Embracing Britishness: biscuits

Cookies: How do you like yours?

• Total voters
:eek::eek::eek: :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed:
On a similar subject, you have something called 'grits' don't you and it doesn't matter how many times someone tries to explain what they are, I still can't fathom it !

I've heard of grits but never seen them. (But then, I'm in California, which is not always considered part of the United States in some other parts of the United States.) From the descriptions, it sounds like a coarse cornmeal mush (which I have had but which we always just called mush).
Grits are DELISH.... and a staple of down home soul food. But you can't just eat them plain. Lots of butter and salt & pepper are my favorite toppings, but adding sharp cheddar cheese is also yum. The creamier the better, IMO. Chopped scallions would probably be really good too. Ted, yes I think they would be similar to cornmeal mush (which I've never had), or a courser type of polenta.

And the British have bubble & squeak :D

Ahem! We eat bubble and squeak actually.:mobibabe: If I’m cooking any sort of greens, I’ll make extra mashed potato just so we can have b&s with poached eggs for breakfast.
The name alone is awesome. :D I Googled it and it kind of sounds similar to a veggie frittata? Where in the world did the name come from?? :confused:

Up in Mentone, Alabama there is the Wildflower Cafe where one can enjoy Polenta and Shrimp. Totally delicious. They also make a baked tomato pie that is to die for :) http://www.mentonewildflower.com/
That cafe looks like my kind of place. Amazing food, drink AND a shop. My idea of heaven.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom