MobiColour RESULT: MC #92 Theme: Motion Blur/Slow Shutter - Oct 30-Nov 5

15077537886_ddff3a3743_o.jpg

From 3 years ago, taken with an iPhone 5s and Slow Shutter Cam. I think that every now and then the broken streaks in iPhone long exposures can add to rather than detract from a photo.

This afternoon I made several more tests with slow shutter apps. This is something to think about - doing slow shutter tests in full sunlight with no neutral density filters and shooting directly into the light and having shutter speeds of up to 15 seconds. This obviously would not work with real continuous time exposures so there is something to be said for the segmented approach. I could have made longer exposures but I observed that the effect usually looked nicer at 5 or 10 seconds.
IMG_9062.JPG

In a way it’s completely unreasonable to expect this to work.
I couldn’t find anything better than NightCap Camera. With these apps that layer multiple frames together there is the risk that more and more frames starts to make the image less and less sharp.
Incidentally, the ISO was set at 25 and the shutter speed it reported was 1/50000! I have no idea how many frames it made. Try that on your DSLR :p

Last edited:
Grooms of Yesteryear
View attachment 101441
IPhone 6s, CortexCam, Snapseed
I’ve added this before but wanted to post it again. This is my late wife and her sister walking through a deserted stable in a development near where we lived. I was experimenting at the time with CortexCam and came across this effect quite by accident ;)
I’d take this in my new b&w challenge Jeffrey.:thumbs:

This afternoon I made several more tests with slow shutter apps. This is something to think about - doing slow shutter tests in full sunlight with no neutral density filters and shooting directly into the light and having shutter speeds of up to 15 seconds. This obviously would not work with real continuous time exposures so there is something to be said for the segmented approach. I could have made longer exposures but I observed that the effect usually looked nicer at 5 or 10 seconds.
View attachment 101505
In a way it’s completely unreasonable to expect this to work.
I couldn’t find anything better than NightCap Camera. With these apps that layer multiple frames together there is the risk that more and more frames starts to make the image less and less sharp.
Incidentally, the ISO was set at 25 and the shutter speed it reported was 1/50000! I have no idea how many frames it made. Try that on your DSLR :p
All the tech talk aside (which always gets my head spinning :confused: )... this is just beautiful, however it was made. :inlove:

View attachment 101504

From 3 years ago, taken with an iPhone 5s and Slow Shutter Cam. I think that every now and then the broken streaks in iPhone long exposures can add to rather than detract from a photo.

Three years is an ice age in mobile photography. Why, that's even before Hipsta's first Pak!

Love the image :)

It’s time for FundyBrian to adjust his lenses, tune his blurred vision and choose the winner(s) for this week! :cool: Great images everyone!

I’m on it!
First of all, I greatly appreciate how many people took up the challenge and created new images for Motion Blur. The Mobi creativity at work! We don’t tend to have many blurred images on our camera rolls.

This morning I was going through every app that might give me a slow shutter effect and trying it out. I have a small camera cart made with roller blade wheels so I was rolling it on the floor at a floor level book shelf to see the effect.
My favourite was this one.
View attachment 101497
Unfortunately I can’t tell you what app it is since it’s one of those that doesn’t identify itself in metadata. Sherlock Holmes will be needed. I can tell it saved both a DNG and jpeg so that narrows it down a bit.
Edit: it was RAW+, and only a 1/3 sec exposure, that’s the slowest it goes. Perhaps the reason I liked it best is that it is a true single exposure zoom while the rest are multiple shots layered together.
I really like this Brian. I also really like your creativity :thumbs::)

Motion Blur turned out to be a good place to exercise creative ideas and there were many different interpretations of motion and how to show it.

Top spot goes to GroovyGouvy for her Escalators photo. I especially like the combination of sharp static areas and the contrasting smooth blurs of people going in more than one direction. Her photo also has good contrast, colour and design. She made very successful use of Taru Camera on her iPod.
GroovyGouvy-7 Taru.jpg

Second goes to ImageArt - Ann for her suspension bridge photo photographed from a moving car using OverCam. It has wonderful tonality and sense of speed. If I was driving a motorcycle I would imagine my feet trailing straight back in the wind.
ImageArt-3 OverCam.jpg

Third goes to Rizole for one of his highly abstract night street scenes. He submitted the biggest variety of creative ideas but his night time exposures have lovely rich dark tones and atmosphere. There's someone not afraid to be out on the edge.
rizole-6.jpg

Everyone else deserves most highly esteemed Honourable Mentions for their unique and creative interpretations of motion.

Well done everyone for taking the challenge.

And now its up to GroovyGouvy to set the theme for the next MC challenge.

Back
Top Bottom