen at the same time. However, the digital audio from the Lightning connector is better quality than from the 1/8" jack. Plus, and it's a big one, water resistant! 1/2 hour at 3 feet under. Independent tests tried it deeper and deeper under water where it didn't show signs of problems until 27 feet under water! Certainly good enough for kayaking. The dual speakers are louder, too. Larger gamut display. Lots of things.

Thanks Gouvy! [emoji4]

I don't know what it is, but am very curious. I saw several... don't know if it's part of a sea creature, or a type of sea vegetable? Anyone seen them before? FundyBrian ?

I looked up the worms in my seashore field guides. We have some here but not as many as a bit further south. The Annelida are the segmented worms and most of the marine varieties belong to the class Polychaeta, which basically means many hairs, because most have short stiff bristles on either side of the body. 20cm seems a common size but some are larger. Some live stationary lives in burrows or tubes and come to the surface to find food. Others hide under rocks and move around to look for food. The segments are all the same, except in diameter. Some will die off after laying their eggs and there may be many dead ones around all at once which will catch the attention of sea birds.

I looked up the worms in my seashore field guides. We have some here but not as many as a bit further south. The Annelida are the segmented worms and most of the marine varieties belong to the class Polychaeta, which basically means many hairs, because most have short stiff bristles on either side of the body. 20cm seems a common size but some are larger. Some live stationary lives in burrows or tubes and come to the surface to find food. Others hide under rocks and move around to look for food. The segments are all the same, except in diameter. Some will die off after laying their eggs and there may be many dead ones around all at once which will catch the attention of sea birds.

Found out it's a Knobbed Whelk egg case, also known as Mermaid's Necklace.

IMG_4951.JPG

...and then I made a nice face scrub with the leftover almond pulp + coconut oil + lavender essential oil. :)

IMG_4953.JPG

iPhone 7 Plus, Snapseed, Phonto

Now that milk looks wonderful. And the pulp is useful too. Marvellous.
The milk is so delicious. I had to force myself not to guzzle it all down. It really makes me happy to make things like this!! :D

Next time I might dry out the pulp and use it to bake something...

p.s. I've had my nutmilk bag for several years... :rolleyes: :whistle:

Well done on both! I've switched to Almond milk but haven't tried making my own. Someday maybe...
I have been saying "someday" too, and now I'm all "why'd you wait so long??" It takes literally 10-15 minutes (after soaking almonds overnight) - soooo easy. The drawback that I'm seeing is a) organic raw almonds are super expensive, and b) it's such a waste of almond meal/pulp as I can't possibly use it all so it just gets tossed. Feels wasteful, and the fiber is good for you. Maybe I just won't make it all the time..... I'm torn.

The milk is so delicious. I had to force myself not to guzzle it all down. It really makes me happy to make things like this!! :D

Next time I might dry out the pulp and use it to bake something...

p.s. I've had my nutmilk bag for several years... :rolleyes: :whistle:

Looks fabulous - how many almonds for that much milk? And do you have a pic of the bag? And/or DIY instructions?

PS: I've made almond butter and cashew butter but never the milk. I thought it looked like a lot of time/fuss for small output. Now I'm inspired :) don't forget recipes for the pulp ! :D

Looks fabulous - how many almonds for that much milk?
Only one cup!

And/or DIY instructions?
:D

Almond Milk

1 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight
3 cups filtered water (I used more like 2 cups - makes it richer/creamier)
1 vanilla bean, chopped into a few pieces (optional, but recommended)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Dash of fine sea salt

Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into your nutmilk bag and drain/squeeze out all of the milk into a large bowl. Ladle milk into jars and refrigerate.

What to do with leftover almond pulp:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/what-to-do-with-leftover-almond-pulp/

don't forget recipes for the pulp ! :D
Here's one I found/saved... it's like an almond hummus:

Almond Spread

To make my hearty, Versatile Almond Spread that you can whip up in minutes, you’ll need:

2 cloves of garlic
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in water (oil packed is fine, just adjust oil later on)
1 T dijon mustard
4 sprigs fresh lemon thyme (regular thyme works too – as do other herbs!)
1 1/2 cups fresh almond pulp
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste.

To make the spread: in a food processor, chop garlic with lemon juice and sun dried tomatoes. Add mustard and thyme and process until evenly minced. Add in almond pulp and process to combine well. Drizzle in olive oil. Add nutritional yeast and combine well. Pate should be smooth and fluffy. Adjust oil and lemon juice as needed, and add salt and pepper to taste. This pate gets better as it ages and ferments slightly, so keep in a sealed jar in the refrigerator until needed. Serve with crackers, crudites, or use as a spread anywhere you like.

IMG_5246.JPG

IMG_5245.JPG

Wow that looks fantastic. Definitely give that a go. 'Raw almonds' = skin on?

And the bag is just a muslin tie bag. Suppose you could use a sieve as well.

Thank you! Off to check your leftover recipe :)

Wow that looks fantastic. Definitely give that a go. 'Raw almonds' = skin on?

And the bag is just a muslin tie bag. Suppose you could use a sieve as well.

Thank you! Off to check your leftover recipe :)
Yes, raw (best if organic) almonds with skin on. I think a very fine sieve would work... a big one if possible. But there's something satisfying about squeezing and squeezing the milk out of the bag.

I use a lot of almonds for breakfast. Couldn't you freeze the pulp?
Yes, it says the pulp can be frozen indefinitely. But my freezer isn't that large so if I froze all of my pulp I'd soon have a freezer full of it, LOL. If I still had my garden and compost pile it wouldn't be an issue.... :(

Back
Top Bottom