MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
What if any do you use? For what purpose? Any standout pros & cons?

My main purpose is multi-tasking (of sorts): listening to audiobooks & podcasts while pottering about @ home & garden. If there’s any such thing, I’d love a set I could take to the pool.

A recent
Techradar review puts the modestly-priced* Sony WF-1000XM3 way ahead of all of Apple’s offerings. Lower-priced Lypertek Tevi, which I’ve never heard of, gets rave reviews....

Thoughts? :) :notworthy: :)

*before sinnerjohn John has an apoplectic fit, ‘modestly-priced’ = relative to the previous default Apple options

What if any do you use? For what purpose? Any standout pros & cons?

My main purpose is multi-tasking (of sorts): listening to audiobooks & podcasts while pottering about @ home & garden. If there’s any such thing, I’d love a set I could take to the pool.

A recent
Techradar review puts the modestly-priced* Sony WF-1000XM3 way ahead of all of Apple’s offerings. Lower-priced Lypertek Tevi, which I’ve never heard of, gets rave reviews....

Thoughts? :) :notworthy: :)

*before sinnerjohn John has an apoplectic fit, ‘modestly-priced’ = relative to the previous default Apple options
I use Apple Airpods for all my listening pleasure :D , except when I want to take sneaky photos or I want to take a photo on a tripod, then I use my Apple wired ones. The Airpods are brilliant. No sound escapes. But I don’t walk around with them in, so I can’t comment on how well they would do in that situation.

I use Apple Airpods for all my listening pleasure :D , except when I want to take sneaky photos or I want to take a photo on a tripod, then I use my Apple wired ones. The Airpods are brilliant. No sound escapes. But I don’t walk around with them in, so I can’t comment on how well they would do in that situation.
I had a huge tangled mass of wired earbuds. Now I have a cool cross body phone case so I can take sneaky pictures and I can’t find even one. There used to be half a dozen varieties at the grocery check out for $5 and I can’t find any of those, either. Curse wireless ear pieces! (Sorry, zenjenny )

I had a huge tangled mass of wired earbuds. Now I have a cool cross body phone case so I can take sneaky pictures and I can’t find even one. There used to be half a dozen varieties at the grocery check out for $5 and I can’t find any of those, either. Curse wireless ear pieces! (Sorry, zenjenny )
For that stealthy stuff, I use a bluetooth trigger instead of the wired earbuds. It's even less conspicuous and easier to shoot with. ImageArt mentioned CamKix, and I bought one from Amazon. It works well and stays connected better than most.

For that stealthy stuff, I use a bluetooth trigger instead of the wired earbuds. It's even less conspicuous and easier to shoot with. ImageArt mentioned CamKix, and I bought one from Amazon. It works well and stays connected better than most.

I had one that definitely did NOT stay connected. I‘ll keep rummaging for my earbuds or pods or whatever the wired ones are.

I stopped using wired headphones in 2016. I used to cycle to work with my phone in my pocket listening to podcasts. The repetition of pumping my legs and bending the headphone jack back and forth and back and forth in my pocket eventually broke it so I got some bluetooth headphones and have never looked back.
My original bluetooth headphones got trashed when I was run over by a bus. I now have 3 options, all ostensably free.

My first is a Goji govbt17 headset. My youngest bought these with money he got for xmas and birthdays a few years ago and realised he didn't want them, they didn't do what he wanted so I got them as cast offs.
20210123_184056.jpg

I broke the head band quite quickly. They were never designed for falling asleep in it turns out. :rolleyes:

The headband now retains its integrity by using large wire paperclips bent to shape and gaffer (duct) taped into position. I sometimes have to take them apart and put them back together as the tape slackens over time but not often and I get better at it each time.
Recently the rechargable battery stopped holding a charge. I've soldered in a new battery, one that holds a higher charge and get around 18 hours continuous use. I'm not sure how long because I'm rarely awake that long. Something I've learnt is that lithium polymer batterys can go into general waste as long as they are fully discharged. If they are not fully discharged, put them in salt water for a couple of days. Not sure you can buy this headset any more but originally they were around £30 in a sale. £12 for a new battery.

My main earbuds are Jlabs Jbuds.
20210123_184118.jpg

Around 3/4 hours play time. The charging pod that comes with them holds around 2/3 charge cycles so from fully charged earbuds and pod there's something like 16 hours play time. I changed the rubbery thing on the right ear to white to make it easier to know which ear each goes in. These are great, small, portable, descrete. Where the headset above isolates you from noise and people in the outside world, these allow some noise in and allows you to respond to others in your life. Bonus. The down side is they can fall out your ear. It's happened a couple of times outside the house at night and I've had to go back the next day and look for it in day light. I've found the lost one obs but they are easier to lose.
These are around £50 and I wouldn't normally think of spending that much on headphones. Fortunately my sister gives me £10 gift tokens for each xmas and birthday so effectively she bought them for me after a few years of me stockpilling tokens.

Lastly is my Faster F-69 bluetooth headset.
20210123_184131.jpg

It spent 3 months in the college lost property before I calimed it so no cost to me. At about 1000 rupees ( £10) this is the cheepest. The beauty of this is I can go to bed with a podcast, music, movie or tv program on my phone or tablet without pressure from an earpiece or headphone on the side I'm lying on.

Not to diss iPods (I am dissing them, I'm not sure why I'm saying I'm not) but I'd think twice about spending £30 on earbuds and thrice at higher costs. I'd completely baulk at ipod prices. Maybe more evidence of zenjenny's disrespect of minority groups perhaps. :appsir:

On a last note, the Jlabs and Faster earbuds are both waterproof enough to be worn in a shower with hair washing going on with a little care. Wouldn't expect them to last long in a swimming pool though.

Last edited:
Original Apple AirPods mostly for phone calls, they seem to lose the charge quickly. Age maybe. Not crazy about them, bought skins for them so they don't look like Q-tips sticking out of my ears.

For workouts and such, Jabra 65t... great battery life and easy to connect to two devices at the same time, PLUS noise cancellation which can be turned off and on with a double tap. When I use my treadmill, they block the noise.

I have a number of others, mostly over the ear, but these are the two most used.

My main earbuds are Jlabs Jbuds.
Snap, mine were £14.99 as I had a £25 voucher from work and Currys PC World had them £10 off as well :)
I've got the Jlabs Jbud Air Icon.

I'd completely baulk at ipod prices. Maybe more evidence of @zenjenny's disrespect of minority groups perhaps. :appsir:
Completely agree but you can't tell the Apple majority, fools and their money etc :lol:

Snap, mine were £14.99 as I had a £25 voucher from work and Currys PC World had them £10 off as well :)
I've got the Jlabs Jbud Air Icon.

Completely agree but you can't tell the Apple majority, fools and their money etc :lol:
I don’t have any wireless earphones. No money left after buying my iPhone :lmao:.

I don’t have any wireless earphones. No money left after buying my iPhone :lmao:.
Right?? :lol:

But if I listen to music with headphones I inevitably play it way too loud and then have a headache. :rolleyes: And I know it’s not good for your ears... so if I listen to music, or anything, it’s through my Bose bluetooth speaker. I also never listen to anything while on a walk/hike... only want to listen to the quiet, or what’s around me.

I recently bought the Jabra Active 75T wireless headphones. They fit very nicely for me using the ear tips that were supplied.
I find them to be very stable even for running with them. The sound is good, but I am no audiophile and this is the first pair I have tried. They have ‘hearthrough’ and ANC modes which work quite well. A big plus for me is the buttons on the ear pods are ‘mechanical’ not touch sensitive, this allows me to make selections even wearing woolly gloves and hat 9I live in the Highlands...
Perfect for me.

I’ve been using an Otium pair for about a year now...mainly for talking on the phone, but also for music or watching a movie on Netflix or Amazon Prime. They run about $20 on Amazon, but my D-I-L sent these to me. I’ve bought several as gifts for friends and grandkids. They are supposed to be sweat and water resistant.
8A073A3C-83B2-4D53-AB3E-9DB0BF1AB6BB.jpeg

I usually only have one in and the left one I loop over the neck of my shirt. I wear both in the car or when listening to music. They come. With different size thingys that pop on...the biggest ones turn them into a noise cancelling ear bud. The crocheted string is how I tie. Them onto my bag instead of using any kind of metal clip....just because I already have a ton of carabiner clips holding all kinds of crap to my bag :grimacing:

Just remembered something... Bluetooth tech doesn't work (well) underwater. Sounds like it can be done but my experience of taking underwater shots in beach pools is that it just doesn't work. So I was taking pictures at around a couple of inches underwater, crouched with my headset maybe 2 or 3 foot away from my phone and the signal cut out every time. Something to do with the wave length of bluetooth not making it well through water.
I googled it. It probably does work if you can throw enough money at it.

And as I've got a new phone with new earbuds thown in free... here's what £169 will buy you...
They look ostensibly the same as my Jlab ear buds but the tech packed into them is quite a step up. Touch sensitive control for volume, playing, skipping and answering calls. Noise cancellation - it uses the charge up quicker naturally but I'm looking forward to seeing how that performs on public transport. Sensors on the earbuds that pause whatever's playing when one of them is taken out the ear. Software updates. Never had headphones with software updates before. The case will also wireless charge. My new phone can even wirelessly charge the earbud case if need be.
To sum up though, of all the options I have I prefer the headset held together with gaffer tape. The play time on those blow all the others out the water.
IMG_20210206_202933.jpg

Last edited:
And as I've got a new phone with new earbuds thown in free... here's what £169 will buy you...
They look ostensibly the same as my Jlab ear buds but the tech packed into them is quite a step up. Touch sensitive control for volume, playing, skipping and answering calls. Noise cancellation - it uses the charge up quicker naturally but I'm looking forward to seeing how that performs on public transport. Sensors on the earbuds that pause whatever's playing when one of them is taken out the ear. Software updates. Never had headphones with software updates before. The case will also wireless charge. My new phone can even wirelessly charge the earbud case if need be.
To sum up though, of all the options I have I prefer the headset held together with gaffer tape. The play time on those blow all the others out the water.View attachment 164437
They almost sound too complicated to me. Strangely I don’t mind learning new software but I hate working out gadgets and electrical stuff although I always get allocated the job by the DH who hates it more than me.

They almost sound too complicated to me. Strangely I don’t mind learning new software but I hate working out gadgets and electrical stuff although I always get allocated the job by the DH who hates it more than me.
I know right. The last microwave we got at work came with an instruction manual. It's a microwave, shouldn't need instructions, user interface failure before we even turned it on.

Hi! From my experience, as you have an 12 go for the arpods pro, if possible. The main reason to avoid anothers is that you get all from the earphones features and performance. Bying from other brands you wont get all the features they have to offer. I had the airpods and airpods pro. For my ear, the pro's were much more confortable. the normal airpods hurt my ear after 15m minutes listening to music.
I´ve tried several othe earbuds, with the 12 pro max, and for me the Huawei Freebuds Pro were the ones who give me the richer sound. Better than the Sony 1000XN3. Now, as I said, as I was an iPhone user and I could't manage all the features of the earphones. For instance, I have to ask my son to pair the Freebuds with his Android to do firmware updates.
Two more important things I've learnd: The apple airpods gives you more conection reliability, you can get more distantece from the phone, even with walls in the midle that you wont have any sound interferences. I have the s21 ultra with the earbuds pro and they dont have the same conection reliability as the airpods, were two walls in the midle and they start to fail. Another thing is the tips from the earphones that I've found more confortable, are the ones with an oval shape, not the round ones. The round ones are confortablem but after an hour using them I start feelling the pressure on my ear, what don't happen with the ovals ones. Hoppe this help.

I know right. The last microwave we got at work came with an instruction manual. It's a microwave, shouldn't need instructions, user interface failure before we even turned it on.
When we put in a new shower some time back, the lady at the showroom wanted me to buy this high tech shower panel where you could set each person’s ideal temperature yadda, yadda. Geez, can you imagine if that thing goes wrong. A fortune to repair and it’s bound to go wrong. I delight in just being able to turn it on - the temperature is set anyway. Since then I realised how much I change the temperature a fraction depending on how cold it is. Imagine having to work out the damn panel each time. :rolleyes:

Hi! From my experience, as you have an 12 go for the arpods pro, if possible. The main reason to avoid anothers is that you get all from the earphones features and performance. Bying from other brands you wont get all the features they have to offer. I had the airpods and airpods pro. For my ear, the pro's were much more confortable. the normal airpods hurt my ear after 15m minutes listening to music.
I´ve tried several othe earbuds, with the 12 pro max, and for me the Huawei Freebuds Pro were the ones who give me the richer sound. Better than the Sony 1000XN3. Now, as I said, as I was an iPhone user and I could't manage all the features of the earphones. For instance, I have to ask my son to pair the Freebuds with his Android to do firmware updates.
Two more important things I've learnd: The apple airpods gives you more conection reliability, you can get more distantece from the phone, even with walls in the midle that you wont have any sound interferences. I have the s21 ultra with the earbuds pro and they dont have the same conection reliability as the airpods, were two walls in the midle and they start to fail. Another thing is the tips from the earphones that I've found more confortable, are the ones with an oval shape, not the round ones. The round ones are confortablem but after an hour using them I start feelling the pressure on my ear, what don't happen with the ovals ones. Hoppe this help.
I just think the price is ridiculous. I use them mostly for YouTube videos so sound is not paramount. I’m not a sound connoisseur and my ears are small so my most comfortable earphones is a free wired pair I got on a flight. :lol:

Also I’d be so neurotic about losing them, I’d probably tie a piece of string to them :lmao:.

Yes their price is insane. I do like music. Since I remember my parents allways had music at home. We used to listen lots of music. So sound quality for me is very important. And the airpods are not sound perfect. If you just want to use them casualy it no make sense to spent such amout of money. There are now many cheap options with nice sound quality. At Amazon you can find good examples.

Back
Top Bottom