IOTM Winner - Feb 21, Sep 22, Mar 24
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
We arrived in Windhoek on the Sunday and didn't see much more than the hotel. We did drive through the town to the small airport the next day and what really struck me was how well maintained all the buildings were and how clean it seemed to be.

We flew in a 10 seater to our first main destination, Sossusvlei, the land of the red sand dunes and Oryx.

Images from the sky edited in Snapseed and put together in Diptic. The middle-right image is a view of the lodge we stayed in.
IMG_3560.JPG

We arrived in Windhoek on the Sunday and didn't see much more than the hotel. We did drive through the town to the small airport the next day and what really struck me was how well maintained all the buildings were and how clean it seemed to be.

We flew in a 10 seater to our first main destination, Sossusvlei, the land of the red sand dunes and Oryx.

Images from the sky edited in Snapseed and put together in Diptic. The middle-right image is a view of the lodge we stayed in.
View attachment 107099
I am sooooooo looking forward to your Namibia adventure! :thumbs:

View attachment 107099
Wonderful collection of images, Ann! I’m looking forward to seeing more of them!

Sossusvlei. Nothing for miles. Or so it seems...

IMG_3559.JPG

Many of the animals cleared out two weeks ago when there were rains further south so not much to see at our lodge except the occasional oryx but we are really here to see the barren desert landscape anyway.

We have seen about 10 species of birds although I have to sit down and get them written up. I just love the sociable weavers who hang around the tables hoping for a crumb. They make a cute squeaking sound.

IMG_5784.JPG

Here’s a pic of the Lodge rooms with a pale winged starling in the foreground.
C0AE8A99-A610-467E-A48E-AB4006B7F2F8.jpeg

Birding:
I bought the most expensive app I have ever bought - it is for Southern African birds. Roberts and it cost £30 for JUST the iPad version. WHEN you find the bird you want it is very good and gives a lot of info and images but you cannot sort the list by Family and I find this hugely frustrating. Also the thumbnails are just too small. It only really provides lists if the place you visit is a country or a well known birding location. Although you are supposed to be able to pin an area and get a list, it refused to recognise that I was connected to the internet. It’s taking me much longer to find a bird than it would with a book but when you are only allowed 12kg luggage, it’s valuable weight. Massively frustrating.

Next... our day in the dunes.

Amazing images Ann!!! I’m so in love with the lodge you’re staying at!!! :inlove::inlove::inlove: I love how it blends right into its surroundings (and look at those surroundings!), like it’s simply part of the landscape. One of my <many> dreams is to live in something very organic like this. Super excited to see more photos.

Sossusvlei. Nothing for miles. Or so it seems...

View attachment 107100
Many of the animals cleared out two weeks ago when there were rains further south so not much to see at our lodge except the occasional oryx but we are really here to see the barren desert landscape anyway.

We have seen about 10 species of birds although I have to sit down and get them written up. I just love the sociable weavers who hang around the tables hoping for a crumb. They make a cute squeaking sound.

View attachment 107104

Here’s a pic of the Lodge rooms with a pale winged starling in the foreground.
View attachment 107105
Birding:
I bought the most expensive app I have ever bought - it is for Southern African birds. Roberts and it cost £30 for JUST the iPad version. WHEN you find the bird you want it is very good and gives a lot of info and images but you cannot sort the list by Family and I find this hugely frustrating. Also the thumbnails are just too small. It only really provides lists if the place you visit is a country or a well known birding location. Although you are supposed to be able to pin an area and get a list, it refused to recognise that I was connected to the internet. It’s taking me much longer to find a bird than it would with a book but when you are only allowed 12kg luggage, it’s valuable weight. Massively frustrating.

Next... our day in the dunes.
Fabulous. Love the weavers - they’re like beautifully marked sparrows. The lodges are so well designed to blend in with the surroundings (as Catherine says).

Internet sparse and often on a quota which tends to go towards the DH downloading The Times!

Anyhow, just in a cafe for a coffee before flying to Damaraland so I will see what I can get in. No internet for the next 6 days then. :eek:

The best shot I got of the Oryx. Snapseed.
95BD663C-FC8B-497F-8BB5-6D5DC5F22163.jpeg

The Red Dunes of Sossusvlei

Three youngsters in our party did the hard walk
E061C40A-11D3-4D19-BAA3-4C5A53466FBE.jpeg

We did the ‘easy’ walk. That sand was soft. Hard grind. Tom in front trudging up the slope. No edits except size reduction.
2EB73CFC-2344-479D-87F5-621ED38E834C.jpeg

In the dead pan. No edits.
2153E02B-2624-4C05-AAC8-B9BD6B79F6A6.jpeg

To prove we were there!
75C5A0D8-18B3-474D-861E-8D6F88FC5D79.jpeg

Finally, when we flew out in the 6 seater the next day, I managed to get a shot of where we walked. We came in over the ridge on the top left of the dead pan (lowest ridge) - you can just see a pathway. The youngsters hiked the ridge on the top.

Snapseed
3CC9312B-8560-4BFD-A5C1-29AC3214E86A.jpeg

Another aerial shots of the dunes. No edits.
F093C554-FD28-4FE2-9991-26EC7102F1D6.jpeg

Next.. scenic flight along the coast

View attachment 107163

We did the ‘easy’ walk. That sand was soft. Hard grind. Tom in front trudging up the slope. No edits except size reduction.
View attachment 107164

View attachment 107165

To prove we were there!
View attachment 107166

Finally, when we flew out in the 6 seater the next day, I managed to get a shot of where we walked. We came in over the ridge on the top left of the dead pan (lowest ridge) - you can just see a pathway. The youngsters hiked the ridge on the top.

Snapseed
View attachment 107167

View attachment 107168

Another stunning collection, Ann! Those sands dunes are amazing.

Internet sparse and often on a quota which tends to go towards the DH downloading The Times!

Anyhow, just in a cafe for a coffee before flying to Damaraland so I will see what I can get in. No internet for the next 6 days then. :eek:

The best shot I got of the Oryx. Snapseed.
View attachment 107162
OMG... I can't even.... :notworthy: WOW :inlove: WOW

View attachment 107163

View attachment 107164

View attachment 107165

To prove we were there!
View attachment 107166

Snapseed
View attachment 107167

View attachment 107168

Holy moly these are amazing images. I really can't think of anything to say other than WOW Ann!!!!! What an amazing adventure.

View attachment 107163

View attachment 107164

View attachment 107165

To prove we were there!
View attachment 107166

Snapseed
View attachment 107167

View attachment 107168

I feel like I’m looking at a National Geographic.

Aren’t they endangered now? And I think, if I remember rightly (which I don’t always :rolleyes:) that they were the inspiration for the unicorn.
Hmm, maybe in the rest of Africa but here there were a fair number of Oryx and nobody said they were endangered. I can imagine why they were the inspiration for the unicorn. Truly magnificent animals.

Another stunning collection, Ann! Those sands dunes are amazing.
Terrific photo. It needs to be entered somewhere (like in the IPPA if you have time).
Yes, I agree.:thumbs:
Love these. We went to Namibia about 10 years ago, before my photography obsession. Looking forward to reliving the adventure.
Wow! Wow! Wow!
Thank you all for your kind words but the scenery is so stunning it's almost too easy. I think millions must have the same shot of that tree - Tom certainly took almost exactly the same image LOL. I think you have to have something extra. I might enter it just out of interest but it feels a bit unfair.

Hmm, maybe in the rest of Africa but here there were a fair number of Oryx and nobody said they were endangered. I can imagine why they were the inspiration for the unicorn. Truly magnificent animals.
Sorry, it was the Arabian Oryx - overhunted, loss of habitat, etc etc.

At last I am back in the land of the living with reasonable wifi. Wow, what an adventure. It's going to take me a week to catch up I think.

Sossusvlei to Swakopmund

The flight in the little Cessna 210 (6 seater but really 5 because one rather than two in the very back is just comfortable) was a special scenic flight with the pilot dipping down low over the coastline to show us the sights. When the pilot asked who would be prepared to squeeze into the back, I quickly put up my little paw knowing that apart from being the smallest and therefore most suitable, I would also have the advantage of being able to shift from the right window to the left and get both views!

The desert running into the sea. Snapseed.
IMG_3740.JPG

Dozens of sea colonies along the coast with hundreds of seals. Snapseed
IMG_3739.JPG

The old ghost settlements and shipwrecks. First right is a shipwreck which is now quite a way from the sea due to the build up of sand. The second and third images on the left are the distant photos of the images on their right which shows the absolute desolation of the place. I would so love to photograph these buildings but think they have been done to death. See this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-town-abandoned-sand-wind-50-years-ago.html
IMG_3673.JPG

Finally the salt pans of Walvis Bay which we visited the next day. The white dots in the green section on the first image are flamingos.
IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3737.JPG

Last edited:
At last I am back in the land of the living with reasonable wifi. Wow, what an adventure. It's going to take me a week to catch up I think.

Sossusvlei to Swakopmund

The flight in the little Cessna 210 (6 seater but really 5 because one rather than two in the very back is just comfortable) was a special scenic flight with the pilot dipping down low over the coastline to show us the sites. When the pilot asked who would be prepared to squeeze into the back, I quickly put up my little paw knowing that apart from being the smallest and therefore most suitable, I would also have the advantage of being able to shift from the right window to the left and get both views!

The desert running into the sea. Snapseed.
View attachment 107430

Dozens of sea colonies along the coast with hundreds of seals. Snapseed
View attachment 107431

The old ghost settlements and shipwrecks. First right is a shipwreck which is now quite a way from the sea due to the build up of sand. The second and third images on the left are the distant photos of the images on their right which shows the absolute desolation of the place. I would so love to photograph these buildings but think they have been done to death. See this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-town-abandoned-sand-wind-50-years-ago.html
View attachment 107432

Finally the salt pans of Walvis Bay which we visited the next day. The white dots in the green section on the first image are flamingos.
View attachment 107434
View attachment 107433

Fantastic.

Thank you all for your kind words but the scenery is so stunning it's almost too easy. I think millions must have the same shot of that tree - Tom certainly took almost exactly the same image LOL. I think you have to have something extra. I might enter it just out of interest but it feels a bit unfair.
Why unfair Ann?

Back
Top Bottom