MobiColour RESULT: MC #89 Theme: Close Ups - Oct 9-15

I think it’s a Queen Anne’s Lace in the seed stage. View attachment 100191

Seems sometimes even nature repeats itself just in another size. On the 3rd of October I've been at the Senckenberg museum for a guided tour behind the scene and they offered us a view on a new species that looked exactly like a woodlouse but a 100times bigger and they called it Tiefseeassel (Deep Sea Woodlouse), because that's where they found it. Wait, I have a picture (out of comp [emoji4]).

OriginalPhoto-528720113.869613.jpg

On the screen are live woodlouses from the microscope on the right. In the glass the alcohol preserved dead example. Amazing is it?

Seems sometimes even nature repeats itself just in another size. On the 3rd of October I've been at the Senckenberg museum for a guided tour behind the scene and they offered us a view on a new species that looked exactly like a woodlouse but a 100times bigger and they called it Tiefseeassel (Deep Sea Woodlouse), because that's where they found it. Wait, I have a picture (out of comp [emoji4]).

View attachment 100201

On the screen are live woodlouses from the microscope on the right. In the glass the alcohol preserved dead example. Amazing is it?
Deep ocean.... it’s like a whole other world/planet down there. :notworthy:

View attachment 100201

Ewww. Kinda creepy. Giant louse.

It’s Virginia Creeper. And you’re correct, the berries aren’t edible. :barf:

https://g.co/kgs/J6XnQc

You are right! Never thought it's actually poison! [emoji33] it's so beautiful and last year it was sooo full of ladybugs. I haven't seen any since spring. [emoji53] Think someone poisoned them. Though I thought these (meanwhile mostly) orange bugs are some kind of immortal. At least I saw two since they are gone and those visited me on the balcony. [emoji4]

You are right! Never thought it's actually poison! [emoji33] it's so beautiful and last year it was sooo full of ladybugs. I haven't seen any since spring. [emoji53] Think someone poisoned them. Though I thought these (meanwhile mostly) orange bugs are some kind of immortal. At least I saw two since they are gone and those visited me on the balcony. [emoji4]

You also need to consider that most insects have a very short lifespan. We notice them when they become conspicuous or numerous and often this means mating time. After that the old adults die off and the next phase of life is tiny newly hatched grubs that we don’t see as many live in the soil or hidden among plant debris until they get bigger. And finally they all reach the adult stage and suddenly they are everywhere for a short time. If you were away or busy for a while you could easily miss these phases.
In the fall ladybugs are numerous and common, crawling on houses looking for a warm place to spend the winter, even though most won’t live that long anyhow. Ladybugs are easy to see at this time of year on the plain background of houses. Birds see them too and you may see birds poking around windows looking for insects to eat. .
Edit: I was just thinking that the human lifecycle is similar. At fist we were few in numbers and widely distributed. But now we are overrunning the planet and the ecosystem will collapse under our demands. Exponential growth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom