Image of the Month RESULT: AC #4

It's the gold standard for mine. My technique if I'm painting from a photo is to input the photo, create a new layer and do a quick tracing of some key lines or points in the pic then I scale the image down and use it for reference as a thumbnail and I move it from one corner to another as the painting takes shape and so as its not in my way but readily viewable while working on certain bits of the piece. I do a block in layer first to get some colours down and a bit of a palette going. Then I use anything from one to 10 more layers to paint in details, build up texture, skin tones or have layers I can apply blur to separately to convey movement or depth of field. And then at the end I might make a small adjustment to saturation and brightness and sometimes apply a very little bit of the noise effect.
Wish I had a dollar for every time I've opened it and thought *right* off you go, just start at the beginning..... And closed it again :(. I'm not making a point of spending some time with it - I want to learn everything in five minutes :alien:

It's the gold standard for mine. My technique if I'm painting from a photo is to input the photo, create a new layer and do a quick tracing of some key lines or points in the pic then I scale the image down and use it for reference as a thumbnail and I move it from one corner to another as the painting takes shape and so as its not in my way but readily viewable while working on certain bits of the piece. I do a block in layer first to get some colours down and a bit of a palette going. Then I use anything from one to 10 more layers to paint in details, build up texture, skin tones or have layers I can apply blur to separately to convey movement or depth of field. And then at the end I might make a small adjustment to saturation and brightness and sometimes apply a very little bit of the noise effect.

Exactly what I do, but put more succinctly by you. Thank you. It's just a case of having a play isn't it. After your good advice, I've downloaded some brushes. The Procreate community are a very generous lot.

Nor me :(

I like 'swing out sister' as a theme - and 'kaleidoscope world'. Don't know the bands/albums but I like those names. But every time I start noodling with an image, it turns into something else!

They've just released a major update, too.

It's worth the effort. If I were you I'd start by taking a simple photo into it, add a layer over it (Layers is top right) choose an inking brush from the Brushes menu in whatever colour takes your fancy and trace around the outline of your photo. On the left the sliders let you choose thickness and opacity. Two fingered tap on the screen deletes what you've done (keep tapping to take out lots of stuff). That's a start. I think, if you persevere, you'll be hooked. It's an amazing app.

I've put your post in my post-thesis calendar Jilly - thank you for suggestion, something to look forward to :inlove: :notworthy: :)

Hey John did you pick up the Procreate 'pocket' version free ? (See the bargain thread).
Did I say that ? :oops:
No is the simple answer ! I did look at it but I was confused that people were saying on ipad it wasn't a lot of use and as I use a
.............(in hushed tones)..........and And***d phone I can't use it there either. Did I do wrong ??? :eek:

Did I say that ? :oops:
No is the simple answer ! I did look at it but I was confused that people were saying on ipad it wasn't a lot of use and as I use a
.............(in hushed tones)..........and And***d phone I can't use it there either. Did I do wrong ??? :eek:

Ah, I'm sorry. I was following up the conv re procreate and had the impression you wanted to give it a go. And bcs I rarely do any art/editing on my actual phone (even tho I now have a lovely big 6s+ screen) I figure everyone else in the world also does everything on their tablet, and bcs I'm daft I figure we're all using the same apps. I have heard of Android phones. Just, you know, I'm one of the many who have become enslaved.

Ah, I'm sorry. I was following up the conv re procreate and had the impression you wanted to give it a go. And bcs I rarely do any art/editing on my actual phone (even tho I now have a lovely big 6s+ screen) I figure everyone else in the world also does everything on their tablet, and bcs I'm daft I figure we're all using the same apps. I have heard of Android phones. Just, you know, I'm one of the many who have become enslaved.
I do want to give it a go but will the 'pocket' version not work on ipad ? I assumed it was just for iphone, forgive me if I'm wrong :(

image.jpeg

Okay it's square and the right way up. And in case it's not obvious, the image is made entirely from an image of a cocktail glass (partie du cocktail, geddit? :D) iPad native cam Repix Union FontCandy.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom