MobiColour RESULT: MC #217 No Theme - April 6-19, 2020

Not like scallops, crab, lobster, and shrimp. More like clams off your list. Most like a rubber eraser with garlic butter. The garlic butter is good, but you can also put that on French bread and skip the snails.
i swear I wrote about the garlic butter before I read this!! :lmao:

And finally for this Challenge, reflecting on the River Cam (Somerset, not the other one), whilst out walking this morning—and I only had 30 minutes out of the house...
75A49A6C-315E-4597-9DC2-EB8980D44DAA.jpeg

Usual iPhone XS and some Hipstamatic magic.

Strictly speaking, "natural landscape" does not include signs of the hand of man.
We are not apart from or seperated from nature.
Humans are natural. We may be causing global catastrophy but what ever dystopian or non-dystopian future is in store for the world, it's a product of nature. Strictly speaking all environments are natural landscapes.

Humans are natural. We may be causing global catastrophy but what ever dystopian or non-dystopian future is in store for the world, it's a product of nature. Strictly speaking all environments are natural landscapes.
Philosophically, maybe. But in national photo competitions the hand of man is not part of the natural landscape.
I guess there was a time in the distant past when man lived as part of nature. When mankind placed itself above nature and other living beings it stepped out of the balance and became the destroyer of nature.

We are natural, we are of nature.
Agree. Dust to dust, ashes to ashes.

I've been struggling with the sheer number of excellent images in this challenge. I have 7 finalists and I could be equally happy with any of them. But of course, I need to pick a winner. Rather than get all nit picky about each image I decided to go with what speaks to me personally.
Numero Uno: rizole 's Roots.
20200329_140710-01.jpeg

I could gaze at this image a long time and not tire of it. The enduring struggle of life and the elements. The colour is pleasingly rich, nicely exposed. So much intriguing detail and texture. The sweep of curve is a very satisfying compositional element. I would be happy to have the on my wall.

Second: mcmillan, Coastal waves, slow shutter.
5A33B71C-3BBD-4D5B-A5DB-7401CF6DD637-10616-000006512405F512.JPG

A meeting of Earth, Sky, Water. Timeless. I like how the curve of land and the more direct line of wave meet at the focal point. The use of slow shutter helps in conveying the motion.

Third: lkbside, Details, Rock lichens.
89A4F3BE-5872-4282-8C33-C672CD606D6B.jpeg

Nature taking its own sweet time. I'm always amazed at how lichens can survive on bare rock. The colours subtle but enticing.

To me all three of these images have holding power that can stand the test of time.

Good grief it seems I hit some hot buttons for some people with my take of what is and isn't natural in the environment. Its not that big a deal for me to argue about it. That's just how I see it and there's lots of room for everyone to have their own perspective.

I can tell you when I used to judge some national photo competitions years ago that "hand of man" was written right into a description of some of the categories. For nature and wildlife and natural landscape signs of the hand of man was simply not accepted. If you image contained signs of the activities of man it would go into Contemporary, or Pictorial. I didn't make that rule but I had to follow it.

I've been struggling with the sheer number of excellent images in this challenge. I have 7 finalists and I could be equally happy with any of them. But of course, I need to pick a winner. Rather than get all nit picky about each image I decided to go with what speaks to me personally.
View attachment 156957
I could gaze at this image a long time and not tire of it. The enduring struggle of life and the elements. The colour is pleasingly rich, nicely exposed. So much intriguing detail and texture. The sweep of curve is a very satisfying compositional element. I would be happy to have the on my wall.

View attachment 156958
A meeting of Earth, Sky, Water. Timeless. I like how the curve of land and the more direct line of wave meet at the focal point. The use of slow shutter helps in conveying the motion.

View attachment 156959
Nature taking its own sweet time. I'm always amazed at how lichens can survive on bare rock. The colours subtle but enticing.

To me all three of these images have holding power that can stand the test of time.
These are great choices! I love all of them. Nice judging, Brian. :)

Congratulations rizole Riz!! A gorgeous composition... well deserved!!
High fives to mcmillan Greg and lkbside Leslie on your 2nd and 3rd, respectively. Beautiful images!

View attachment 156957

View attachment 156958

View attachment 156959

Thank you for my win. :notworthy: Congrats to mcmillan and lkbside.

Good grief it seems I hit some hot buttons for some people with my take of what is and isn't natural in the environment. Its not that big a deal for me to argue about it. That's just how I see it and there's lots of room for everyone to have their own perspective.

I can tell you when I used to judge some national photo competitions years ago that "hand of man" was written right into a description of some of the categories. For nature and wildlife and natural landscape signs of the hand of man was simply not accepted. If you image contained signs of the activities of man it would go into Contemporary, or Pictorial. I didn't make that rule but I had to follow it.
Excuse my pedantry. :feet:

View attachment 156957

View attachment 156958

View attachment 156959

Great choices and I have to say that rizole ‘s is just pure winner!

Back
Top Bottom