Sign Spotting

Seen today in our favourite little town.

IMG_0187.JPG

There are several of these "parking meters" around Fredericton.
IMG_0529.JPG

The city's idea is that, if you're in a generous mood, instead of giving handouts to individual street people you will put your donations into these collection meters and the money will go towards services to help all street people.
I presume these are recycled old style meters.

View attachment 89578
The city's idea is that, if you're in a generous mood, instead of giving handouts to individual street people you will put your donations into these collection meters and the money will go towards services to help all street people.

What a great idea!

View attachment 89578
They wouldn't last five minutes over here unfortunately. They'd be broken into, probably before anyone had had time to put any money in.

We have snow!
View attachment 89019
Native cam. iPhone 7+.
I had to put on my snowshoes to get up on the snowbank for the picture. Yes, this is a regular height stop sign.
Gee, Brian, your photos this year seem to show a much harsher winter than I remember from your past winters. Is it just that you have opened the window a little wider to your world?

Gee, Brian, your photos this year seem to show a much harsher winter than I remember from your past winters. Is it just that you have opened the window a little wider to your world?

Overall our winter has been unseasonably mild and lacking enough snow to ski. Then there's the big snowstorms that drop a load on us all at once. The nice weather isn't exciting to report on. There seems to be a pattern of wilder swings in the weather. We have just had a few very mild days including some heavy rain(!) that ate a lot of snow. I was looking foreword to some more good skiing but now I'll have to wait for another storm.

They wouldn't last five minutes over here unfortunately. They'd be broken into, probably before anyone had had time to put any money in.

They seem to be holding up OK in Fredericton. The regular parking meters have gone all electronic now. There's a parking app for your phone so you can add more money to the meter from your phone if you're running later than expected.
My daughter tells me there are complications with who is eligible to take advantage of the public money so it pays to understand it from the street peoples' perspective. For instance, if you are a street person and have a dog you can't go to the shelter so you can't take advantage of the meter donations. For those people it is better to give them some money directly.

IMG_0495.JPG

Not literally a sign but the icon on the box speaks to dog owners. This box it put out on the sidewalk every day in front of a restaurant on Queen Street (a main street) in Fredericton. There is usually a water bowl for dogs, too. It must have been being refilled when we went by. Inside the box are free dog treats. I guess sometimes dog owners will pop inside for a coffee and leave their dog outside for a few minutes. Meanwhile the dog has a treat and access to water. The owner can keep an eye on their dog [emoji190] from the window.
I remember seeing this box there last year, too, and my daughter tells me it is always there while the restaurant is open. You can see the box is not secured to anything.

View attachment 89578

We have yellow ones here in Saint Petersburg.

Back
Top Bottom