MobiColour RESULT: MC #126 Theme: Tilt Shift - June 25-July 1, 2018

Is this the Glass Tilt Shift app? I didn’t find any tilt shift in it, Just a bunch of other adjustments..
Yes, that's it. It has 3 Tilt options, but they just let you define areas to be blurred in 3 different shapes (like all the other apps I've seen).

Yes, that's it. It has 3 Tilt options, but they just let you define areas to be blurred in 3 different shapes (like all the other apps I've seen).
Hmmm. It isn’t like any tilt-shift apps I have seen. For one thing you can’t tell what the shape is that is selected by 1,2, or 3. There is nothing on-screen to show the shape or affected areas. 1,2 & 3 all look the same - linear. The other tilt-shift apps have either an elliptical or linear shape with lines defining the limits of the area and the width of the feathering. One thing is different. The effect is asymmetrical, being a little stronger on whatever side you pull the circle.

Hmmm. It isn’t like any tilt-shift apps I have seen. For one thing you can’t tell what the shape is that is selected by 1,2, or 3. There is nothing on-screen to show the shape or affected areas. 1,2 & 3 all look the same - linear. The other tilt-shift apps have either an elliptical or linear shape with lines defining the limits of the area and the width of the feathering. One thing is different. The effect is asymmetrical, being a little stronger on whatever side you pull the circle.
Sorry, I conflated my threes. The three shape choices are in Enlight. which I've also been using. In Glass, you can pinch or spread with two fingers to contract or expand the focus zone and rotate two fingers to rotate it. (But it's hard to see just what you're doing; it's not the best possible UI.)

Sorry, I conflated my threes. The three shape choices are in Enlight. which I've also been using. In Glass, you can pinch or spread with two fingers to contract or expand the focus zone and rotate two fingers to rotate it. (But it's hard to see just what you're doing; it's not the best possible UI.)
There’s an understatement.
Thanks, I studied the instructions some more to become more familiar with their method. I could see what was happening but lacking the guides makes it hard to tell what it will look like, especially with the small size of the preview window.
I’m not sure but it looks to me that the type of blur they use is a small amount of zoom blur rather than Gaussian blur, as the blurs all seem to spread outwards rather than remaining centred on the original point.

Failed Experiment.
View attachment 111165
You can see what I was trying to do here. The idea was to have the dog appear to be rising up out of the tilt shift. It required applying the Depth Of Field Blur to a background layer version of the image while the top layer was masked around the dog since the two different planes are in opposition for the usual tilt-shift effect. The problem is that usually when doing this sort of background blur and masking it requires a particular sort of blur so as not to bleed outside of the subject space, as you see above. Unfortunately, The Depth of Field Blur in Affinity only uses Gaussian blur which causes the haloing of the subject.
I photographed the dog running towards me using burst mode but my favourite image was too close to include the lower part of the front leg. I made a composite with a further away photo of the dog in order to extend the foreground and include all of the front leg.
I think it looks great. :thumbs: Also using Snapseed and choosing the elliptical shape allows you to have more control of the blur.

B30115BE-57E9-4573-A815-B1277FC89205.jpeg

Snapseed, Instagram

Cool!! It’s so odd to me how a simple blur really makes things look miniature.
I haven’t gotten my head around it yet. Likely won’t in the near future o_O
Isn't it that close up/macro shots tend to have a smaller depth of field because optics. I think this is true of eyes as well.
So we perceive tilt-shift, with it's narrow band of focus, as taken from close up so the subject must be itty bitty.
I think that's why it can be more effective at making things look small if the plane of focus is on something at a constant distance from the lens rather than receding off into the distance because that's how the world tends to look.

Back
Top Bottom