Mobitog Health Thread

At a guess, the 18-65 folks are most likely to be (or to have been) out and about and are most likely to be employed in nearby Silicon Valley, which is one of the California hot spots. The 65 and up are probably retired, mostly, and more likely to be hanging out at home, while the 17 and unders would normally be in school but are now mostly at home under parental supervision (for as long as the parentals can stand it, that is).

what’s the age demographic in SC?

And Britain's Boris Johnson!! Three peas in a lunatic pod.

Don‘t forget our Prince Charles - heir to the throne :mobibabe: Now there’s a global catastrophe in the making.

Edit: I misread the post, sorry. Our Prince Charles (although certainly a pea in a lunatic pod) has corona virus. I hear the poor dear has had to reduce his personal staff to one valet and one something else.

Last edited:
I do know it will improve, I just sort of expected the whole panic thing to die down a little sooner. Where do those hoarders put all that stuff?

I think the ‘panic hoarding thing’ is the same as the ‘infection rate thing’ in that there’s a curve that hasn’t yet flattened.

Gotta love how ‘flattening the curve’ entered language overnight. I’ve done six years of ‘research methods‘ aka the Distribution Curve for Idiots and I read that term for a week before I understood what it was referring to. My profs would be so proud :mobibabe: :oops: :confused:

But I do think the hoarding thing is its own kind of infectious disease which will have to run its course of new cases spiking then reducing, recovery rates (hopefully) increasing . . .

As long as rizole ‘s post above doesn’t start a global run on cheese :eek:

Last edited:
what’s the age demographic in SC?
Depends on your source, but...

C5626966-EDF9-428E-A5DE-6FE5008AAFCC.jpeg

9B8C9CA2-CD83-44D8-BC54-B517ECDB0740.jpeg

I think the ‘panic hoarding thing’ is the same as the ‘infection rate thing’ in that there’s a curve that hasn’t yet flattened.

Gotta love how ‘fattening the curve’ entered language overnight. I’ve done six years of ‘research methods‘ aka the Distribution Curve for Idiots and I read that term for a week before I understood what it was referring to. My profs would be so proud :mobibabe: :oops: :confused:

But I do think the hoarding thing is its own kind of infectious disease which will have to run its course of new cases spiking then reducing, recovery rates (hopefully) increasing . . .

As long as @rizoe’s post above doesn’t start a global run on cheese :eek:
If it was explained the way we learnt it, nobody would understand. Some people still struggle with flattening the curve... like people at St Kilda beach 1-2 days ago :eek:

Aha! So my finely attenuated understanding of, er, visual metaphor, tells me that SC has, um, quite a few, er, younger people.
So. I think we can safely say that Rome wasn’t built in a day.

(Also that colour-coding for gender has come a long way in the last few decades).

If it was explained the way we learnt it, nobody would understand. Some people still struggle with flattening the curve... like people at St Kilda beach 1-2 days ago :eek:

1-2 days ago?!? After the debacle at Bondi made international news? I think we Australians have had it too good for too long. Maybe it’s time to bring in the Army. I reckon ScoMo would love that.

So does anyone know someone who's been tested positive for the virus, family member, friend, colleague? I know I don't.

Personally no, not so far, thank heavens...

I've requested repeatedly to be able to work from home (my job title is IT Trainer/Application Support). My employer thinks they are "essential services" (Tampa Bay counties recently ordered Safer At Home restrictions) - the firm's clients are insurance companies... ridiculous to think they are "essential", most of the courthouses are essentially closed.

Staying at home is quite the opposite of how we lived before the outbreak. We are making our meals at home, no weekend trips, my daughter and granddaughter had to cancel their trip down from Wisconsin... we manage to take a walk each day, or play Wii bowling (I dug that game console out). My DH is not working anymore (part-time/retired), so he drives me to and from work, then I have less exposure not having to use the parking garage and the dirty elevators.

Hopefully while staying at home I'll get caught up on my 53-Week Project! :) and get caught up on here!!

Stay safe and well everyone... ;)

Personally no, not so far, thank heavens...

I've requested repeatedly to be able to work from home (my job title is IT Trainer/Application Support). My employer thinks they are "essential services" (Tampa Bay counties recently ordered Safer At Home restrictions) - the firm's clients are insurance companies... ridiculous to think they are "essential", most of the courthouses are essentially closed.

Staying at home is quite the opposite of how we lived before the outbreak. We are making our meals at home, no weekend trips, my daughter and granddaughter had to cancel their trip down from Wisconsin... we manage to take a walk each day, or play Wii bowling (I dug that game console out). My DH is not working anymore (part-time/retired), so he drives me to and from work, then I have less exposure not having to use the parking garage and the dirty elevators.

Hopefully while staying at home I'll get caught up on my 53-Week Project! :) and get caught up on here!!

Stay safe and well everyone... ;)
Glad to hear you and Ron are okay Dee, but disappointed that you’re still having to go into work. I think some people have delusions of grandeur, thinking that their business is absolutely essential in times of crisis. We had a sportswear and equipment company that tried to stay open saying they were essential for the health of the nation. They’ve had to apologise after a backlash on social media.

Aha! So my finely attenuated understanding of, er, visual metaphor, tells me that SC has, um, quite a few, er, younger people.
It's a university town and lots want to stay on after they graduate. Then by the time they hit 25, they've discovered that they can't find a decent job here and can't afford the rents.

For some reason, I can’t get this song by Mary Hopkin out of my head

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And dreamed of all the great things we would do

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la...

Then the busy years went rushing by us
We lost our starry notions on the way
If by chance I'd see you in the tavern
We'd smile at one another and we'd say

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days
La la la la...

It seems somehow prophetic.

Interesting to see the comparison. Especially the ‘percentages of population’ (eg 30-50% of the population of Europe :eek:). Secretly I‘m a little stats empirical method nerd. So I’m curious about mortality rates (if you contracted any of these virus/ plagues , what likelihood of surviving/dying from it). If the Middle Ages’ very low comparative population density makes any difference to infection rate if you also consider no sanitation, all those dogs and rats in the filthy streets...

Do we know why Italy has been hit so hard? An Italian friend said there was a major major celebration after a very big local football match win on That Weekend and thousands of people would have been infected there.
which could explain the incredibly fast spread — but not the high death rate?

I should google for that info. but I already have unrequested COVID updates leaking out of every pixel :feet: community service, no doubt

Do we know why Italy has been hit so hard? An Italian friend said there was a major major celebration after a very big local football match win on That Weekend and thousands of people would have been infected there.
which could explain the incredibly fast spread — but not the high death rate?

I should google for that info. but I already have unrequested COVID updates leaking out of every pixel :feet: community service, no doubt

Keeping the curve flat is essential, I think. People who need intensive care need it not only a few days but sometimes for weeks!
And with increasing need the health system will collapse because you run out of beds to do so. Not to forget the need of ventilators and all the equipment to handle all those cases in peak, and the staff and the mental pressure on them.
All those facts will push the mortality rate - unfortunately. :(

Translated from a german magazine according to the question why so many people died in Italy:
According to the study, the average age of those who died after a coronavirus infection was 79.5 years. The age cohort between 80 and 90 is most at risk. By March 17, a total of only 17 people under the age of 50 had been registered among the fatalities. Around 70 percent of the fatalities were men. The fatalities under the age of 40 were even exclusively men with serious previous illnesses - such as cardiovascular diseases and kidney problems or diabetes.
The high average age of the Italian population of 46.3 years and the fact that 35 percent of the 60 million people are older than 65 may contribute to the obviously above-average mortality rate in Italy. In relation to the number of around 41,000 people who have been proven to be infected with the coronavirus, the very high proportion of fatal illnesses in Italy is more than eight percent. A mortality rate of four percent was determined in China, one percent in South Korea and only 0.3 percent in Germany to date.
However, a serious comparison of infections and deaths is made difficult by the fact that the cause of death is determined everywhere according to different criteria and tests for a possible coronavirus disease are also carried out according to different specifications in the respective population. Scientists at the GIMBE Foundation in Bologna assume that the number of people actually infected in Italy is three times higher than officially determined because too few people are tested for a possible infection. On the other hand, in Italy all deaths from the lung disease Covid-19 are attributed if the coronavirus was found in addition to (multiple) previous diseases. In other countries, such deaths are not regularly attributed to Covid-19.

(source: https://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesells...rum-sterben-in-italien-so-viele-16688344.html)

PS: Google translate works quite. So may get the whole article in english this way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom