B&W RESULT:#54 Black & White Challenge

Congrats to Lynne.Peterson and rizole and many thanks for my 3rd Brian.

Personally I think this is irrelevant, Rizole could photograph virtually anything and make it look good regardless of weapon of choice and I was just lucky with interesting subject matter. Would they have looked different using an iphone, probably not :D
Don't lets go down the Nikon is better than Canon, Canon is better than Fuji road please :)

I do agree with your comment about posting at 3000 pixels,why post at a lower resolution ?

It’s not a matter that this is better than that but it seems the non-iPhone crowd sometimes feel their phone of choice is not being recognized as a viable option. So that’s just my tip of the hat.

First Place: Lynne.Peterson. Very fine composition, dramatic shadow, leading lines, good print tones. All round, a very fine image.
Well done Brian... so many great images to choose from.

Congratulations Lynne!! A gorgeous B&W and so deserving of first place. :inlove:

2nd - rizole. Rizole consistently pulls off great pictures in situations when most people wouldn’t even try and this is an example. It has the feel of a frame from a movie. It’s hard enough to get photos in the dark when nothing is moving.
Totally agree with Brian... well done Rizole!

3rd goes to sinner john for his dramatic building-scape. This strange structure could have come from a science fiction set.
Fabulous and kudos to you, John!

Since I had such a hard time dividing them up I’m also naming 3 HMs.

sdimbour for her striking eye photo. I have no idea how she achieved such sharpness from a 1536 px image.
View attachment 103604

The Egret photo by terse. Beautiful.
View attachment 103605

rizole with his small snowman lit by a pathway light. He is always doing surprising things. And there's that illuminated reindeer decoration in the background.
View attachment 103606
Congrats HMs Sandra, Ted & Rizole!

B&W #54 Results
JillyG "It’s now the job of FundyBrian Brian to choose the winners."
And quite a job it turned out to be.
I’m sure that most of you realize I’m somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to B&W photos, reaffirming the print values from the film days. The Fine Print, The Zone System, etc. I like to see a full range of tones in a B&W image, good tonal separation, highlight and shadow detail. But I also like to see more extreme renditions at times when the subject suits.

I found it difficult to pick a winner from my last selection of 9 images. I felt I was nit-picking to whittle it down to 6. Every image was very good. At that level the differences were small, being more related to image content, mood, style, composition.

Since I was looking closely at these photos I could see that people who posted at 3000 pixels had an edge when it came to image detail. Something to consider.

First Place: Lynne.Peterson. Very fine composition, dramatic shadow, leading lines, good print tones. All round, a very fine image.
View attachment 103601

2nd - rizole. Rizole consistently pulls off great pictures in situations when most people wouldn’t even try and this is an example. It has the feel of a frame from a movie. It’s hard enough to get photos in the dark when nothing is moving.
View attachment 103602

3rd goes to sinner john for his dramatic building-scape. This strange structure could have come from a science fiction set.
View attachment 103603

Did you notice 2 of the top 3 photos where Android or Samsung?

sdimbour for her striking eye photo. I have no idea how she achieved such sharpness from a 1536 px image.
View attachment 103604

View attachment 103605

rizole with his small snowman lit by a pathway light. He is always doing surprising things. And there's that illuminated reindeer decoration in the background.
View attachment 103606

I continue to be very impressed by the quality of B&W photos in this Challenge. Well done everyone!
Congrats Lynne.Peterson, sinnerjohn, sdimbour and terse and thank you for my 2nd place. :notworthy:
sinnerjohn said:
...Rizole could photograph virtually anything and make it look good....
And thank you too. :notworthy:

B&W #54 Results
JillyG "It’s now the job of FundyBrian Brian to choose the winners."
And quite a job it turned out to be.
I’m sure that most of you realize I’m somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to B&W photos, reaffirming the print values from the film days. The Fine Print, The Zone System, etc. I like to see a full range of tones in a B&W image, good tonal separation, highlight and shadow detail. But I also like to see more extreme renditions at times when the subject suits.

I found it difficult to pick a winner from my last selection of 9 images. I felt I was nit-picking to whittle it down to 6. Every image was very good. At that level the differences were small, being more related to image content, mood, style, composition.

Since I was looking closely at these photos I could see that people who posted at 3000 pixels had an edge when it came to image detail. Something to consider.

View attachment 103601

View attachment 103602

View attachment 103603

Did you notice 2 of the top 3 photos where Android or Samsung?

View attachment 103604

View attachment 103605

View attachment 103606

I continue to be very impressed by the quality of B&W photos in this Challenge. Well done everyone!
Wonderful choices Brian. Congratulations to everyone. Another challenge with top-notch work that raises the bar yet again :):thumbs::thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom