Wakeup call for privacy

Call me *naive* maybe, but this article has such a negative, sinister outlook. Yes, all those bad things could happen, but good things also happen. I’ve met sooooo many great people who I would never have met without the online, virtual connection (MobiTog being high on the list). :inlove:

More than anything it raises serious questions about the ethics of the people running the show. If you had good people guiding it it would be more likely to have a good outcome. Do you think it likely they would forgo profit for the public good?

Call me *naive* maybe, but this article has such a negative, sinister outlook. Yes, all those bad things could happen, but good things also happen. I’ve met sooooo many great people who I would never have met without the online, virtual connection (MobiTog being high on the list). :inlove:
I don’t think you are :) There is so much good about the Internet. MobiTog being just one part :)

We need to be mindful that there are those who prey on others: just like offline. Situational Awareness is what law enforcement calls it. I have a friend who is a teacher and teaches rudimentary internet safety in one of her classes at her school. Hopefully other teachers and schools will follow her lead :)

At work I send out irregular emails on different subjects to do with safety, security, malware/ransomware, and general tips and tricks. That, together with good hardware, helps us to keep our network robust and fairly clean. ;)

I don’t think you are :) There is so much good about the Internet. MobiTog being just one part :)

We need to be mindful that there are those who prey on others: just like offline. Situational Awareness is what law enforcement calls it. I have a friend who is a teacher and teaches rudimentary internet safety in one of her classes at her school. Hopefully other teachers and schools will follow her lead :)

At work I send out irregular emails on different subjects to do with safety, security, malware/ransomware, and general tips and tricks. That, together with good hardware, helps us to keep our network robust and fairly clean. ;)
Exactly! Just like in the pre-digital days we learned not to take candy from strangers, etc. This is really just a new twist on it.

More than anything it raises serious questions about the ethics of the people running the show. If you had good people guiding it it would be more likely to have a good outcome. Do you think it likely they would forgo profit for the public good?
No. In America the Dollar reigns supreme
Exactly! Just like in the pre-digital days we learned not to take candy from strangers, etc. This is really just a new twist on it.
sadly with equally devistating results. :(

There were 3 features about privacy & Facebook on the TV news this evening. Increased speculation about government legislation to protect privacy on social media. That is the topic of tonight’s web poll.
I don’t think we should underestimate where this might go. People are worried and upset.

30571403_230815804330942_8952254017296138240_n.jpg

Any free social media platform is prone to see you or your "data" as a product to make money rather than a person with certain rights. The problem is, this probably also applies to platforms you have to pay for. No, not every free platform is evil nor every paid one. But how can you really tell?

Take a look at Hoccer on https://hoccer.com/ It's sort of Whatsapp. I think they are a positive example how to do things right. All is encrypted, no email or phone number needed to make an account. All data on German servers, thus using the high standard German protection law. All is free. But, I don't know, sounds too good to be true in these days?

I'll be round;)
I tried and gave up, just thought I'd register if it was going to be the next BIG thing :rolleyes:
So. I just read this in a review of Vero:

"It’s very hard to leave. The “delete your account” option is hidden away under “support” — instead of finding it in settings, you need to go to your profile, hit a question mark, open a dropdown menu labelled “who would you like to contact?”, and select “delete my account”.

The app then tells you your request has been submitted, and you have to wait to see if the Powers That Be give you permission to leave."

What fresh hell is this? :eek::confused:;):whistle:

Any free social media platform is prone to see you or your "data" as a product to make money rather than a person with certain rights. The problem is, this probably also applies to platforms you have to pay for. No, not every free platform is evil nor every paid one. But how can you really tell?

Take a look at Hoccer on https://hoccer.com/ It's sort of Whatsapp. I think they are a positive example how to do things right. All is encrypted, no email or phone number needed to make an account. All data on German servers, thus using the high standard German protection law. All is free. But, I don't know, sounds too good to be true in these days?
Possibly. They did have this to say in their FAQ:

"The messenger uses several factors, which combined, result in a highly secure service. Here are the most important ones for you summed up:

• Data minimization. We respect and therefore, protect your privacy as you do not need to indicate a telephone number, your email address or any other sensitive data to our messaging service.
  • Transport and end-to-end encryption are protecting your messages
  • Servers: Our servers are all located in Germany and are therefore subject to the German data protection law. All messages and attachments are encrypted and only stored on our servers as long as their are in transmission. Afterwards, they are deleted immediately.
Possibly the name might put people off. Nowadays it seems if people can't pronounce something, no matter how good it is, they stay away from it :confused::eek:

So. I just read this in a review of Vero:

"It’s very hard to leave. The “delete your account” option is hidden away under “support” — instead of finding it in settings, you need to go to your profile, hit a question mark, open a dropdown menu labelled “who would you like to contact?”, and select “delete my account”.

The app then tells you your request has been submitted, and you have to wait to see if the Powers That Be give you permission to leave."

What fresh hell is this? :eek::confused:;):whistle:
What a fine mess we've got ourselves into .........again :lmao:

Right now the market is ripe for a new social media platform that promises to keep user data private. It is telling that we don’t see any making that offer. I’m hoping to see it happen, though.

Same here. Path came out a number of years ago; I restarted my Path timeline when I quit Facebook. No ads, only integration is with Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Swarm,WordPress, and email, each one enabled when you enable exclusively. I purchased the stickers to support the application hoping never to see ads.

Not many of my connections stayed active, but my kids check in once in a while. The iPad version used to have a cool map feature showing your recent path.

I used it in London last June, imwas able to post when I didn't have Internet, it would "catch up" when we returned to our hotel.

It's an app, and a site. https://www.path.com

Back
Top Bottom