MobiColour RESULT: MC #89 Theme: Close Ups - Oct 9-15

Ladybirds sunning themselves on a wall.
20171010_150341-01.jpeg

And a ladybird larvae pupating. It should emerge as an adult in a few days and overwinter like that I think.
20171008_114203-01.jpeg

I'm excited if I see a single ladybug in the garden. And rizole's got a community of them sunning themselves on his wall!!
Every summer around May I would buy lady beetles and release them in my garden... it was amazing for the first day or two, seeing them everywhere. Then they’d fly off, and I’d search out the few who decided to stay. :inlove: They helped keep the aphids at bay.

Every summer around May I would buy lady beetles and release them in my garden... it was amazing for the first day or two, seeing them everywhere. Then they’d fly off, and I’d search out the few who decided to stay. :inlove: They helped keep the aphids at bay.
I must check out where/how I can do that. Being one of if not the most isolated city in the world - quarantine laws:/

You also need to consider that most insects have a very short lifespan. We notice them when they become conspicuous or numerous and often this means mating time. After that the old adults die off and the next phase of life is tiny newly hatched grubs that we don’t see as many live in the soil or hidden among plant debris until they get bigger. And finally they all reach the adult stage and suddenly they are everywhere for a short time. If you were away or busy for a while you could easily miss these phases.
In the fall ladybugs are numerous and common, crawling on houses looking for a warm place to spend the winter, even though most won’t live that long anyhow. Ladybugs are easy to see at this time of year on the plain background of houses. Birds see them too and you may see birds poking around windows looking for insects to eat. .
Edit: I was just thinking that the human lifecycle is similar. At fist we were few in numbers and widely distributed. But now we are overrunning the planet and the ecosystem will collapse under our demands. Exponential growth.

But I think I have to disagree, Brian. The lady years we had ladybugs galore in that backyard and it started good that way, remember the colony of little flys being controlled by ants I postest somewhere in Spring? There is nothing from them left, and I can hardly spot any ant, too. And believe me, I looked for bugs and those the whole time. It was like a big eraser came up. More or less from one day to the other. And the dead blackbirds came on top that had no injuries, just dropped dead, a father and his kid. Too sad. I rather bet of something that should have killed weeds and did much more. [emoji853]

Ladybirds sunning themselves on a wall.View attachment 100252
And a ladybird larvae pupating. It should emerge as an adult in a few days and overwinter like that I think.View attachment 100253

Aww, seems you also have only the Asian ones. But aren't they cute? Some winters ago I had a colony on my balcony. I woke them up accidentally in March when I unfolded the cover of my chair there. Looked. Beautiful when they came back to life. [emoji177]

Last edited:
But I think I have to disagree, Brian. The lady years we had ladybugs galore in that backyard and it started good that way, remember the colony of little flys being controlled by ants I postest somewhere in Spring? There is nothing from them left, and I can hardly spot any ant, too. And believe me, I looked for bugs and those the whole time. It was like a big eraser came up. More or less from one day to the other. And the dead blackbirds came on top that had no injuries, just dropped dead, a father and his kid. Too sad. I rather bet of something that should have killed weeds and did much more. [emoji853]

That does sound extreme. Killing off insects to that degree would affect soil bacteria and the growth of plants.

That does sound extreme. Killing off insects to that degree would affect soil bacteria and the growth of plants.

Agreed. But the flowers grew very well in that little yard. And it was more meadow flowers it looked so natural no roses and such "artificial" beauties, just what was habitual flowers that seemed forgotten. It's very strange. Will look even closer next year.

By the way this one was my own Close Up when I swapped places with that lady (from my previous post) some minutes later. (Hipstamatic on 6s+, original shot, the Hipsta square cut off the nose and was b/w, still nice, but this one is much nicer, nothing attached, a little enhanced in Snapseed. But they were so quick all the time, soon as you're focused they were gone [emoji1], but I love this one.)

IMG_6987.JPG

Last edited:
By the way this one was my own Close Up when I swapped places with that lady (from my previous post) some minutes later. (Hipstamatic on 6s+, original shot, the Hipsta square cut off the nose and was b/w, still nice, but this one is much nicer, nothing attached, a little enhanced in Snapseed. But they were so quick all the time, soon as you're focused they were gone [emoji1], but I love this one.)

View attachment 100294
I love it too :)

View attachment 100294
I love it because I can see your shoe in it. Super.

View attachment 100294

Wheeee!!!! LOVE this!! [emoji16][emoji1373]

I love it too :)

Thank you! [emoji4]

I love it because I can see your shoe in it. Super.

[emoji177][emoji1] yes, had to bend down to get closer. So sad all the other 50 or 100 were too blurry to keep. They were tame and curious in one hand and so quickly alerted and cautious on the other. But I could sit there for hours just watching them. [emoji177]

Too cute!!!!
I'd love to see how her pictures turned out.

Wheeee!!!! LOVE this!! [emoji16][emoji1373]
[emoji144]‍♀️ [emoji177][emoji1]

Back
Top Bottom