MobiColour RESULT: MC #146 Theme: MUSIC - Nov 12-18, 2018

Part of the acoustic guitar section and my brother at Steeve’s Music in Montreal.
View attachment 117062
Late at night when everyone has gone the guitars begin to play. From plaintive to thundering. I don’t know why the alarm system doesn’t get triggered.
The picture is a Diptic of two adjacent acoustic guitar rooms, and then Decim8ed.
This is quite brilliant Brian.

Grandad's Banjulele Banjo. It's a signed Alvin D Keech one. Undated but probably from the 20s or 30s. I play it poorly but 'er indoors has a ukulele and the tuning is the same so she's quite good on it.
20181116_193408-01.jpeg

A cappella cow sonata in B flat minor.
View attachment 117057
Every year in late fall the cows come home from the community pasture to spend the winter in the farmyard and barn. Perhaps, not coincidentally, this occurs at the start of deer hunting season. These are the young ones born this past spring. After spending all summer in the relative freedom of the vast open range area this new captivity in a barn and farmyard comes as somewhat of a shock. In addition they have been separated by age from the rest of their herd, who are housed in a similar way just diagonally across the road at the other barn.

For the first few days the cows make a lot of noise protesting their newfound confinement and calling back and forth with their compatriots. This mournful song goes on night and day making it hard for us to sleep, but as the cold weather sets in they begin to appreciate the shelter of the barn, not to mention food being delivered by some unknown catering service. No tipping required.

Their song strikes me in different ways, at different times. Ranging from “they doth protest too much, methinks”. After all, there’s not much food to be found in the frozen snow covered fields, let alone shelter. On the other hand, cows being herd animals don’t like being separated from the rest of their herd and I can’t help feeling sad for those who have been separated from their mothers for the first time in their lives, as their young calls are answered by deeper bellows from across the road.

Gradually their songs die down after a few days and I wonder if they can no longer remember what they were mooing about or if they have begun to adjust to their new situation. Hey, there’s no adults here telling us what to do.

Naturally the cows became shy in their singing when I stood nearby. Stage fright, no doubt.

Sortof sad, sortof beautiful story - and nice image!

A cappella cow sonata in B flat minor.
View attachment 117057
Every year in late fall the cows come home from the community pasture to spend the winter in the farmyard and barn. Perhaps, not coincidentally, this occurs at the start of deer hunting season. These are the young ones born this past spring. After spending all summer in the relative freedom of the vast open range area this new captivity in a barn and farmyard comes as somewhat of a shock. In addition they have been separated by age from the rest of their herd, who are housed in a similar way just diagonally across the road at the other barn.

For the first few days the cows make a lot of noise protesting their newfound confinement and calling back and forth with their compatriots. This mournful song goes on night and day making it hard for us to sleep, but as the cold weather sets in they begin to appreciate the shelter of the barn, not to mention food being delivered by some unknown catering service. No tipping required.

Their song strikes me in different ways, at different times. Ranging from “they doth protest too much, methinks”. After all, there’s not much food to be found in the frozen snow covered fields, let alone shelter. On the other hand, cows being herd animals don’t like being separated from the rest of their herd and I can’t help feeling sad for those who have been separated from their mothers for the first time in their lives, as their young calls are answered by deeper bellows from across the road.

Gradually their songs die down after a few days and I wonder if they can no longer remember what they were mooing about or if they have begun to adjust to their new situation. Hey, there’s no adults here telling us what to do.

Naturally the cows became shy in their singing when I stood nearby. Stage fright, no doubt.
Beautiful interpretation of the theme... I love cows. :inlove:

Part of the acoustic guitar section and my brother at Steeve’s Music in Montreal.
View attachment 117062
Late at night when everyone has gone the guitars begin to play. From plaintive to thundering. I don’t know why the alarm system doesn’t get triggered.
The picture is a Diptic of two adjacent acoustic guitar rooms, and then Decim8ed.
This is fab!!

Well, I think this show has come to an end, it's the final swan song, that's a wrap, folks!! It's time for Jef to put music to paper and choose his faves! :D

Out of time and competition, but I found one picture to inspire and though far too late I have to post it. I took it at an Antique shop at Leominster and it is not very good as the room was very narrow and this was the only angle to get everything in. So if you have some some scratched records left, make it “music on the bottom of your feet”

2A319779-8680-4583-8F43-A756CEBDBEF3.jpeg

XSmax native

Ok... I appreciate everyone who played along with the music theme this week. It was probably not the easiest or most accessible but thanks for humoring me.

It was really tough to choose a winner. I have 2 favorites, and a split blue ribbon seems possible, but co-judges for the following week would be trickier. So having said that, my choice for First goes to...
0F0B4FC1-8150-4F4C-A14B-6A0C415727B9.jpeg

Bending the notes by FundyBrian . The flowing FEEL is what gets me. To me it’s symbolic of what happens with the best music - getting lost, forgetting everything else, and not quite being sure where once part ends and another begins.

Such a close second(because I’m forced to pick) is...
B02B877A-DC1A-484A-B09D-EC05DC4AAC5C.jpeg

Duane by dscheff . I LOVE the angle that pulls they eyes down to the blurry fingers. And he MADE that mandolin!?!?! That’s an art unto itself.

Third goes to...
54288D98-85E9-407B-AD17-537951BFF583.jpeg

On the record, by rizole . It’s art, and suggests some of the color and possible story any song can convey.

Honorable Mention to Street Musician by FundyBrian . The art on the musician is the detail that speaks to me.

Again, thanks to everyone who participated in any way. Seeing your thoughts, questions, photos, ideas was great. It’s all music in it’s own way.

And with that... on to next week’s challenge!

Last edited:
Ok... I appreciate everyone who played along with the music theme this week. It was probably not the easiest or most accessible but thanks for humoring me.

It was really tough to choose a winner. I have 2 favorites, and a split blue ribbon seems possible, but co-judges for the following week would be trickier. So have said that, my choice for First goes to...
View attachment 117164
Bending the notes by FundyBrian . The flowing FEEL is what gets me. To me it’s symbolic of what happens with the best music - getting lost, forgetting everything else, and not quite being sure where once part ends and another begins.

Such a close second(because I’m forced to pick) is...
View attachment 117166
Duane by dscheff . I LOVE the angle that pulls they eyes down to the blurry fingers. And he MADE that mandolin!?!?! That’s an art unto itself.

Third goes to...View attachment 117165
On the record, by rizole . It’s art, and suggests some of the color and possible story any song can convey.

Honorable Mention to Street Musician by FundyBrian . The art on the musician is the detail that speaks to me.

Again, thanks to everyone who participated in any way. Seeing your thoughts, questions, photos, ideas was great. It’s all music in it’s own way.

And with that... on to next week’s challenge!
Wow! Thank you Jef. Congratulations Brian and Rizole! Amazing work :thumbs: I'm honored to be featured in this challenge as there were so many excellent entries :notworthy::)

Out of time and competition, but I found one picture to inspire and though far too late I have to post it. I took it at an Antique shop at Leominster and it is not very good as the room was very narrow and this was the only angle to get everything in. So if you have some some scratched records left, make it “music on the bottom of your feet”

I haven’t seen that before, Gouvy - nice interpretation!

Good to read your comments, Jef - always valuable to look at an image with someone else’s appreciations in mind :thumbs:

Congrats FundyBrian dscheff and rizole - inspiring work :notworthy: :)

And thanks Jef for the theme that produced such an array of interpretations. ‘Not the easiest or most accessible’: pffft! That’s what we like here - just ask sinnerjohn :D

Good to read your comments, Jef - always valuable to look at an image with someone else’s appreciations in mind :thumbs:

Congrats FundyBrian dscheff and rizole - inspiring work :notworthy: :)

And thanks Jef for the theme that produced such an array of interpretations. ‘Not the easiest or most accessible’: pffft! That’s what we like here - just ask sinnerjohn :D

It was fun to see the varied interpretation. Loved seeing chainsaws, cows, storefronts, search related images that had everyone wondering how they showed up.... it was great.

I’m pleasantly surprised and very pleased you liked my ‘Bending the notes" image, Jef. Thank you. Congrats to dscheff and rizole for their excellent images. This was a very enjoyable challenge. It’s fun to work on something different. Congrats to all the participants for so many interesting interpretations. We gain a lot by participating and challenging ourselves.
I guess I need to think up a new challenge topic now. I hope it will be as good as the ones we have had recently.

Back
Top Bottom