Larry the App Guy: My App Reviews

This is probably in here already but
ACDSee by ACDSee.com Mobile Inc.
https://appsto.re/ca/UpAm2.i

You can do a lot with this app but the in-apps are numerous and pricy. Prices are in US$, where you are will likely have different prices but it will give you an idea...
Effects Analog Film, 12 Effects $1.99
Effects B+W, 14 Effects $1.99
Light Effects, 71 Effects included
Nostalgia Effects, 11 Effects $1.99
Fun, HalfTone, Distortion and other have 6-10 Effects and are included.
Stickers has eight categories with around 10 stickers in each one each Category is $0.99
Frames has one free category and another 5 that are in-app for $0.99
If you want masking, gradients you have to spend $4.99 to get them.
There is no buy everything for a discount so if you wanted everything you are looking around $24.00 which I think is far too much.

Today only 17 March 2015
ALL IN-APPS are FREE
Get them while you can!
App is currently free also.

That's the only way they can persuade me getting it with Inapps. Thanks, buddy. Got to hurry!!
Hmph, forgot ios8.1 only. Have to wait till I'm home and have my iPod. Hope it's not gone already then. Any idea what time zone?

That's the only way they can persuade me getting it with Inapps. Thanks, buddy. Got to hurry!!
Hmph, forgot ios8.1 only. Have to wait till I'm home and have my iPod. Hope it's not gone already then. Any idea what time zone?
No, afraid I don't know what time zone :(

AcdSee from their web site is located in Texas and time zone is Mountain or -7, you are I believe +1 so about 8 hrs difference. But I don't know at what time the in-apps went free, maybe midnight but don't know, all you can do is try, hopefully you can get them. With all the in-apps it is not a bad app, especially the pro functions in adjustments which is the pricy one. The stickers I could care less about, most aren't to my tastes. Borders is the same, I find most are to heavy looking but I got them anyway :)

AcdSee from their web site is located in Texas and time zone is Mountain or -7, you are I believe +1 so about 8 hrs difference. But I don't know at what time the in-apps went free, maybe midnight but don't know, all you can do is try, hopefully you can get them. With all the in-apps it is not a bad app, especially the pro functions in adjustments which is the pricy one. The stickers I could care less about, most aren't to my tastes. Borders is the same, I find most are to heavy looking but I got them anyway :)
Bern Lucky and got everything. :thumbs: played around with it and started to love it - unt I wanted to save. You really loose your original picture. If I can say no, don't save, why can't I say save copy?! Okay you can reverse it but then you have to go through the whole process again to pimp the picture. Is there anywhere a switch that makes the app a save copy one like all others?! o_O

played around with it and started to love it - unt I wanted to save. You really loose your original picture.

It modifies your original if you click the word Save in the upper right. If instead you click the icon next to it (the box with the upward arrow), you'll get an option to Save A Copy.

No, I don't know why ACDSee felt it had to be different. I put up with it because I like other parts of the app so much.

That's one other thing I would like to see changed, I disliked that also but fortunately I knew about the copy but that should be the default and have replace as the option. I sent them email a while back but never heard anything which is a shame.

Glad you were able to get the in-apps :)

This is probably in here already but
ACDSee by ACDSee.com Mobile Inc.
https://appsto.re/ca/UpAm2.i

You can do a lot with this app but the in-apps are numerous and pricy. Prices are in US$, where you are will likely have different prices but it will give you an idea...
Effects Analog Film, 12 Effects $1.99
Effects B+W, 14 Effects $1.99
Light Effects, 71 Effects included
Nostalgia Effects, 11 Effects $1.99
Fun, HalfTone, Distortion and other have 6-10 Effects and are included.
Stickers has eight categories with around 10 stickers in each one each Category is $0.99
Frames has one free category and another 5 that are in-app for $0.99
If you want masking, gradients you have to spend $4.99 to get them.
There is no buy everything for a discount so if you wanted everything you are looking around $24.00 which I think is far too much.

Today only 17 March 2015
ALL IN-APPS are FREE
Get them while you can!
App is currently free also.

Thanks for the tip. I got them all, too.

Got the app for free but all the extra stuff wasn't free. It should be according to the original App Store web page, but when I tried the app it was just a bunch of nag screens. Buy buy buy. Restricted blocked unavailable. :(

It modifies your original if you click the word Save in the upper right. If instead you click the icon next to it (the box with the upward arrow), you'll get an option to Save A Copy.

No, I don't know why ACDSee felt it had to be different. I put up with it because I like other parts of the app so much.
That's one other thing I would like to see changed, I disliked that also but fortunately I knew about the copy but that should be the default and have replace as the option. I sent them email a while back but never heard anything which is a shame.

Glad you were able to get the in-apps :)
Thanks, guys, found the button. But have to
Admit on 5pod/ios8.1.x it's even more unstable. Usually the app crashes while saving. Think it's because the pod has too less "brains". Wish they would finally come up with a new 6pod. It's more than time. But I see they rather sell phones instead of a decent low price alternative. :( think I'll have to wait for the 6s to really use the app. At least all is saved.
And the borders are cool, though I don't need the stickers. :)

Loaded a really surprising and great Letter app yesterday.
Unfortunately it seems to have been free only yesterday, now it's listed with 1.99€, but for my taste it's worth it.
„Font Crafts Pro – Handcrafted fonts.“ von RoadRocks. LLC
https://appsto.re/de/llDZ5.i

And I tell you why:
• The included handcrafted fonts are unbelievably good and many.
• The app includes also many "normal" fonts.
• outline kind Stickers galore and many useful, each can be coloured as you like
• NO forcing to square with imported images (except you do a background with gradient or so within the app)
• Input = output with imported pictures (self made gradient backgrounds only 960 px square!)
• return to break lines.

This is no good picture but I've just tested different fonts for this example:
image.jpg

And it has only three minor faults:
• Before you can use the handcrafted letters they've gotta be downloaded. On my 5pod/iOS 8.1.x it took approx 4 hrs. So don't be impatient. (And it wasn't a slow connection. Maybe their servers are lame)
• You can't place the letters in angles (or I didn't yet find it)
• When typing with handcrafted letters its a bit slow.

Nevertheless to me a fantastic lettering app. Will try it on Airpad the next days …

Last edited:
Got the app for free but all the extra stuff wasn't free. It should be according to the original App Store web page, but when I tried the app it was just a bunch of nag screens. Buy buy buy. Restricted blocked unavailable. :(
Maybe they'll do it again next year for St. Patrick's. The only REALLY neccessary inapp to buy is the Pro stuff for 4.99€ whatever that is in your country. Or maybe they'll do it again for Easter and/or Christmas. Just stay tuned. :) Crossing fingers you'll get lucky.

Venomator and people who know how this side ticks ...
Why do images from this thread do not appear on the homepage? I mean if someone finds an app, puts a picture along with some details and noone (beside thread watchers) can see it, they might miss the "free" button on it - if still available. If it would pop up on the home page images and someone spots something in it that appeals they might find an app they need. I mean I often click on the pictures because of something and find threads and people I've never seen before. So wouldn't give it a chance to all to decide?
And (forgive me) even I've got beaten for this: same with the 365 and 52 threads. I'm sure they would be viewed much more often from newbies to guests if the images could be seen on the home album. If it's an interesting one it is intersting, regardless what thread it belongs to. Am I wrong or do I ask too much??? o_Oo_Oo_O

Unfortunately it seems to have been free only yesterday, now it's listed with 1.99€, but for my taste it's worth it.

And I tell you why:
• outline kind Stickers galore and many useful, each can be coloured as you like
• NO forcing to square with imported images (except you do a background with gradient or so within the app)
• Input = output with imported pictures (self made gradient backgrounds only 960 px square!)
• return to break lines.

View attachment 63027

• Before you can use the handcrafted letters they've gotta be downloaded. On my 5pod/iOS 8.1.x it took approx 4 hrs. So don't be impatient. (And it wasn't a slow connection. Maybe their servers are lame)

Nevertheless to me a fantastic lettering app. Will try it on Airpad the next days …
Lucky I got it yesterday, have not downloaded fonts yet, have not had time to try it yet....
Darn work gets in the way of hobbies :)

Not sure why pics from some threads don't show on the home page either.

Maybe they'll do it again next year for St. Patrick's. The only REALLY neccessary inapp to buy is the Pro stuff for 4.99€ whatever that is in your country. Or maybe they'll do it again for Easter and/or Christmas. Just stay tuned. :) Crossing fingers you'll get lucky.
I am watching for updates so if they come on again I'll post it. But you are right the main one to get is the pro adjustments, the rest is fluff :)

And I tell you why:
• return to break lines.

View attachment 63027

Took only five minutes or so to download all the fonts.
Text can be rotated and sized with pinch gestures or twisting with two fingers on the screen.
No punctuation or not that I have found yet.
Some fonts are really different.

Took only five minutes or so to download all the fonts.
Text can be rotated and sized with pinch gestures or twisting with two fingers on the screen.
No punctuation or not that I have found yet.
Some fonts are really different.

picture . . .?

:D

Priime. Photo editing app.
I like trying out new photo apps in hopes of finding something that covers new ground. To some degree I wonder why people make new apps that aren't better than the current offerings such as Leonardo, iColorama, Photoshop Touch. Surely they must know these apps already exist.
Anyhow, Priime is the current topic. I opened it and grabbed the first picture I came across that looked like it would make a good example, which happened to be a profile picture of me[emoji4]. Bad choice as it turns out since it wasn't shot on my iPhone so I can't post it here. I'll post another try later.
"Styles" is the first section of editing choices. Each was made by a famous photographer I have never heard of and they are supposed to illustrate the style of that photographer. I tried every one and not a single one improved the shot. Most made it worse by messing up the tonal scale, the main problem being burning out the highights or adding excessive contrast. Hmmm. Not encouraging.
So now I'll go back and try another picture.
Here's my original shot.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427157903.089369.jpg

iPhone 6, Moment wa lens, TrueHDR.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427158021.611829.jpg

This one is using the style called "Snow".

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427158104.069399.jpg

I have put the style names on the pictures using the Captions app.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427158181.204560.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427158208.118724.jpg

There are about 75 styles but only about 5 are able to save an image without buying the inapp. These ones are pretty tame compared to some of the others. You can try all the styles but can only save the paid for ones. I didn't see any I wanted to buy.
You can see these styles all bump up the highlights a bit, which this picture does not need, and introduce various colour shifts I didn't want.
I just tried 4 very different pictures, ran through all 75 styles and didn't find a single one that improved the images. I can't figure out what sort of pictures you would need to run through to get good results.

Last edited:
I meant to post this last night but forgot :(

Priime by Priime, Inc.
https://appsto.re/ca/zYkT3.i
TechnoNut's comments on AppZapp
It's ok, not great. Resolution is 4096 max on the long side, 11mp rectangular and 16mp square. There are only 8 filter effects in the free edition. 66 other FX via IAP at $.99 each or $9.99 for all 66. Pretty expensive, and the effects which you can apply to check out are minimal at best, very subtle differences. It is really hard to justify $10 to get all the ZfX when there are so many apps with similar FX for free or at least far less money. I'll keep the app in case they have a fire sale on the IAPs. I'd probably spend $3 to get the but not $10.

My added comments on AppZapp.
Full set of basic editing tools including one I have only seen in Snapseed before called Structure.
My normal gripe that this is an iPhone app and not universal and no landscape orientation.
The in-apps here in the Canadian store is $11.99 for the 66 filters.
As you said most effects are pretty mild (in the free ones) but can be adjusted and if you want you can easily stack effects.
I agree that the in-apps are simply too expensive and with a hundred other apps trying to cover the same area there is not much that makes this one stand out.

See FundyBrian images... I didn't like any I did so the only ones I did save were to see how large it saves at....

And now for some comic relief.
Men Hairstyle Photo Montage app by Elin Lim, version 1.0. Free today on AppZapp.

This looks like fun. Especially since I'm a bit short of hair. Unfortunately, the app has some bugs. Once you figure out how to start a new file and take a picture into the chosen template, the resultant picture, shot in portrait orientation, gets squashed into landscape shape. Very funny! I tried to save the image but every time I get an error message and the picture is not saved. I am doing this on an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.2. Time for a bug report. I would be interested to hear if people are successful using it with other devices, maybe iPhone 4or5 with iOS 7?
You also get repeated prompts to download a free game (unnamed). Plus the invariable ads.
There is no provision to import existing photos from the camera roll.
I can't report on save size since I can't save at all.

Instead of having no pictures at all I made some screen shots rather than trying to save images in the app.
First, here's what the picture looks like after shooting in the app. I asked my sweetie pie to help me with the screenshots and we had lots of laughs. It's harder to maintain camera alignment while pressing the screenshot buttons than when just pressing the shutter.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427241782.028630.jpg

That's just perfect!

Here's another screenshot of the picture template you put your face into to make the shot. There are 15 templates to choose from.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427241964.648077.jpg

When I had more hair it was red so the dark hair is just as alien as hair itself.
I make these with my iPhone 6 and Moment tele lens.

Last edited:
Priime. Photo editing app.
I like trying out new photo apps in hopes of finding something that covers new ground. To some degree I wonder why people make new apps that aren't better than the current offerings such as Leonardo, iColorama, Photoshop Touch. Surely they must know these apps already exist.
Anyhow, Priime is the current topic. I opened it and grabbed the first picture I came across that looked like it would make a good example, which happened to be a profile picture of me[emoji4]. Bad choice as it turns out since it wasn't shot on my iPhone so I can't post it here. I'll post another try later.
"Styles" is the first section of editing choices. Each was made by a famous photographer I have never heard of and they are supposed to illustrate the style of that photographer. I tried every one and not a single one improved the shot. Most made it worse by messing up the tonal scale, the main problem being burning out the highights or adding excessive contrast. Hmmm. Not encouraging.
So now I'll go back and try another picture.
Here's my original shot.
View attachment 63257
iPhone 6, Moment wa lens, TrueHDR.

View attachment 63258
This one is using the style called "Snow".

View attachment 63259
I have put the style names on the pictures using the Captions app.

View attachment 63260

View attachment 63261
There are about 75 styles but only about 5 are able to save an image without buying the inapp. These ones are pretty tame compared to some of the others. You can try all the styles but can only save the paid for ones. I didn't see any I wanted to buy.
You can see these styles all bump up the highlights a bit, which this picture does not need, and introduce various colour shifts I didn't want.
I just tried 4 very different pictures, ran through all 75 styles and didn't find a single one that improved the images. I can't figure out what sort of pictures you would need to run through to get good results.
Love the picture! But will keep away from Priime. Thanks for the review!

And now for some comic relief.
Men Hairstyle Photo Montage app by Elin Lim, version 1.0. Free today on AppZapp.

This looks like fun. Especially since I'm a bit short of hair. Unfortunately, the app has some bugs. Once you figure out how to start a new file and take a picture into the chosen template, the resultant picture, shot in portrait orientation, gets squashed into landscape shape. Very funny! I tried to save the image but every time I get an error message and the picture is not saved. I am doing this on an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.2. Time for a bug report. I would be interested to hear if people are successful using it with other devices, maybe iPhone 4or5 with iOS 7?
You also get repeated prompts to download a free game (unnamed). Plus the invariable ads.
There is no provision to import existing photos from the camera roll.
I can't report on save size since I can't save at all.

Instead of having no pictures at all I made some screen shots rather than trying to save images in the app.
First, here's what the picture looks like after shooting in the app. I asked my sweetie pie to help me with the screenshots and we had lots of laughs. It's harder to maintain camera alignment while pressing the screenshot buttons than when just pressing the shutter.
View attachment 63273
That's just perfect!

Here's another screenshot of the picture template you put your face into to make the shot. There are 15 templates to choose from.
View attachment 63274
When I had more hair it was red so the dark hair is just as alien as hair itself.
I make these with my iPhone 6 and Moment tele lens.
I attempted to submit a bug report to the developer. Unfortuantely, pressing "app support" in the app store launches Facebook but doesn't go anywhere. To me this doesn't qualify as "app support".

I attempted to submit a bug report to the developer. Unfortuantely, pressing "app support" in the app store launches Facebook but doesn't go anywhere. To me this doesn't qualify as "app support".
It is surprising sometimes the total lack of support for an app.

But sometimes I get surprised.
Most on here had heard my rants about Medachance and their lack of support. A couple weeks ago I filled in their online support form and expected that I would never hear back so you might imagine my surprise when I got a reply a few days later.
Long and short is that they have been concentrating on the business side that is making money and that is not ios apps or Mac apps but they have been doing well with their apps for PC's.
For some time the ios apps have not really been selling much but they are going to try and find time to at least get them to save properly. I reloaded all their apps I had and made notes on which work, and where the apps don't so at least they have some idea of where to start.
I said if they do update them I will redo the reviews and post them here, on AppZapp, FaceBook and Twitter and maybe they will be able to get some interest going in them again.
No timetable as to when as it will be done around the currently paying work.
At least this time they have answered and there has been some email back and forth between us.

But yes sometimes you try contacting the developers and you hear nothing back or find as Brian has found out that there is no way to contact them..

Back
Top Bottom