ICM Photography - Intentional Camera Movement Discussion

Wow! They’re all wonderful. :notworthy:
Amazing. They all have their virtues. I think I like the first one the best.
Thanks. :notworthy: This last batch all came from the same shooting session, where I tried something slightly different. I held the camera in one hand while flailing it around and tripped the shutter using a Bluetooth trigger. I don't know if it made a genuine difference, but it felt a bit more fluid than holding the camera in both hands and trying to hit the shutter button while moving.

I was using a CamKix trigger, like the one ImageArt mentioned, and as she said, it seems to get a good grip on the camera once it's paired. I also use a different trigger called The Claw ( :rolleyes: ) that's similarly good at keeping the connection. The Claw is more expensive than the CamKix but has a rechargeable battey rather than a replaceable coin cell like the CamKix. That means you don't have to keep a stock of batteries on hand, but it also means that if you're out walking and find the trigger's battery is dead, you can't just swap in a new one (that you happen to be carrying with you because of course you plan ahead for these things). I generally keep The Claw in my car where I can charge it from the cigarette lighter socket while I'm driving to wherever.

36E3199A-F5B9-495E-89D1-522407F5642C.jpeg

Fishing boats in the blue hour
Slow Shutter Cam (Bulb mode, camera motion), Photos

I forgot to add that "Fishing boats" was created from 5 shots using a stack on Affinity Photo, with some repositioning of the layers. "Pleasure craft" was a single shot, no stack.

View attachment 159125

This one's all camera motion, no added blur. Slow Shutter Cam in Bulb mode. (The metadata says the exposure time was 1 second, which sounds about right.)

One advantage of Slow Shutter Cam and similar apps is that you can get results like this on a fairly bright day. It would take a stack of neutral density filters to do this with a regular app like Camera-M.
Nominated for Image of the Month

That came out well :thumbs: Much more like impressionist painting than many ICM photos. I know I have OverCam here somewhere...
It’s really my favourite ICM app. It feels a little like cheating because it shows you the movement as you do it. My only beef is that the resolution could be higher but if you want it higher you can chuck it into Big Photo before doing some of the clean up.

I forgot to add that "Fishing boats" was created from 5 shots using a stack on Affinity Photo, with some repositioning of the layers. "Pleasure craft" was a single shot, no stack.

stunning :notworthy:

It's not the colours, its that big old orb of sun I find distracting.

funny isn’t it (or aren’t we [humans]): aka ‘different strokes’
I don’t like one over the other, but I do love the way that stalwart [setting?] sun, in the centre of all that softness and blur, kindof inverts the standard sunset scene where the sun blurs and everything in front of it takes on sharper focus.

Lighthouse

View attachment 160844
This is one of my experiments with Lightmatic, unfortunately at a low res setting. I sort of feel OverCam and Lightmatic are a cheating sort of ICM but then so would be stacking and that is an accepted form so hey-ho.
I really like this one and the following one -- they look like there are windows in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom