B&W RESULT:#109 Black & White Challenge

Marketing are chucking out a load of archived pics and sent them our way for some reason.
Most are from the 80s, 90s but there's some from WW2 or shortly after. I picked this as the only pic where most of the subjects are unselfconscious because of the presence of a camera (kids natch). All the rest looked so stiff and formal.
Snapseed, contrast, details, tonal contrast, black and white and drama. Quite some time spent with the healing brush.View attachment 118965
Awwww, isn’t this marvellous! I’d like to see one of the formal-looking ones too.:)

Party Hats 5,6 7 8, Sony Xperia
IMG_20160507_115954.jpg

Marketing are chucking out a load of archived pics and sent them our way for some reason.
Most are from the 80s, 90s but there's some from WW2 or shortly after. I picked this as the only pic where most of the subjects are unselfconscious because of the presence of a camera (kids natch). All the rest looked so stiff and formal.
Snapseed, contrast, details, tonal contrast, black and white and drama. Quite some time spent with the healing brush.View attachment 118965

Those kids’ faces :lmao: :inlove:

Thanks for going to the trouble with the healing brush - you’ve made a beautiful image :thumbs:

Nice.

Did you see Patti Smith’s cover at the Nobel awards ceremony?
Yes, she wrote a whole essay about that. I've always loved Patti Smith, 1975 the year I left school, punk was about to explode, everything was changing. I often dig out Horses, her first and best album, probably the first 'poetry' I heard and really connected with.

I’d like to see one of the formal-looking ones too.:)
I had another look through and found a story. Nearly all the pictures have Percival Whitley in who was the mayor of Halifax during the war. Here he is peering through to the camera from behind Winston Chirchill.
20190110_120925-01-01-01.jpeg

Percival Whitley is credited with creating vocational education in this area. The college I work at holds an educational trust that students in need can access and has one of it's buildings named after him.
During the war (1941/42) the UK had a drive to fund warships and towns and cities raised money for this. It was called Warship Week. There's a wikipedia article if you've a mind but the total amount raised for the war effort across the country was £955,611,589, which was equivalent to £39,000,000,000 in 2016.
Here's Percival addressing the town with the running total.
20190110_121028-01-01.jpeg

The town sponsored HMS Ajax
20190110_121047-01-01.jpeg

And Churchill came to help with the fund raising.
20190110_120925-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Erm... there's 70 odd. I'm not sure I'm up for restoring 70 pics o_O. That's several days work at least, not including researching the local history of it. :eek:
Ha ha I just meant the ones you'd posted (or however many you choose to restore). In the weekly thread they cross the boundary of 'must be taken on a mobile device' and besides they will disappear with the weekly challenge.

Back
Top Bottom