MobiColour RESULT: MC #111 Theme: Texture - March 12-18, 2018

Lots of pictures this week so too many to honour properly but to name a few, I loved zenjenny's dog's tongue, JillyG's penicillin, MotownLarry's Lego sculpture and GroovyGouvy's sun on a rough wall.

For sheer quanity, variety and inventiveness, HM's have to go to FundyBrian and terse this week.
Out of 60 pictures entred, FundyBrian submitted 18 and terse submitted 16. I ended up with a shortlist of 10 pictures after my first pass through the thread, 4 of which are FundyBrian's. I loved Plough Laid to Rest - the colour on that blade is gorgeous. Teeth - crunchy, exciting, nicely composed. Wind Blown Snow - a real wow factor to this. Walking Texture - This stands on it's own feet I think, even knowing it was done by an app just adds another layer to it. Simple, intriguing, good texture and colour and there's a delicacy there too.
Pleanty to love in terse's submissions too. My favorite is Scars of a Long Life. It's got it all, layers of texture, compositionally good, a mixed media pic of manmade, natural and typographical elements.

HMs also to GroovyGouvy's mystery bridge and deepop's notional barefoot beanie ariel photography.

The two other pics that didn't quite make it into the top three are sinnerjohn's Medieval John and deepop's Ice on Planet Rizole. Both pressing all the right buttons for me. Nice work gents.

So my winners this week in reverse order are:

In 3rd, JillyG with Bricks and Glass
A lovely composition of geometric detail and texture at different scales and layers of reflection and overlays and viewpoints. There's so much going on here, it could be a mess but it's balanced and ordered. I like that you can see you in there JillyG. It's a shame you're looking at your phone instead of down the lens at the viewer but that's a small point and doesn't distract from the overall pic.

In 2nd is deepop with Abstract
I love the simplicity of the shapes and composition and the warmth and richness of the colours. I don't have any other words for this really. Just lovely.

In first place this week is Starzee with El Ca
img_5113-jpg.107088

It's grungy, scrunchy, weathered, shiny, scratchy, angular abstract goodness. Love the colour and processing, loved the pic as soon as I saw it and not lost the love as the week has gone on.
Well done you. :notworthy:
Congratulations, Star, for a wonderfully composed shot. Ditto to Jilly's photo - a textural "Where's Waldo?" Thanks for the 2nd place, Rizole. Thanks for judging (given all that's going on in your household right now.)

So I've found solids the cat can keep down and she is getting calories again. She's even re-started grooming herself so she's feeling better, which is a relief. The last born is no longer dependant on pain killers and, despite getting quite a nasty bug, it's only kept me under for 36 hrs so everything's looking up.
Now THIS is great news. :thumbs: :inlove:

I hope no one minds but I'm going to break convention and do the judging now, before the week is officially declared closed and while I have a space in my day to do it. It's amazing how quickly a home deteriorates with one parent pulling long shifts, the other ill and asleep on the sofa, one child with a reconstructed finger an elderly cat bringing back anything she eats and only a teenage boy well and alert enough to leave his computer to say "When's lunch?" and "I'm cold, can you turn the heating on?" once or twice a day and argue every time he's asked to do anything.
OMG.... you almost made me spit out my chai tea! :lmao: I can totally visualize all of this.... would make a great movie (Indie, of course :mobibabe: )

But enough about me :)
I'm unofficially declaring this weeks mobicolour thread closed and getting on with the judging.
THANK YOU for doing this task, even with all of the *stuff* going on in your life. Much appreciated! xo

Lots of pictures this week so too many to honour properly but to name a few, I loved zenjenny's dog's tongue, JillyG's penicillin, MotownLarry's Lego sculpture and GroovyGouvy's sun on a rough wall.

For sheer quanity, variety and inventiveness, HM's have to go to FundyBrian and terse this week.
Out of 60 pictures entred, FundyBrian submitted 18 and terse submitted 16. I ended up with a shortlist of 10 pictures after my first pass through the thread, 4 of which are FundyBrian's. I loved Plough Laid to Rest - the colour on that blade is gorgeous. Teeth - crunchy, exciting, nicely composed. Wind Blown Snow - a real wow factor to this. Walking Texture - This stands on it's own feet I think, even knowing it was done by an app just adds another layer to it. Simple, intriguing, good texture and colour and there's a delicacy there too.
Pleanty to love in terse's submissions too. My favorite is Scars of a Long Life. It's got it all, layers of texture, compositionally good, a mixed media pic of manmade, natural and typographical elements.

HMs also to GroovyGouvy's mystery bridge and deepop's notional barefoot beanie ariel photography.

The two other pics that didn't quite make it into the top three are sinnerjohn's Medieval John and deepop's Ice on Planet Rizole. Both pressing all the right buttons for me. Nice work gents.

A lovely composition of geometric detail and texture at different scales and layers of reflection and overlays and viewpoints. There's so much going on here, it could be a mess but it's balanced and ordered. I like that you can see you in there JillyG. It's a shame you're looking at your phone instead of down the lens at the viewer but that's a small point and doesn't distract from the overall pic.

I love the simplicity of the shapes and composition and the warmth and richness of the colours. I don't have any other words for this really. Just lovely.

img_5113-jpg.107088

It's grungy, scrunchy, weathered, shiny, scratchy, angular abstract goodness. Love the colour and processing, loved the pic as soon as I saw it and not lost the love as the week has gone on.
What a great wrap-up Rizole... :) Good choices. A loud and raucous CONGRATS to Starzee Star!!! Well deserved! :inlove: High fives to all of the placers and HMs - it was an incredible week once again - you all never disappoint. :notworthy: :inlove:

img_5113-jpg.107088

Nice work from your sickbed, rizole: wonderful dedication to your art :notworthy:
Personally, I don’t know how you did it - such a stunning array of textures this week, and all different.

Thanks FundyBrian and terse for setting the bar - I just love it when someone gets sufficiently ‘lit up’ with the week’s theme to post lots of high quality images :notworthy: :thumbs: :)

Congrats Starzee, I think your image is absolutely a deserving winner (and surely you’re not questioning our rizole ‘s judging credentials ??? :eek: Or worse, suggesting he is still delirious??? :eek: :eek:)

Congrats all place-getters and HMs - I loved browsing this week’s MC :notworthy: :) :mobibabe:

So I've found solids the cat can keep down and she is getting calories again. She's even re-started grooming herself so she's feeling better, which is a relief. The last born is no longer dependant on pain killers and, despite getting quite a nasty bug, it's only kept me under for 36 hrs so everything's looking up.
I hope no one minds but I'm going to break convention and do the judging now, before the week is officially declared closed and while I have a space in my day to do it. It's amazing how quickly a home deteriorates with one parent pulling long shifts, the other ill and asleep on the sofa, one child with a reconstructed finger an elderly cat bringing back anything she eats and only a teenage boy well and alert enough to leave his computer to say "When's lunch?" and "I'm cold, can you turn the heating on?" once or twice a day and argue every time he's asked to do anything.
But enough about me :)
I'm unofficially declaring this weeks mobicolour thread closed and getting on with the judging.
I missed this little vignette :lmao:. I wonder how many parents can identify with this scenario - 99.9%?

Phenomenon

View attachment 107244

6Pod native, no edits.
I do not have any idea how this happens. At first I thought it's just wet and dry concrete, but because it is over the whole bridge, and just apart from some snowflakes tonight there was nothing wet. And it was feeeeezing cold especially on the bridge which says nothing really to dry it that party. But the wind was sharp like a knife. I watched closer and found that the darker parts all have bigger "cheese holes" while the light ones were much smoother, and there was a slight difference in height, but not enough to give you the feeling of wobbling underground while you walk over it. [emoji848] I have no idea of physics and such, but the only explanation that appeared logical to me is that the Peace Bridge has to cope with a lot of sharp winds. Also rain and sunshine might affect it, too. Maybe the wind slightly erased some concrete and because of circulation, maybe through the rail/fence on the bridge, maybe it actually stands on a perfect swirly spot or whatever, but it's like brushed off and the "wet" part is more brushed than the white. And they are huge bows. Here is more surrounding:

View attachment 107247

left: the bridge rail, right: the white line separates the bike lane and the other bit is the car lane.
I'll keep the bridge in mind and will take a shot from the pedestrian part whenever I'm back again over the year. It's puzzling me. [emoji848]

Have you ever seen the machine used to polish, or finish the top surface of cement? Such as a cement floor in a basement? When doing this job by hand you use a wide trowel. The machine version has 4 blades, like trowels, angled so it doesn’t sink into the cement. Think of an upside down helicopter. You can imagine the size of the machine based on the diameter of the sweeps made by the blades. A basement sized one would have a diameter of about 1 metre. One person slowly pushes it along like a lawn mower but the rotation is much slower. The marks in your picture looks like the pattern left by one of those cement polishing machines but normally no trace is left by the machine so I can only guess some environmental conditions interfered with the drying, for instance hot dry conditions dried the surface too fast, or near freezing temperatures caused some other reaction in the lime to take place.

Plenty to love in terse's submissions too. My favorite is Scars of a Long Life. It's got it all, layers of texture, compositionally good, a mixed media pic of manmade, natural and typographical elements.

img_5113-jpg.107088

Well done you. :notworthy:[/USER]

A whole lot going on at the end of this thread! Epic happenings at the rizole household. Superhuman rising from his sickbed to judge this huge selection of entries. Congrats to Starzee, deepop & JillyG for Super Photos. A big high five to everyone who entered and made this such a fun event. These challenges are great and it’s very worthwhile to participate.

Thank you, rizole for doing such a great judging in your situation and it's good to hear all is getting better. [emoji177]

Congratulations Starzee (I blinking love that car!), deepop and JillyG! [emoji106][emoji177]
All the HMers and definitely all who posted these wonderful images. All different and beauties of its own and so many! What a week! [emoji177]

Good news. I’ve had many cats but never longer than six- ten years. Since we usually have two or three at a time, that means regular heartbreak.
I've got her on finely shredded cooked meats in a little cat milk and that's getting badly needed liquid and calories into her but she doesn't want it. She's struggling with tuna but adding extra vegetable oil helps, she's refusing scrambled egg, she hasn't touched wet cat food in well over a decade and would rather go hungry than eat most biscuits. There's only 1 1/2 brands of dry cat biscuits that she will willingly eat and she's asking for them but for some reason she can no longer keep them down. I have more plans for mushy wet variety to try her with now this week's other problems are out the way and didn't know about the high protein tinned stuff in water so I'll add that to the list, ta.
Other ideas off of the internet are meat stocks with liquidised meat added and meat based baby food.

I've got her on finely shredded cooked meats in a little cat milk and that's getting badly needed liquid and calories into her but she doesn't want it. She's struggling with tuna but adding extra vegetable oil helps, she's refusing scrambled egg, she hasn't touched wet cat food in well over a decade and would rather go hungry than eat most biscuits. There's only 1 1/2 brands of dry cat biscuits that she will willingly eat and she's asking for them but for some reason she can no longer keep them down. I have more plans for mushy wet variety to try her with now this week's other problems are out the way and didn't know about the high protein tinned stuff in water so I'll add that to the list, ta.
Other ideas off of the internet are meat stocks with liquidised meat added and meat based baby food.

A lot of thought had gone into this I can see.

Oh, poor sweet girl..... :( It sounds like you’re doing everything you can. Definitely try the baby food meat...I’ve had some luck with that. Keep us posted... xoxo

Nooooooo, not high protein for an old cat. Definitely not. If I was you, I’d crush the cat biscuits that she likes and mix it with something wettish - oil or cat milk. Definitely not high protein though.

Nooooooo, not high protein for an old cat. Definitely not. If I was you, I’d crush the cat biscuits that she likes and mix it with something wettish - oil or cat milk. Definitely not high protein though.
Ohhhhh.... :eek: Because of their digestive system? Kidney trouble?

Just to update... The vet can feel a mass and suspects stomach cancer spreading to her lungs as her breathing is laboured. He's given her an antiemetic and antibiotic. If she's improved by Friday then it's an infection, if not then we probably have the hard choice to make. :(

Just to update... The vet can feel a mass and suspects stomach cancer spreading to her lungs as her breathing is laboured. He's given her an antiemetic and antibiotic. If she's improved by Friday then it's an infection, if not then we probably have the hard choice to make. :(

[emoji22] How can I “like” a message like that? It points out the limitation in the “like” system. On one hand I want to show support but I don’t want to suggest happiness in reading your message.
I guess the best we can do is wish her freedom from discomfort and hope for the best. I wish I could offer more meaningful support. Those of us who have lost much loved pets understand what it feels like.

[emoji22] How can I “like” a message like that? It points out the limitation in the “like” system. On one hand I want to show support but I don’t want to suggest happiness in reading your message.
I guess the best we can do is wish her freedom from discomfort and hope for the best. I wish I could offer more meaningful support. Those of us who have lost much loved pets understand what it feels like.
Thanks Brian. It's all good, she's had a good life and been well cared for. Like Jen above, we've had other cats. Of the first 4 we had, two died of leukaemia and one was poisoned all before they got to 3. The forth, this one, has been with us for 15 years. It'll be upsetting to see her go but we've got some time with her yet. :)

Oh no. One of the “joys” of being a pet owner.:( I’m hoping it’s an infection. Otherwise there doesn’t seem like much of a choice. I feel for you all.

Like Brian said, I *liked* your comment, but it actually brought tears to my eyes. (I’m a sap, what can I say) I lost my sweet Miss Missy 3 years ago, but I still miss her and still find it difficult to look at photos. I’ve had 4 cats in my adult life, all lived to be 15-17 (two I’d had since kittens) and I was there for all of their last moments, holding them in my arms. Even knowing they’ve lived a long loving life, it’s so hard to lose them, they leave a hole in our hearts, for sure. I’m sending you and your family lots of love... Maybe post some images of her in the Pets thread? xoxo

Oh no. One of the “joys” of being a pet owner.:( I’m hoping it’s an infection. Otherwise there doesn’t seem like much of a choice. I feel for you all.
My Chulo had an incurable form of mouth cancer when he was 17. I made the decision to ease his suffering before it got to the really bad stage... it was terribly hard, because he wasn’t “dying” yet, but the only reason to wait was my own selfish need to have him with me longer. :(

Back
Top Bottom