Everyday Susie (Hipstamatic)

The La Seine film came in February 2017's Montmartre Hipstapak. Montmartre is a hill on the north side of Paris, and in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it was home to many of France's most famous painters and writers. The film has rounded corners and distressed paper. The description is "A subtle aged quality and contrast with the shadows is imparted by this film." The contrast is more pronounced with the Hugo lens that comes with the pack, however Susie's pastel pinks do not look out of place here. This is a building that was under construction in downtown Seattle a couple years ago.

Photo 86: La Seine film

Construction
53546588984_07290678ef_o.jpg

The La Seine film came in February 2017's Montmartre Hipstapak. Montmartre is a hill on the north side of Paris, and in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it was home to many of France's most famous painters and writers. The film has rounded corners and distressed paper. The description is "A subtle aged quality and contrast with the shadows is imparted by this film." The contrast is more pronounced with the Hugo lens that comes with the pack, however Susie's pastel pinks do not look out of place here. This is a building that was under construction in downtown Seattle a couple years ago.

Photo 86: La Seine film

Construction
View attachment 200302
Seven years ago. How time flies. I seem to recall Montma was a very popular pak.

In January of last year, we got the Xerography Snappak. It came with a lens and two films. Today, Susie goes up against the black and white variant, Laser BW. This is a photo of a 1930’s Datsun roadster I photographed at the Nissan museum in Yokohama. As you can see, Susie completely blows out the photograph. I tried several different photographs, trying shots at night, day, dark, light, and Susie overwhelmed them all. I finally resorted to using the Pop Rox flash to get anything useful.

Photo 87: Laser BW

Datsun Roadster
HipstamaticPhoto-730397573.704833.jpeg

With Pop Rox flash
HipstamaticPhoto-730397684.311425.jpeg

original
OriginalPhoto-536983189.035126.jpeg

In January of last year, we got the Xerography Snappak. It came with a lens and two films. Today, Susie goes up against the black and white variant, Laser BW. This is a photo of a 1930’s Datsun roadster I photographed at the Nissan museum in Yokohama. As you can see, Susie completely blows out the photograph. I tried several different photographs, trying shots at night, day, dark, light, and Susie overwhelmed them all. I finally resorted to using the Pop Rox flash to get anything useful.

Photo 87: Laser BW

Datsun Roadster
View attachment 200312

With Pop Rox flash
View attachment 200311

original
View attachment 200310
That first one is definitely not an everyday combo, but I can see it could be very effective in certain cases, maybe when layered with another image.

And now for the color film from the Xerography Snappak, Laser CMYK, applied to another photo of a car. In this case, it’s a 1928/9 Ford Model A I found parked on a sidewalk like it’s the most normal thing in the world. Susie appears to get on well with this film.

Photo 88: Laser CMYK

Ford Model A
HipstamaticPhoto-730396726.176699.jpeg

The Malasaña Hipstapak was introduced in November 2022. Malasaña is a happening neighborhood in Madrid. The Libros film adds abstraction and mid-frame effects to the photo. It's not an easy film to like, but if you look at the First Friday thread for it, you'll see that people were able to get some very interesting shots with it. Still, if you look at it and say "it's just a novelty film", I can't say you're wrong. The film has such a strong personality, Susie is almost completely ignored. You can shake to change the effect of Libros, so here are a few results with the same photo.

Photo 89: Libros

Central Washington Vista I
53550383470_f1e7dd2827_o.jpg

Central Washington Vista II
53550137473_6b5e5f7e12_o.jpg

Central Washington Vista III
53550383845_ca805f67aa_o.jpg

For today’s photo, we’re going to start with a little history lesson. In December of 2011, Hipstamatic introduced a free camera app called Disposable, or D-Series. There were about three camera bodies that came with the app. Each camera had its own lens. I believe four films also came with the app. However, additional films and cameras were only available as in-app purchases. The films and lenses in Disposable were exclusive to Disposable. You couldn’t get them in the regular Hipstamatic app. Not only that, but some of the films were limited, I don’t remember the specific amounts, but it was something like you get ten rolls of a film for $1. The more you bought, the lower the price per roll was. People did not like having to constantly rebuy rolls of film.

IMG_3164.jpeg

Setting that aside, the app was a social app, but in a completely different way from Instagram or other photo sharing apps. Send your friends on Facebook a link, and everyone who had the app could shoot on the same roll of film together. So say you and a few of your Disposable using friends go to a music festival together. You all shoot separately, but all the shots go on the same roll of film. No one could see the photos until the full roll of 24 exposures were shot. When ready, everyone could see what everyone had shot on that roll of film. Hipstamatic had big plans for it. According to a contemporary article in Wired, “In the future the company plans to gamify their disposable cameras. Perhaps you'll find and unlock a particular camera based on a location you visit, or maybe you'll get one that's available for a certain fixed period of time (like a 12-hour festival, for instance).”

None of that happened. By September of 2012, less than a year after it was introduced, it was quietly removed from the App Store. The additional films were unavailable to repurchase. The app was still useable, but once the films you had purchased ran out, that was it. Only the basic unlimited films that came with the app would still be available. With Apple’s iOS constantly being updated, it wasn’t long before the app became outdated, unstable, and unusable. I had it on my iPhone 4S That was running iOS 6 at the time. The app was a little crash but still mostly useable. I resisted updating to 7 because I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to use the app anymore. I was right. iOS 7 killed Disposable and I was forced to delete it, despite having nearly 100 rolls of film I had purchased still in the app.

IMG_3165.jpeg

Even though I never used the app in its intended way (I don’t have a Facebook account), I enjoyed the app. I liked having to shoot the entire roll before I could see the results. I could just stay in the moment and compose and shoot shot after shot, instead of stopping to see (and possibly post) the results. I also loved the look of the app. The cameras looked a bit like a vintage Bell and Howell Electric Eye 127 film camera.

IMG_3167.jpeg

In April 2015, Hipstamatic brought it back as the DSPO app, but with two major changes. First, they got rid of the requirement to keep buying films you already bought. Second, instead of everyone waiting for 24 photos to be shot on the communal film roll, it was on a timer instead. One hour, two, twelve, twenty-four, whatever. When the timer was up, everyone got to see the photos. DSPO didn’t last long, either, although you can still see it on the Hipstamatic webpage. Hipstamatic - Hipstamatic DSPO

IMG_3170.png

In conjunction with the release of DSPO, Hipstamatic released the D-Series RetroPak. It had three lenses; Mark, Dee, and Gregory, and three films; BlacKeys 44, Dreamy, and Lite, all from the original Disposable app. I was especially happy to get BlacKeys 44 back, as it was one of my favorite b/w films from Hipstamatic.

All of the above is just a long-winded preamble to today‘s partner for Susie, Lite film. Hipstamatic says “Inspired by the D-Lite camera in Hipstamatic Disposable, this film adds light leaks and unexpected zip.” It seems to accentuate Susie’s charms rather than being steamrolled by her. This is a photo from a night of local folk music at Left Bank Books in Seattle‘s Pike Place Market back in 2017.

Photo 90: Lite

Folk Singer
HipstamaticPhoto-730542096.168902.jpeg

Last edited:
First Friday of October 2020 was the East Austin Hipstapak. The Lone Star Uno film says “Add a hint of deep indigo and ruffled edges to your photos, using this cowboy-inspired film.” I decided to try a night shot, see how well Susie worked with today’s film. I’m not seeing any “ruffled edges”, but the deep indigo manages to push through.

Photo 91: Lone Star Uno

Western Terminus of Interstate 90
HipstamaticPhoto-730089981.250694.jpeg

Last edited:
The Louis XIV infrared film came in the Versailles Hipstapak released back in March of 2015. The description is "The color shifting of this film creates the illusion of a dream in the 1600's." It's less harsh than Alfred, their other color infrared film. I think it works quite well with Susie, adding back a lot of definition lost when it's Susie by herself. This dog belongs to a coworker. She mostly works from home, but when she does make it in to the office, she brings this little pup with her. I can always tell he's here, because there are loud snuffling noises everywhere he goes.

Photo 92: Louis XIV

A Handsome Boy
53619912325_084182f835_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom