MobiColour RESULT: MC #145 Theme: Portrait (Human) - Nov 5-11, 2018

517C5FD9-D567-41A5-84F2-B832B6429FC9.jpeg

Afternoon companions
Snapseed, ACDSee Pro

Present since antiquity, abandoned to religious purposes,
sublimated by the Flemish Masters and tortured by photography,
Portraiture traced a sinuous line following the curves and the various aspects of the history of Art.

I thought this sentence scanned rather nicely — but it kindof flops at the end. Still, an interesting intro/ summary of the form.

I liked the definition of ‘portrait’ offered up by John:

. . . artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person. . . . generally . . . a composed image of a person in a still position. . . often looking directly at the painter or photographer, in order to most successfully engage the subject with the viewer.

So (with one notable exception**), I looked for my own sense of engagement with the [composition of the] various images. . . .

**I closed my eyes and hardened my heart to the several little angels whose big eyes and soulful gazes have already gotten me into enough trouble thankyouverymuch

First, @Jef’s Mary (The Riveter)

View attachment 116600

Engaging on so many levels, from the gaze and smile of the lovely Mary, which has me imagining her as bright, intelligent, self-contained? artistic? and at the same time a little mysterious? — to the touches of red in that portrait-y edit, to the composition’s historical reference to a well-known poster.

Second, Rob, sinnerjohn ‘s brutha from anutha mutha. Yes, John, Rob’s personality shines through: he looks like a brother I’d like to have. And nice edit — maybe you should foray with a Hipsta more often.

View attachment 116565

Equal Thirds, ImageArt ‘s 4C and terse Afternoon Companions

View attachment 116833

View attachment 116848

Two very different portraits, both with a sense of a story to be told. I want to know more.

The eye contact of Ann’s two figures: one (so very) direct, yet unreadable because shades; one perpendicular, unreadable because obscured and ambivalent facial expression; the lush texture and palette of the winter gear; a !*$&¥| snow-topped mountain in the background — I’m Hemingway’s Snow Leopard engaged.

The Lorraine and Hodge tableau in Ted’s image: Lorraine seems to have paused, mid page turn, to look (really look) up at Hodge. Hodge, of course, being a cat and a ginger at that, is gazing elsewhere. But I feel a sense of communion, warmth, gentleness (Lorraine, of course - I wouldn’t presume , Hodge!). I’m entranced by the curve of Lorraine’s neck and the loop of Hodge’s tail. I want to know what Lorraine is reading, why she paused, what Hodge is thinking/looking at.

HMs to everyone else. Even Gouvy, who was sure I’d lopped her images off the list of contenders five minutes after she posted them :confused:

Portraiture traced a sinuous line following the curves and the various aspects of the history of Art.

I thought this sentence scanned rather nicely — but it kindof flops at the end. Still, an interesting intro/ summary of the form.

. . . artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person. . . . generally . . . a composed image of a person in a still position. . . often looking directly at the painter or photographer, in order to most successfully engage the subject with the viewer.

So (with one notable exception**), I looked for my own sense of engagement with the [composition of the] various images. . . .

**I closed my eyes and hardened my heart to the several little angels whose big eyes and soulful gazes have already gotten me into enough trouble thankyouverymuch

View attachment 116600

Engaging on so many levels, from the gaze and smile of the lovely Mary, which has me imagining her as bright, intelligent, self-contained? artistic? and at the same time a little mysterious? — to the touches of red in that portrait-y edit, to the composition’s historical reference to a well-known poster.

Second, Rob, sinnerjohn ‘s brutha from anutha mutha. Yes, John, Rob’s personality shines through: he looks like a brother I’d like to have. And nice edit — maybe you should foray with a Hipsta more often.

View attachment 116833

View attachment 116848

Two very different portraits, both with a sense of a story to be told. I want to know more.

The eye contact of Ann’s two figures: one (so very) direct, yet unreadable because shades; one perpendicular, unreadable because obscured and ambivalent facial expression; the lush texture and palette of the winter gear; a !*$&¥| snow-topped mountain in the background — I’m Hemingway’s Snow Leopard engaged.

The Lorraine and Hodge tableau in Ted’s image: Lorraine seems to have paused, mid page turn, to look (really look) up at Hodge. Hodge, of course, being a cat and a ginger at that, is gazing elsewhere. But I feel a sense of communion, warmth, gentleness (Lorraine, of course - I wouldn’t presume , Hodge!). I’m entranced by the curve of Lorraine’s neck and the loop of Hodge’s tail. I want to know what Lorraine is reading, why she paused, what Hodge is thinking/looking at.

HMs to everyone else. Even Gouvy, who was sure I’d lopped her images off the list of contenders five minutes after she posted them :confused:
Great choice for winner, couldn't agree more zenjenny , congratulations Jef :thumbs:
I'm honored you chose Rob as N0.2 :notworthy: and he'll be pleased when I tell him too :D
Yay to ImageArt and terse :thumbs::thumbs:
Good week, good theme:thumbs:

Wow! Thanks! And you touched on many of my Mary’s strengths. I’m glad they came through!

And congrats to everyone this week. It was a lot of fun to see different approaches. The human spirit is incredible and many of you captured it wonderfully.
Congratulations Jef - that was a stunning image, from the composition to the edit. It’s obvious that there’s a relationship between the photographer and the subject, even without knowing what it is.:thumbs:

Last edited:
Great choice for winner, couldn't agree more zenjenny , congratulations Jef :thumbs:
I'm honored you chose Rob as N0.2 :notworthy: and he'll be pleased when I tell him too :D
Yay to ImageArt and terse :thumbs::thumbs:
Good week, good theme:thumbs:
Well done Johnno - that’s a great image of Rob. This is another image where it’s clear that there’s a bond between the photographer and the subject.

View attachment 116600

View attachment 116833

View attachment 116848

Well done to ImageArt Ann and terse Ted for your joint thirds. Two great images. All of the “portraits” in this weeks MCC have been wonderful and I would have had trouble choosing if I’d been the judge, so hats off to zenjenny Jen.

View attachment 116600

View attachment 116833

View attachment 116848

Yay, Jef! That's a superb image and deserves its first. Congrats to sinnerjohn and ImageArt, and thank you, zenjenny, for allowing me to share the podium with these great photos.

View attachment 116600

View attachment 116565

View attachment 116833

View attachment 116848

Jef’s Photo “Mary the Riveter” is a super photo. Congrats jef. Congrats to the winners! Well done. Lots of excellent portraits this week.

Back
Top Bottom