ICM Photography - Intentional Camera Movement Discussion

I thought I’d post here to wake the thread back up, and also to get some opinions on a photo. I took this yesterday using Slow Shutter, then tweaked it in Snapseed and smoothed some niggly bits in Metabrush. There is something about the twist/twirl part that I love, but I don’t know if it works in general - maybe it’s too abstract (it’s a beach).View attachment 180200
Blue and brown work well together. This is exactly David Attenborough's wardrobe colour scheme. Nice pic.

I did try a few things and weirdly, adding grain made it look really interesting. I didn’t think about mono, will have another play around. Thank you!
And thank you, I just told you to do something and then realised I should be doing this myself. Maybe we are too critical of our own work. I probably fall foul of that one.
After commenting on your photo, I took the dog round a rather boring park for a walk and intentionally went for (sort of) abstracts. It’ll be interesting if I ask the same question as you did.

Blue and brown work well together. This is exactly David Attenborough's wardrobe colour scheme. Nice pic.
I’ll have to check that out. A friend just gave us “The Blue Planet”. I don’t think I’ve ever paid attention to the wardrobe.

I’ll have to check that out. A friend just gave us “The Blue Planet”. I don’t think I’ve ever paid attention to the wardrobe.
He says it's because the viewers aren't watching to see him but the animals and plants. He's been wearing pretty much the same thing for years so his wardrobe doesn't detract.

I thought I’d post here to wake the thread back up, and also to get some opinions on a photo. I took this yesterday using Slow Shutter, then tweaked it in Snapseed and smoothed some niggly bits in Metabrush. There is something about the twist/twirl part that I love, but I don’t know if it works in general - maybe it’s too abstract (it’s a beach).View attachment 180200
It looked like a beach to me, straight off. I like it, simple and very graceful. (And I'm happy to see something new here. I seem to have lost my touch for ICM lately.)

Abstract is good.

The thread deserves to be woken up its an interesting corner of MobiTog.
However, I think there may be two problems with ICM. One its very difficult to do proper ICM on a mobile without resorting to apps and two, a lot of ICM looks a bit samey to me, its hard to get an individual look. That said I like your image, I just wish the colours were maybe a little bolder.

a lot of ICM looks a bit samey to me,
I have that problem with all genres of photography because we see so many images every day now. I'm sure I've seen many times more images than my parents ever did in their combined lifetimes (and they were both hobby photographers). As a result, some images stand out from the crowd not because they're good but only because they're different while our overworked eyes and imaginations tend to lump similar-looking images together and pass them by, even though one may be much better than the others. Image fatigue.

I have that problem with all genres of photography because we see so many images every day now. I'm sure I've seen many times more images than my parents ever did in their combined lifetimes (and they were both hobby photographers). As a result, some images stand out from the crowd not because they're good but only because they're different while our overworked eyes and imaginations tend to lump similar-looking images together and pass them by, even though one may be much better than the others. Image fatigue.
True.

I’ve tried tweaking the colours. Not found a mono version I like yet.

7D3E15D5-98B3-42B6-AF1B-3FFB3712FBD0.jpeg

1E7B06E3-4423-4886-9103-C5846C79171D.png

FCE6A4D7-016B-4C3E-9B84-9589A85A904C.jpeg

Darkness, Darkness
Be my pillow
Take my hand
And let me sleep
In the coolness of your shadow
In the silence of your deep

Camera+, 1/2 second exposure, 10-stop ND filter, straightening and a little lighting adjustment in Photos

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom