MobiColour RESULT: MC #126 Theme: Tilt Shift - June 25-July 1, 2018

The miniature town of Swakopmund:

695915FB-6059-4ED5-94B9-A74DB5A1D7FD.jpeg

TS for 2.
7A237F32-3DEB-4F85-9336-3D92A18D5092.jpeg

Affinity, Depth of Field Blur, Linear.
I posted a version of this image for the Time Stamp logo last week, Here I’ve added just a small amount of Depth of Field Blur to it. It looked pretty much like this before because it is a macro photo shot at a sharp angle which naturally causes the focus to fall off quickly. It’s interesting to see the difference before & after. With the added blur the background out-of-focus highlights are softer edged. Any more drastic fall-off made it too hard to identify the image as a watch face.
When you look at this you realize this is what the tilt-shift effect tries to duplicate.

Failed Experiment.
8703A86D-0BFD-4E8C-BBAF-48FCF0540DD7.jpeg

You can see what I was trying to do here. The idea was to have the dog appear to be rising up out of the tilt shift. It required applying the Depth Of Field Blur to a background layer version of the image while the top layer was masked around the dog since the two different planes are in opposition for the usual tilt-shift effect. The problem is that usually when doing this sort of background blur and masking it requires a particular sort of blur so as not to bleed outside of the subject space, as you see above. Unfortunately, The Depth of Field Blur in Affinity only uses Gaussian blur which causes the haloing of the subject.
I photographed the dog running towards me using burst mode but my favourite image was too close to include the lower part of the front leg. I made a composite with a further away photo of the dog in order to extend the foreground and include all of the front leg.

Back
Top Bottom