Mobitog Health Thread

rizole your take on the new contact tracing app that's gone live today? Will you be downloading it? If I was a betting man I'd guess no ;)
I would. The data privacy looks good on the face of it so I've few qualms about using it.

It doesnt work without google play services though so thats me out. Theres 2 people in the room with me where their phones are too old for it to install in the first place including an iphone 6.

I would. The data privacy looks good on the face of it so I've few qualms about using it.

It doesnt work without google play services though so thats me out. Theres 2 people in the room with me where their phones are too old for it to install in the first place including an iphone 6.
Yes I read anything below iphone7 and its not compatible.

Will you be downloading it? If I was a betting man I'd guess no ;)
Just to clarify (already regreting you asked?) I've got no problem with big data per se. It's just a tool. I've got no problem with big data in the same way I have no problem with hammers. If you want to use a hammer to put nails in stuff then it's very useful and I'll bid you a good day. If you want to use a hammer to smash things and people then I think we might have an issue or two we need to talk about. I think the NHS app is a good thing and would use it if I didn't also have to use google, who, ipso facto, cannot be trusted.
The problem isn't big data, afaic, it's surveilance capitalism. The big tech companys collect and trade personal data. And I'm not such a big deal to think that my personal data is worth anything particularly, no one's is individually, and google et al couldn't give a fig about me. The problem is that big tech has created a structural, systemic power inballance that exploits everybody on a global scale. It's not me or you, it's everybody, everywhere.
For me this is right up there with civil liberty issues such as racism and sexism. Racism, for example, is a made up thing, invented and sold to the world solely to justify and proliferate slavery (I can cite sources for that claim should you care) not because of any actual inherent differences between races. But it was sold so effectively we've ended up in a world where defund the police, black lives matter, George Floyd, diversity training, equality and positive descrimination is a thing. There is so much to undo that was caused because some people in history could profit from subjugating a class of people that it's horrific.
Now I'm not claiming surveilance capitalism is as bad as slavery but I do think it's in the same class of power and money exploiting those with less power and money and not being regulated whilst doing it. And the longer it goes on, the more entrenched it becomes and the harder it will be to undo it.
But resistence is the only reasonable response to it I can see. The only other position is to accept it and I, for one, do not, and believe others shouldn't either.
So do the world a favour, install firefox, an ad blocker, a tracker blocker and uninstall chrome and edge. Don't use Google, use duckduckgo. Reconsider your relationship with social media. Log out of youtube, turn off autoplay, turn off notifications, turn on, tune in, drop out.

CheHigh-02.jpeg

Vote for me and there will be ice cream paid for by Elon Musk and Vladamir, free for all the world.

Last edited:
Speaking of ipso facto :mobibabe:

My niece is studying psych/criminology and I‘m helping with basic stats. We’re up to ‘correlation is not causation’, and I like visual aids:

4BEEBDF9-B61F-4650-91E3-BB7D18A7A09A.png

DA89149C-E970-4143-B3B2-CAB1BF3B8785.png

Sorry for the ’in-joke’. All I can say about that anyone who has clawed his/her way through howevermany aeons of “research methods” bloodywell deserves an in-joke or two.

For anyone who likes stats jokes (and/or teaches stats) if you haven’t already seen Tyler Vigen’s research you’re in for a treat. He also has a statistical version of Starzee ’s haiku generator.

Last edited:

My niece is studying psych/criminology and I‘m helping with basic stats. We’re up to ‘correlation is not causation’, and I like visual aids:

View attachment 160780

View attachment 160781

Sorry for the ’in-joke’. All I can say about that anyone who has clawed his/her way through howevermany aeons of “research methods” bloodywell deserves an in-joke or two.

For anyone who likes stats jokes (and/or teaches stats) if you haven’t already seen Tyler Vigen’s research you’re in for a treat. He also has a statistical version of Starzee ’s haiku generator.
P<0.05 is one thats stuck in my head from university. Never needed it since but you never know when i will.
The other random factoid is psychology uses the greek letter psy to stand for it self. Trademark sortta thing.

View attachment 160780

View attachment 160781

And speaking of XKCD, this seems relevant to the thread.
scientific_briefing.png

Have you watched the Social Dilemma?
Just to clarify (already regreting you asked?) I've got no problem with big data per se. It's just a tool. I've got no problem with big data in the same way I have no problem with hammers. If you want to use a hammer to put nails in stuff then it's very useful and I'll bid you a good day. If you want to use a hammer to smash things and people then I think we might have an issue or two we need to talk about. I think the NHS app is a good thing and would use it if I didn't also have to use google, who, ipso facto, cannot be trusted.
The problem isn't big data, afaic, it's surveilance capitalism. The big tech companys collect and trade personal data. And I'm not such a big deal to think that my personal data is worth anything particularly, no one's is individually, and google et al couldn't give a fig about me. The problem is that big tech has created a structural, systemic power inballance that exploits everybody on a global scale. It's not me or you, it's everybody, everywhere.
For me this is right up there with civil liberty issues such as racism and sexism. Racism, for example, is a made up thing, invented and sold to the world solely to justify and proliferate slavery (I can cite sources for that claim should you care) not because of any actual inherent differences between races. But it was sold so effectively we've ended up in a world where defund the police, black lives matter, George Floyd, diversity training, equality and positive descrimination is a thing. There is so much to undo that was caused because some people in history could profit from subjugating a class of people that it's horrific.
Now I'm not claiming surveilance capitalism is as bad as slavery but I do think it's in the same class of power and money exploiting those with less power and money and not being regulated whilst doing it. And the longer it goes on, the more entrenched it becomes and the harder it will be to undo it.
But resistence is the only reasonable response to it I can see. The only other position is to accept it and I, for one, do not, and believe others shouldn't either.
So do the world a favour, install firefox, an ad blocker, a tracker blocker and uninstall chrome and edge. Don't use Google, use duckduckgo. Reconsider your relationship with social media. Log out of youtube, turn off autoplay, turn off notifications, turn on, tune in, drop out.
I have totally had this feeling, exaggerated by COVID, that the world is going crazy. It’s a relief to know that I’m not alone in realising that reality is being distorted. I have never used Facebook much - purely to join art and photography groups but I seldom even look at these anymore. The only reason why I am loath to delete my profile completely is that there are now so many companies who use it as a website such as a recycling charity that I help.

I’ve been on Firefox forever and DuckDuckGo for the past 4 years but I’m afraid I use Google Maps extensively. Can anybody recommend a replacement for this?

I have totally had this feeling, exaggerated by COVID, that the world is going crazy. It’s a relief to know that I’m not alone in realising that reality is being distorted. I have never used Facebook much - purely to join art and photography groups but I seldom even look at these anymore. The only reason why I am loath to delete my profile completely is that there are now so many companies who use it as a website such as a recycling charity that I help.

I’ve been on Firefox forever and DuckDuckGo for the past 4 years but I’m afraid I use Google Maps extensively. Can anybody recommend a replacement for this?
https://www.openstreetmap.org for general mapping.
I like https://streetmap.co.uk/ for walking as at the right level of zoom it has OS level detail of public foot paths and areas of interest.
I do fall back on Google maps for satnav sometimes and when dudckduckgo doesn't give me what I want I will use google but that happens less and less these days.

3 extensions I use for firefox are: ublock origin for add blocking. Privacy badger to block trackers and Idontcareaboutcookies which accepts cookie policies for me so I don't have to.
Another one I like but not privacy related is snaplinks. It opens all selected links in new tabs with 1 click. Not for everyday use but very useful in my job.

Apple do privacy better than most but if you want a more secure email provider then protonmail is good.

https://www.openstreetmap.org for general mapping.
I like https://streetmap.co.uk/ for walking as at the right level of zoom it has OS level detail of public foot paths and areas of interest.
I do fall back on Google maps for satnav sometimes and when dudckduckgo doesn't give me what I want I will use google but that happens less and less these days.

3 extensions I use for firefox are: ublock origin for add blocking. Privacy badger to block trackers and Idontcareaboutcookies which accepts cookie policies for me so I don't have to.
Another one I like but not privacy related is snaplinks. It opens all selected links in new tabs with 1 click. Not for everyday use but very useful in my job.

Apple do privacy better than most but if you want a more secure email provider then protonmail is good.
Gee, I used to use Streetmap years ago before Google. Completely forgot about it.

I love AllTrails for hiking. It is both for iPhone and Android. You don’t need to get the subscription for basic and you can record the route you take. It’s definitely got me back to the car after getting lost on occasions. You can also use it through a browser. People also put up trails they have done and the difficulty so great if you are in a new area. It’s one of the apps I would be tempted to pay for on a yearly basis especially if I started walking more on my own because the pro version allows you to download maps and you can link with someone who can then find you if anything happens to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom