What are you watching?

So I’m almost finished with “Station Eleven” on HBO Max (10 episode limited series) about a virus that kills off most of the population….yeah, it’s not “light” material but it’s fabulous.

I tried to wade through the book a while back. It‘s beautifully written, but the elegant cohesion of the prose is at odds with the plot, which waves around haphazardly like washing loosely pegged on a line. On a windy day :lol:.
The back & forths in time and memory might work better in a 40 mins (?) at a time tv series?

I tried to wade through the book a while back. It‘s beautifully written, but the elegant cohesion of the prose is at odds with the plot, which waves around haphazardly like washing loosely pegged on a line. On a windy day :lol:.
The back & forths in time and memory might work better in a 40 mins (?) at a time tv series?
It is well made, I enjoyed it.

There are a couple of other Star Trek related things I always watch and they're both on YouTube. One is The Ready Room with Wil Wheaton. It's produced by Paramount+ and posted to YouTube on Thursdays after the latest TV episodes drop. It has features about the shows, previews of upcoming shows, and Wil interviews the various actors both in studio and via streaming. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKfpV2bmlzODRtAZJmEKsAm8DRXqRqvzY

The other thing I watch is a channel called TrekCulture. I believe they are based out of Ireland (or maybe the UK but the two main presenters are Irish.) They do breaking news, even-handed reviews of the latest episodes, discuss all the cool background details, and all sorts of good stuff. You can find them here: https://www.youtube.com/c/TrekCulture/featured

There are a couple of other Star Trek related things I always watch and they're both on YouTube. One is The Ready Room with Wil Wheaton. It's produced by Paramount+ and posted to YouTube on Thursdays after the latest TV episodes drop. It has features about the shows, previews of upcoming shows, and Wil interviews the various actors both in studio and via streaming. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKfpV2bmlzODRtAZJmEKsAm8DRXqRqvzY

The other thing I watch is a channel called TrekCulture. I believe they are based out of Ireland (or maybe the UK but the two main presenters are Irish.) They do breaking news, even-handed reviews of the latest episodes, discuss all the cool background details, and all sorts of good stuff. You can find them here: https://www.youtube.com/c/TrekCulture/featured
I’ll check those out when I have a chance. Thanks!

For those that liked Arcane, here's a video done by the same French production company. The band, K/DA, is a virtual one, virtual in the sense gorillaz are, and the members come from League of Legends, like the story and characters in Arcane. It's all a bit K-pop. I'm a bit enamoured with the simple, understated brilliance of the animations these people produce.
Arcane has won 11 awards for reference:

I won't embed this in the thread, it has issues, but my eldest recommended this to me and I quite enjoyed it in a horrified, car crash sort of way.
Should you fancy it, go on youtube and search for What The Internet Did To Garfield. It's 1 hr 20m long.
It goes to some quite dark places but it's well made, takes you on a journey, is an interesting take on internet culture and analysis of Garfield itself. May not be for those that love Garfield.
Here's "The Forgiveness of Jon" :inlove: which may or may not give you an idea of how deep the rabbit hole goes.
9nhnc6ter3151.jpg

And for those that like Garfield:
Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
I've had Baker Street by Jerry Rafferty stuck in my head all week. Took me a while to work out why as I haven't heard it recently. Turns out it's the fault of Star Treck Discovery. I made this...didn't even need to mess with the key...you're all very welcome :)
Discovery Street.

We’ve just finished watching Hard Cell (Netflix) with Catherine Tate. We loved it. It’s all there - comedy, tragedy, pathos, intrigue; and the end!! :eek:She plays multiple characters and plays them brilliantly. What a talent!

Here’s a list of some of my current faves. Luckily many have a huge gap between seasons, and there’s the summer break too (giving me time to binge watch things like Twin Peaks :rolleyes:). Most of my all-time-favorites-ever are in the “Gone” list (which is almost entirely made up from HBO or Showtime)...
  1. American Crime
  2. Grace & Frankie
  3. Grey’s Anatomy
  4. Modern Family
  5. Orange is the New Black
  6. Project Runway
  7. Schitt’s Creek*
  8. Shameless
  9. Stranger Things
  10. This Is Us
  11. Tiny House Nation
  12. Twin Peaks: The Return
  13. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Gone but not forgotten (I could rewatch every episode in all of these):
  1. Breaking Bad
  2. Sherlock
  3. Black Mirror
  4. Six Feet Under
  5. Californication
  6. Weeds
  7. Enlightened
  8. Curb Your Enthusiasm
  9. The Comeback
  10. Girls
  11. Downton Abbey
  12. The Leftovers
  13. Lost
  14. The Sopranos
  15. True Blood
  16. Twin Peaks (original series)
  17. Seinfeld
  18. Will & Grace
  19. The Office (US version)

*Some cast members from a few of my favorite films!! “Best In Show”, “Waiting For Guffman”, “A Mighty Wind”.
Schitts creek exceeded my expectations in a good way , we were sorry when it finished

We’ve been watching “ER” again. This started in the 90’s, George Clooney etc. great show but we’re up to season 13 and you can start to see why it finished at season 15.

I finished Peacemaker last week. I loved it, but I will admit it’s not for everyone. I applaud DC and HBO Max for letting James Gun take such chances with their characters.

Next week are the finales of Moon Knight and Picard S2. Both have been amazing so far. But for me, the really big thing is the debut of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. When you consider that the original Star Trek pilot “The Cage” was created in January 1965, and SNW is that show finally brought to TV, that makes 57 years between pilot and green light. That has to be a record.

I finished Peacemaker last week. I loved it, but I will admit it’s not for everyone. I applaud DC and HBO Max for letting James Gun take such chances with their characters.

Next week are the finales of Moon Knight and Picard S2. Both have been amazing so far. But for me, the really big thing is the debut of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. When you consider that the original Star Trek pilot “The Cage” was created in January 1965, and SNW is that show finally brought to TV, that makes 57 years between pilot and green light. That has to be a record.
Peacemaker was fabulous, John Cena just steals the show, he's such a good actor considering his background and a great sense of humour.

Halo is a game of two halves, going between gory hard edged fight scenes and pointless schmaltzy drama. Moon Knight is excellent, Oscar Isaac once more showing how its done in multiple parts.

Slow Horses is an excellent spy drama, like a cut down version of Line of Duty without the incessant mystery.

Zenjenny, if you enjoyed Twin Peaks, try Outer Range, cut from similar cloth, but not quite as wacky.

Tokyo Vice is excellent, visually impressive and insightfully written.

I am anxious for Strange New Worlds, too. I like the way to new series were arranged this year. Discovery ended and Picard began. Now Picard is ending and Strange New Worlds will start. I’ll probably cry when that ends.

Russian Doll.
Comedy drama, dealing with time loops and some weighty existential themes with sex, profanity, intoxicants and a constant stream of cigarettes.
Season 2 is just airing. I watched the first 3 years ago so I rewatched it again before getting into the 2nd series. Still good on the 2nd watch.
I'm pretty much a atheist but if I had to pick a religeon it would be judasim. It has the best sense of humour of the lot of them and doesn't have to always take itself so seriously.
Oy, maybe I'm just meshugana. What, me worry?

Russian Doll.
Comedy drama, dealing with time loops and some weighty existential themes with sex, profanity, intoxicants and a constant stream of cigarettes.
Season 2 is just airing. I watched the first 3 years ago so I rewatched it again before getting into the 2nd series. Still good on the 2nd watch.
I'm pretty much a atheist but if I had to pick a religeon it would be judasim. It has the best sense of humour of the lot of them and doesn't have to always take itself so seriously.
Yes, I loved Russian Doll. :thumbs:Haven’t started the new one yet.

Russian Doll.
Oh yes. I LOVED season 1 and have also been thinking I may need to rewatch it before diving into season 2. ❤️

For those that liked Arcane, here's a video done by the same French production company. The band, K/DA, is a virtual one, virtual in the sense gorillaz are, and the members come from League of Legends, like the story and characters in Arcane. It's all a bit K-pop. I'm a bit enamoured with the simple, understated brilliance of the animations these people produce.
Arcane has won 11 awards for reference:
Totally agree. Wow, the graphics in this are incredible and so clever! Must have taken them forever to make.

Back
Top Bottom