• Barring miracles, MobiTog will be closing its doors on June15. Please see our notice in the MobiTog Closing thread.

Mobitog Health Thread

Hola Jilly JillyG.
Another notice about COVID19 in our country. This is from 'The Lancet':

"The response of the Nicaraguan government to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has been perhaps the most erratic of any country in the world to date. Directly contradicting mitigation strategies recommended by WHO, President Daniel Ortega has refused to encourage any physical distancing measures. Vice President Rosario Murillo (Daniel Ortega's wife) instead called on thousands of sympathisers to congregate in street marches under the slogan “love in the time of COVID-19”. By downplaying the danger of the pandemic and increasing the risk of community transmission in the second-poorest country in the western hemisphere, the Nicaraguan government is violating the human rights of its citizens."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(20)30131-5/fulltext
Absolutely horrible. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. Like Jilly said, the people will have to take the matter into their own hands/health. Be well, Rodolfo, sending you and your family love. Please keep us posted here... :inlove:

How are people's outputs diminishing? I have so much more time to mess about now. There's no commute, there's no making sure the kids uniform is ready, there's no need to wash, iron shirts, stay sober, wake up before 6pm what evs. I'm getting so much more time to photograph things and so much more time to wander.
I know people's worlds are becoming smaller socially but personally my world is expanding geographically.
Could be just me of course.

Hola Jilly JillyG.

"The response of the Nicaraguan government to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has been perhaps the most erratic of any country in the world to date. Directly contradicting mitigation strategies recommended by WHO, President Daniel Ortega has refused to encourage any physical distancing measures. Vice President Rosario Murillo (Daniel Ortega's wife) instead called on thousands of sympathisers to congregate in street marches under the slogan “love in the time of COVID-19”. By downplaying the danger of the pandemic and increasing the risk of community transmission in the second-poorest country in the western hemisphere, the Nicaraguan government is violating the human rights of its citizens."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(20)30131-5/fulltext

Good to see you, Rodolfo. So sorry (but not surprised) to hear this. Sounds like Ortega has taken up the COVID crisis as a further mode of reducing the threat of the resistance. (Or is it just plain ignorance? Hard to imagine. I guess the test would be what kind of precautions are being taken in the junta). And to see reference to Garcia Marquez’ wonderful book being used as a banner for this madness . . . Unspeakable.

‘Pray for Nicaragua’. My Paraguayan friend remembers herself to you :notworthy: Every good wish x

:notworthy: = ACV !! :D
I make kombucha, but my GOALS (once I move into the tiny) are to add Kvass, sauerkraut, and sourdough culture to the list. :mobibabe:

Don’t tell anyone, but making your own ACV isn’t that impressive. Balsamic vinegar, on the other hand . . .:lmao:

i forgot sauerkraut. Good immune system boost . TomHH do you have a recipe to share?

How are people's outputs diminishing? I have so much more time to mess about now. There's no commute, there's no making sure the kids uniform is ready, there's no need to wash, iron shirts, stay sober, wake up before 6pm what evs. I'm getting so much more time to photograph things and so much more time to wander.
I know people's worlds are becoming smaller socially but personally my world is expanding geographically.
You’d think, right? :flushed: My days fly by, and I’m not doing anything! Watching shows, eating/meal prep here and there... watching shows.... trying to walk every day but not always successful... scrolling scrolling scrolling... staying up way too late and sleeping in...

My sons and I, given the government's manifest inhumanity in the face of the pandemic, and considering the serious and enormous deficiencies of our public health system, which will inevitably collapse when the terrible dimension of the cases becomes visible, the government no longer being able to manipulate the data, we constantly search the web for truthful information, both to prevent contagion and to try to combat possible contagions at home, and prevent them from becoming serious, or very serious.

From this constant exploration we have found that it is very important to strengthen the immune system.

If you allow me, I share with you this article that we find interesting: "Jamaican Family Living In Wuhan, China Shares Natural Recipe To Boost Immune System. March 19, 2020" https://www.vibe.com/2020/03/jamaican-family-living-in-wuhan-china-recipe-to-boost-immune-system

Derived from this, we are taking, twice a day: a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinager (at the moment we can get it raw & organic) + juice of half a lemon + one teaspoon of cinnamon + a tablespoon of honey (raw & organic), all together in a glass of water (8 oz).

Espero esta información les sea de alguna utilidad.
Que estén bien.

From this constant exploration we have found that it is very important to strengthen the immune system.
YES YES YES. ❤️
My recommendations: Garlic (and lots of it!), vitamin C, Elderberry Syrup, ginger, turmeric, Colloidal Silver, Chaga mushroom powder, herbs such as echinacea and astragalus, lots of fruits & vegetables.

Derived from this, we are taking, twice a day: a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinager (at the moment we can get it raw & organic) + juice of half a lemon + one teaspoon of cinnamon + a tablespoon of honey (raw & organic), all together in a glass of water (8 oz).
That’s a wonderful tonic! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

This takes several weeks to make, but it’s good to have on hand:

Fire Cider: Health Tonic

Ingredients:
  • 1 large horseradish root scrubbed very well, about 7 inches long
  • 1 large ginger root about 7 inches long
  • 1 large onion root and stem end removed and peeled
  • 1 large orange
  • 1 lemon
  • 16 cloves of garlic peeled
  • 2-4 habanero peppers, stems removed
  • 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
  • raw apple cider vinegar
  • raw honey
Optional Additions:
  • Several sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme
  • ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
Instructions:
  1. Grate the horseradish and ginger roots. Roughly chop the onions, orange, lemon, garlic, and habanero peppers. Stuff them into a half-gallon glass jar with a tight fitting lid or divide evenly between two quart sized canning jars. Sprinkle the turmeric in on top (dividing evenly between the two jars if using quart jars). Pour the raw apple cider vinegar in over the contents, allowing it to settle in through the crevices and adding more so that the contents are submerged. Lay a piece of parchment paper over the rim of the jar, then screw the lid tightly in place. Let the mixture sit in a dark, cool place, allowing it to marry and infuse for 4 weeks, shaking once daily.
  2. After 4 weeks, pour the contents into a muslin or cheesecloth lined colander positioned over a stable pot. Let it drain for 30 minutes, then gather the corners of the cloth, twisting and squeezing until you cannot release any more liquid. When it's fully strained, add honey to the liquid to taste and pour into a sterilized wine bottle or canning jar. Store in a cool, dark place for up to a year, shaking well before using.
Cook’s Notes:
  • There’s not too much to this, just grate or chop everything up and put it in a jar. That’s where I’m going to caution you. If you cannot or will not use a plastic lid, do lay a piece of parchment paper on the rim of the jar before fixing your lid in place. Raw apple cider vinegar is quite likely to motivate a canning jar lid to rust or discolour. You’d hate to have all your waiting and work ruined by a rusted lid. Replace that parchment sheet every week or so.
  • I prefer to use Bragg’s Raw Apple Cider Vinegar for my Fire Cider. I always keep it on hand because I love the flavour and I also love the health benefits it offers. Because it still has the ‘mother’ in it, it packs a higher nutritional punch. I understand that Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods also have in-house brand versions that are great.
  • I’d advise you to use organic produce if at all possible. This way you won’t be infusing your lovely health tonic with anything you wouldn’t want to have in it.
  • When you grate your horseradish, make sure you do it in a well-ventilated area or you will regret it. That stuff packs some serious oomph and will empty your sinuses in 30 seconds flat.
  • When it’s time to strain your Fire Cider Health Tonic & Homeopathic Remedy, line a colander with butter muslin, a muslin tea towel, or a double layer of super fine cheesecloth, and set it over a large, stable pot. Pour the contents of your jar into the lined colander and let it drain for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes, pull the corners of the cloth together and twist to squeeze the contents until you cannot squeeze any more liquid from it. You may reserve the solids for tossing in stir-fries or discard them.
  • You’ll notice there is not an actual quantity of honey listed in the recipe. You should add this to taste. We tend to like ours less sweet, you may prefer yours more so. Start with 1/4 cup and whisk it well, then add 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking after each addition, until you reach your desired sweetness.
  • It’s best to choose raw, locally produced honey for the benefits listed above. The second choice is raw honey. The third choice would be pasteurized commercial honey.
  • Store your finished Fire Cider Health Tonic & Homeopathic Remedy in a sterilized wine bottle or canning jar. Store in a cool, dark cabinet for up to a year.
  • Oh! I’d be remiss if I didn’t tell you that the finished Fire Cider is fabulous as a dressing for cooked greens or in salad dressings. Boost your health while enjoying your dinner!
  • Guys. Gals. Friends, Romans, Countrymen… I HAVE PUT Fire Cider Health Tonic and Homeopathic Remedy IN A COCKTAIL. It was magical. Please experiment and report banck.

Good to see you, Rodolfo. So sorry (but not surprised) to hear this. Sounds like Ortega has taken up the COVID crisis as a further mode of reducing the threat of the resistance. (Or is it just plain ignorance? Hard to imagine. I guess the test would be what kind of precautions are being taken in the junta). And to see reference to Garcia Marquez’ wonderful book being used as a banner for this madness . . . Unspeakable.

‘Pray for Nicaragua’. My Paraguayan friend remembers herself to you :notworthy: Every good wish x
Sí, querida Jene. Es muy triste y enfurece muchísimo esta actitud del gobierno. Desgraciadamente morirán o moriremos una inmensa cantidad de personas. Será, como lo expresó el Papa Francisco "un genocidio virósico", que se sumará a sus anteriores crimenes de lesa humanidad.
Espero que tú y tu familia se encuentren bien y puedan superar la pandemia.
Por favor, dale mis saludos a tu amiga paraguaya. Fue muy amable conmigo.

YES YES YES. ❤
My recommendations: Garlic (and lots of it!), vitamin C, Elderberry Syrup, ginger, turmeric, Colloidal Silver, Chaga mushroom powder, herbs such as echinacea and astragalus, lots of fruits & vegetables.

That’s a wonderful tonic! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
This takes several weeks to make, but it’s good to have on hand:

Fire Cider: Health Tonic

Ingredients:
  • 1 large horseradish root scrubbed very well, about 7 inches long
  • 1 large ginger root about 7 inches long
  • 1 large onion root and stem end removed and peeled
  • 1 large orange
  • 1 lemon
  • 16 cloves of garlic peeled
  • 2-4 habanero peppers, stems removed
  • 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
  • raw apple cider vinegar
  • raw honey
Optional Additions:
  • Several sprigs of fresh rosemary or thyme
  • ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
Instructions:
  1. Grate the horseradish and ginger roots. Roughly chop the onions, orange, lemon, garlic, and habanero peppers. Stuff them into a half-gallon glass jar with a tight fitting lid or divide evenly between two quart sized canning jars. Sprinkle the turmeric in on top (dividing evenly between the two jars if using quart jars). Pour the raw apple cider vinegar in over the contents, allowing it to settle in through the crevices and adding more so that the contents are submerged. Lay a piece of parchment paper over the rim of the jar, then screw the lid tightly in place. Let the mixture sit in a dark, cool place, allowing it to marry and infuse for 4 weeks, shaking once daily.
  2. After 4 weeks, pour the contents into a muslin or cheesecloth lined colander positioned over a stable pot. Let it drain for 30 minutes, then gather the corners of the cloth, twisting and squeezing until you cannot release any more liquid. When it's fully strained, add honey to the liquid to taste and pour into a sterilized wine bottle or canning jar. Store in a cool, dark place for up to a year, shaking well before using.
Cook’s Notes:
  • There’s not too much to this, just grate or chop everything up and put it in a jar. That’s where I’m going to caution you. If you cannot or will not use a plastic lid, do lay a piece of parchment paper on the rim of the jar before fixing your lid in place. Raw apple cider vinegar is quite likely to motivate a canning jar lid to rust or discolour. You’d hate to have all your waiting and work ruined by a rusted lid. Replace that parchment sheet every week or so.
  • I prefer to use Bragg’s Raw Apple Cider Vinegar for my Fire Cider. I always keep it on hand because I love the flavour and I also love the health benefits it offers. Because it still has the ‘mother’ in it, it packs a higher nutritional punch. I understand that Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods also have in-house brand versions that are great.
  • I’d advise you to use organic produce if at all possible. This way you won’t be infusing your lovely health tonic with anything you wouldn’t want to have in it.
  • When you grate your horseradish, make sure you do it in a well-ventilated area or you will regret it. That stuff packs some serious oomph and will empty your sinuses in 30 seconds flat.
  • When it’s time to strain your Fire Cider Health Tonic & Homeopathic Remedy, line a colander with butter muslin, a muslin tea towel, or a double layer of super fine cheesecloth, and set it over a large, stable pot. Pour the contents of your jar into the lined colander and let it drain for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes, pull the corners of the cloth together and twist to squeeze the contents until you cannot squeeze any more liquid from it. You may reserve the solids for tossing in stir-fries or discard them.
  • You’ll notice there is not an actual quantity of honey listed in the recipe. You should add this to taste. We tend to like ours less sweet, you may prefer yours more so. Start with 1/4 cup and whisk it well, then add 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking after each addition, until you reach your desired sweetness.
  • It’s best to choose raw, locally produced honey for the benefits listed above. The second choice is raw honey. The third choice would be pasteurized commercial honey.
  • Store your finished Fire Cider Health Tonic & Homeopathic Remedy in a sterilized wine bottle or canning jar. Store in a cool, dark cabinet for up to a year.
  • Oh! I’d be remiss if I didn’t tell you that the finished Fire Cider is fabulous as a dressing for cooked greens or in salad dressings. Boost your health while enjoying your dinner!
  • Guys. Gals. Friends, Romans, Countrymen… I HAVE PUT Fire Cider Health Tonic and Homeopathic Remedy IN A COCKTAIL. It was magical. Please experiment and report banck.

Mill gracias Catherine.
Lo compartiré con mi familia!

Hola Jilly JillyG.

Simply awful. I’m speechless. Do stay safe.

Well, I'm retired, so I already had a bunch of free time. But now all the places I usually go to shoot are shut down (parks, beaches, etc.), and I haven't switched mental gears to find something interesting that is available.

Instead, when the stay-at-home orders started, I decided to work through the list of bookmarked tutorials and courses that I've collected in the past couple of years. That seemed like a worthwhile thing to do -- to learn some new things, you know? -- but it's been a very mixed bag. Video is probably my least favorite way of learning, it turns out, and most people who are making tutorial videos have no clue how to put a video together or when a single page of text could replace 15 minutes of video blathering.

There are some exceptions. Robin Whalley has a useful series of YouTube videos on Affinity Photo (mostly on the desktop version). And I'm just starting a free course titled "Seeing through Photographs" from The Museum of Modern Art, through coursera.com, that looks promising. I've only done the intro so far, but the course has readings and quizzes for each lesson in addition to instruction and is not just a string of videos of people talking at you like most online courses.

Last edited:
Well, I'm retired, so I already had a bunch of free time. But now all the places I usually go to shoot are shut down (parks, beaches, etc.), and I haven't switched mental gears to find something interesting that is available.

Instead, when the stay-at-home orders started, I decided to work through the list of bookmarked tutorials and courses that I've collected in the past couple of years. That seemed like a worthwhile thing to do -- to learn some new things, you know? -- but it's been a very mixed bag. Video is probably my least favorite way of learning, it turns out, and most people who are making tutorial videos have no clue how to put a video together or when a single page of text could replace 15 minutes of video blathering.

There are some exceptions. Robin Whalley has a useful series of YouTube videos on Affinity Photo (mostly on the desktop version). And I'm just starting a free course titled "Seeing through Photographs" from The Museum of Modern Art, through coursera.com, that looks promising. I've only done the intro so far, but the course has readings and quizzes for each lesson in addition to instruction and is not just a string of videos of people talking at you like most online courses.
Hey, I've started that course too but also only done the intro. I am also getting into Affinity courses and have bought Affinity Publisher seeing as it's so cheap. However Affinity Designer on the iPad is the one I really want to learn.

I'm missing golf mostly because I miss the walks but also I fear my fitness is going down. My goal of an average 10,000 steps a day is now in jeopardy!

The lockdown is very strict here in SA. No exercising outside the home, no dog walking. You may only go to the shop to buy food so I've been doing macro photography but anything more exciting is limited.

I looked at Seeing through Photographs, but it keeps trying to charge me and I can’t find a way of doing it free. :(

Hey, I've started that course too but also only done the intro. I am also getting into Affinity courses and have bought Affinity Publisher seeing as it's so cheap. However Affinity Designer on the iPad is the one I really want to learn.

I'm missing golf mostly because I miss the walks but also I fear my fitness is going down. My goal of an average 10,000 steps a day is now in jeopardy!

The lockdown is very strict here in SA. No exercising outside the home, no dog walking. You may only go to the shop to buy food so I've been doing macro photography but anything more exciting is limited.
The poor dogs! We been able to walk Rose. She misses her doggie play dates.

Video is probably my least favorite way of learning, it turns out, and most people who are making tutorial videos have no clue how to put a video together or when a single page of text could replace 15 minutes of video blathering.
I should add that in addition to the people who simply don't know what they're doing (like why it's good to edit out your ums and ers), there are the people who do have some technical chops but use presenters whose personal brightness is turned up to 15, like kindergarten teachers on amphetamines. The one YouTube video on Affinity Photo from the group Affinity Revolution that I watched was like this. You have been warned.

Back
Top Bottom