Embracing Britishness: biscuits

Cookies: How do you like yours?

• Total voters
Inspired by you Jeffrey, I made a baked tomato pie. I wasn’t sure what it would be like because there’s cheddar, mozarella and mayonnaise :confused: in the topping. But it’s delish! I didn’t use pastry as the base, but sliced potato. Then tomatoes that had been salted and left to drip, basil and spring onions chopped and then the cheesy mayonnaisey mix and Bob’s your jolly old!

View attachment 116945
Yum!

The link was rather humorous in the lengths it went to nail down fine distinctions about biscuits.
If the British use the word biscuit for cookies then what word do you use for biscuits, as in tea biscuits, similar to an English muffin or a scone, a fairly flat-topped round and fairly dense bread roll.
As for logo text on biscuits, isn’t this just a way of branding their products to thwart imitations by other makers? It would be too easy for a rival company to duplicate the shape and appearance, and even taste, of a biscuit but also using the text would lead to copyright violations. Everything else is branded these days. Dare, Christie, Peek Frean, and even product line names like Breton (made by Dare). Anything that will hold an impression has one.
It surprises me we don’t already have logos impressed on fruits and vegetables. People hate stickers on fruit so impressed logos is the logical next step. Next they will be genetically modifying vegetables to produce the logo.

Grits are DELISH.... and a staple of down home soul food. But you can't just eat them plain. Lots of butter and salt & pepper are my favorite toppings, but adding sharp cheddar cheese is also yum. The creamier the better, IMO. Chopped scallions would probably be really good too. Ted, yes I think they would be similar to cornmeal mush (which I've never had), or a courser type of polenta.
I had it when we were in Canada jonks ago. Loved it! Are grits made from corn? Reminds me of ‘pap’ that we used to have in South Africa, gritty stodgy maize meal that we had with farm sausage and tomato ‘bredie’ - thick fresh tomato sauce. To die for. Old Dutch tradition.

I had it when we were in Canada jonks ago. Loved it! Are grits made from corn? Reminds me of ‘pap’ that we used to have in South Africa, gritty stodgy maize meal that we had with farm sausage and tomato ‘bredie’ - thick fresh tomato sauce. To die for. Old Dutch tradition.
Pap is a word my mum used for any pulpy semisolid mush. She also told us we were talking pap when we were lying, waffling or talking rubbish.

My ears perked up today as Fabi took some fresh baking out of the oven and said, “Now that’s what I call some nice biscuits.” And that was interesting because she knew nothing about this thread.
0E815CAB-30B7-4A7A-BC53-19FB45F14127.jpeg

Fusion.

Back
Top Bottom