MobiColour RESULT: MC #146 Theme: MUSIC - Nov 12-18, 2018

View attachment 117010

Music, uniquely among the arts, is both completely abstract and profoundly emotional. It has no power to represent anything particular or external, but it has a unique power to express inner states or feelings. Music can pierce the heart directly; it needs no mediation.”
― Oliver Sacks, Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

(Vale Oliver Sacks)
:inlove: :notworthy: <sigh> Gorgeous... and what an amazing quote! I love Oliver Sacks.

Duane
4BA52DE3-A1FA-4887-AAD1-D397A0D3B8B8.jpeg

iPhone 6
Duane is a self taught mandolin player: he built this one. I get to play with him and his brothers from time to time.

I back up all my mobile photos to the Photos program on my Mac, so I did a search there for "music" and got a street violinist, a nun with a bass drum (stock photo, not mine), piano keys, a PA amp, a radio, a tin box with the word "Singer" on it (!), a gate that might look a bit like a clef if you squint just right, and this:

View attachment 116906

An abstract impression of bebop? Your guess is as good as mine.
I back up all my mobile photos to the Photos program on my Mac, so I did a search there for "music" and got a street violinist, a nun with a bass drum (stock photo, not mine), piano keys, a PA amp, a radio, a tin box with the word "Singer" on it (!), a gate that might look a bit like a clef if you squint just right, and this:

View attachment 116906

An abstract impression of bebop? Your guess is as good as mine.
Tried it with my back ups to google photos - lots of very strange results!

A cappella cow sonata in B flat minor.
738C05FC-6453-403B-9383-19E95F29BEF2.jpeg

Every year in late fall the cows come home from the community pasture to spend the winter in the farmyard and barn. Perhaps, not coincidentally, this occurs at the start of deer hunting season. These are the young ones born this past spring. After spending all summer in the relative freedom of the vast open range area this new captivity in a barn and farmyard comes as somewhat of a shock. In addition they have been separated by age from the rest of their herd, who are housed in a similar way just diagonally across the road at the other barn.

For the first few days the cows make a lot of noise protesting their newfound confinement and calling back and forth with their compatriots. This mournful song goes on night and day making it hard for us to sleep, but as the cold weather sets in they begin to appreciate the shelter of the barn, not to mention food being delivered by some unknown catering service. No tipping required.

Their song strikes me in different ways, at different times. Ranging from “they doth protest too much, methinks”. After all, there’s not much food to be found in the frozen snow covered fields, let alone shelter. On the other hand, cows being herd animals don’t like being separated from the rest of their herd and I can’t help feeling sad for those who have been separated from their mothers for the first time in their lives, as their young calls are answered by deeper bellows from across the road.

Gradually their songs die down after a few days and I wonder if they can no longer remember what they were mooing about or if they have begun to adjust to their new situation. Hey, there’s no adults here telling us what to do.

Naturally the cows became shy in their singing when I stood nearby. Stage fright, no doubt.

A cappella cow sonata in B flat minor.
View attachment 117057
Every year in late fall the cows come home from the community pasture to spend the winter in the farmyard and barn. Perhaps, not coincidentally, this occurs at the start of deer hunting season. These are the young ones born this past spring. After spending all summer in the relative freedom of the vast open range area this new captivity in a barn and farmyard comes as somewhat of a shock. In addition they have been separated by age from the rest of their herd, who are housed in a similar way just diagonally across the road at the other barn.

For the first few days the cows make a lot of noise protesting their newfound confinement and calling back and forth with their compatriots. This mournful song goes on night and day making it hard for us to sleep, but as the cold weather sets in they begin to appreciate the shelter of the barn, not to mention food being delivered by some unknown catering service. No tipping required.

Their song strikes me in different ways, at different times. Ranging from “they doth protest too much, methinks”. After all, there’s not much food to be found in the frozen snow covered fields, let alone shelter. On the other hand, cows being herd animals don’t like being separated from the rest of their herd and I can’t help feeling sad for those who have been separated from their mothers for the first time in their lives, as their young calls are answered by deeper bellows from across the road.

Gradually their songs die down after a few days and I wonder if they can no longer remember what they were mooing about or if they have begun to adjust to their new situation. Hey, there’s no adults here telling us what to do.

Naturally the cows became shy in their singing when I stood nearby. Stage fright, no doubt.
Well, that’s certainly left-field (pun intended). Ingenious.

Part of the acoustic guitar section and my brother at Steeve’s Music in Montreal.
BDE6CCF6-F739-4079-ABEF-5FA5EC691060.jpeg

Late at night when everyone has gone the guitars begin to play. From plaintive to thundering. I don’t know why the alarm system doesn’t get triggered.
The picture is a Diptic of two adjacent acoustic guitar rooms, and then Decim8ed.

Street musician playing the Kora.
C76C1080-8334-4545-B0B8-6DF353C26B1D.jpeg

A couple of Decim8 versions combined in Affinity.
“The kora is a 21-string lute-bridge-harp used extensively in West Africa.“
This person builds her own Koras and departs from the traditional form by using modern bass and guitar tuner hardware as well as a built-in electronic pick-up.
The body of the instrument is a large gourd with a goatskin top and with the sound hole on the side.
It is played very much like a harp except the strings are in 2 rows, a bit more like a pyramid, and your hands stay anchored to the two vertical handles. I also made some video that tells more of the story.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom