B&W RESULT:#86 Black & White Challenge

7F4256C7-20BC-45AE-8FB0-6AF5BE1ED450.jpeg

Mug Shot
Snapseed

I have no idea what focus stacking means :oops:
You probably know that HDR (High Dynamic Range) involves 3 separate photo in register, each with a different exposure, typically 0, -2, and +2, then the 3 pictures are combined with software to make one picture exhibiting an extended tonal range.
Focus Stacking is a similar idea, except instead of bracketed exposures we use bracketed focusing. There is a series of photos, starting with one focused at the very closest object in the picture, then another focused a little farther back, and another, and another, until the last photo is focused at the farthest object in the photo. Typically for a scenic photo that would be at least 6 photos, but possibly as many as 20 or 30 different focus positions (especially for close-ups). This stack of photos is merged in software that can select the areas in each picture that are in focus and mask out the out-of-focus areas.
There have been a few apps that tried focus stacking on the iPhone but the processing power required was the limiting factor. Usually they produced a lower resolution result. Now, the best option is to use the focus bracketing option (hard to find) in CameraPixels combined with RAW file format, and currently the only app that can merge a focus stack of images is Affinity on the iPad.

I’m at a business conference in Boston right now ... and I have to run off to a class shortly, so I’m going to have to make this short & sweet ... here’s goes

First place goes to YellowRose for “Faith of a Child” - this photos is absolutely precious! I couldn’t stop looking at it. Great job!
40F3F065-A99E-4085-89E0-D93078BDF32F.jpeg

Second place = deepop for “Mug Shot” - great photo! I too had to look twice to see the portrait. Excellent photo.

Third place = dscheff for “Clocking in” - love it!

This week was FULL of incredible photos, which made my job a difficult one. I look forward to seeing everyone’s photos every week and this week was no different. Great job to everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m at a business conference in Boston right now ... and I have to run off to a class shortly, so I’m going to have to make this short & sweet ... here’s goes

First place goes to YellowRose for “Faith of a Child” - this photos is absolutely precious! I couldn’t stop looking at it. Great job!

Second place = deepop for “Mug Shot” - great photo! I too had to look twice to see the portrait. Excellent photo.

This week was FULL of incredible photos, which made my job a difficult one. I look forward to seeing everyone’s photos every week and this week was no different. Great job to everyone :)
Great choices Lynn! Congrats YellowRose Mary!! Well deserved... your image is beautiful.

High fives to deepop David and dscheff Jeffrey... well done gents!

Great judging Lynne, and quicker than I expected given that you are ... I was going to say on the other side of the USA, but I see you’re in Boston! Thank you for taking time out to judge., Well done to dscheff Jeffrey and deepop David for third and second - two great images, pipped at the post by YellowRose Mary and the wonderful Faith of a Child. What a photo opp and what a photo! I’m now off to the Gallery to hang this fab image.

You probably know that HDR (High Dynamic Range) involves 3 separate photo in register, each with a different exposure, typically 0, -2, and +2, then the 3 pictures are combined with software to make one picture exhibiting an extended tonal range.
Focus Stacking is a similar idea, except instead of bracketed exposures we use bracketed focusing. There is a series of photos, starting with one focused at the very closest object in the picture, then another focused a little farther back, and another, and another, until the last photo is focused at the farthest object in the photo. Typically for a scenic photo that would be at least 6 photos, but possibly as many as 20 or 30 different focus positions (especially for close-ups). This stack of photos is merged in software that can select the areas in each picture that are in focus and mask out the out-of-focus areas.
There have been a few apps that tried focus stacking on the iPhone but the processing power required was the limiting factor. Usually they produced a lower resolution result. Now, the best option is to use the focus bracketing option (hard to find) in CameraPixels combined with RAW file format, and currently the only app that can merge a focus stack of images is Affinity on the iPad.
I have tried some of the other focus stacking apps like StayFocused but CameraPixels seems to be the first iPhone app that gets focus stacking right. Its HDR is not too bad either. Since the last AffinityPhoto update my iPad, one year old, seems to struggle importing the 20-30 images I use for the focus stack. LOL. I discovered that if you import 50 “layers” the battery percentage counts down like an egg timer ;) There’s a scarcity of tutorials on focus stacking in Affinity so it’s kinda hunt and peck but well worth it :)

Edit: I was just on the Affinity by Serif website and saw that they now have many video tutorials both for the iPad and the Desktop versions :)

Last edited:

View attachment 112360

Not an easy week to judge but I agree, partially biased, with Lynne’s decision ;) Congratulations YellowRose and Depop. Two awesome and well deserving captures!

View attachment 112360

That'd be my choice, too, Lynne. Applause for YellowRose! It's a worthy winner. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom