Mobitog Health Thread

Do we know why Italy has been hit so hard? An Italian friend said there was a major major celebration after a very big local football match win on That Weekend and thousands of people would have been infected there.
which could explain the incredibly fast spread — but not the high death rate?
A large elderly population? A large population with immune compromised diseases? A lot of Italians smoke.

I made the mistake of checking the arrival flights into Heathrow airport. It’s frightening. What is happening to the people that are arriving? Are they going into quarantine, or are they just getting into their cars and driving off into the virus-ridden sunset?:eek:

I made the mistake of checking the arrival flights into Heathrow airport. It’s frightening. What is happening to the people that are arriving? Are they going into quarantine, or are they just getting into their cars and driving off into the virus-ridden sunset?:eek:
Just heard that someone flew in today without any checks whatsoever!!

Don't know about anyone else but the situation has stopped feeling a bit surreal and now all seems normal to me again. Normal in the sense that today was like yesterday and the day before. The new normal I guess.

Glad to hear you and Ron are okay Dee, but disappointed that you’re still having to go into work. I think some people have delusions of grandeur, thinking that their business is absolutely essential in times of crisis. We had a sportswear and equipment company that tried to stay open saying they were essential for the health of the nation. They’ve had to apologise after a backlash on social media.

‘The only thing standing between Britain and COVID calamity is designer yoga pants’

shows how far the (consumption) rot goes, I suppose. People start believing their own sales pitch

Keeping the curve flat is essential, I think. People who need intensive care need it not only a few days but sometimes for weeks!
And with increasing need the health system will collapse because you run out of beds to do so. Not to forget the need of ventilators and all the equipment to handle all those cases in peak, and the staff and the mental pressure on them.
All those facts will push the mortality rate - unfortunately. :(

Translated from a german magazine according to the question why so many people died in Italy:

(source: https://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesells...rum-sterben-in-italien-so-viele-16688344.html)

PS: Google translate works quite. So may get the whole article in english this way.

thanks so much, Tom - very informative. Particularly the reminder that things are assessed /classified differently in different places (and yet compared across the world)

I didn’t know Italy had such an aged population. And in Italy’s massive death toll, the average age is nearly 80!

Thought I’d touch in from Texas.

my husband works for a company that services hydrogen cell powered forklifts. They are in many Walmart, Amazon and a few other distribution centers. He personally works in a large Walmart distribution keeping the lifts running. (My oldest son also works for the same company but in an amazon distribution). So he’s essential and will be working straight through unless one of us catches the “rona”. Then he’ll be put out to pasture, lol. Thankfully his company has promised to pay all employees their full 40 hours a week even if they have to be quarantined. He is our designated “leaver” and is doing most of the shopping and other out of house stuff..

We moved right at the beginning of all this, during our spring break. We were so busy with all that, not paying attention to the world burning around us. We got caught with no food. I had skipped grocery shopping for 2 weeks trying to empty the pantry and freezers so that we didn’t have to move extra food. Well that turned out to be a really bad decision. By the time I knew we needed to deal with it, the stores were cleaned out. That first week, I bought salad, eggs, all the frozen pizza left in the store (about 6 pizzas lol) and hot dogs. Oh and only the toilet paper we had left. Probably about 4 rolls. Thankfully, later in the week my husband got some TP from a store near his work. Had to buy a 30 pack cause it was all they had... but at least now we aren’t worried! He also hit a Kroger by him the next week and we were able to get some meats, milk, bread and other various important food stuff we’ve taken for granted till now. And some TO for his parents. Think they were more excited for that TP then any gift we’ve ever given them. LOL. My local stores are still selling out of most perishables every day. Usually before noon. I haven’t seen canned veggies on the shelf since before spring break. Lots of fruits in our produce sections though!

Can’t keep TP, paper towels, disposable plates/cups and even trash bags in the stores. This baffles me. Even our ziplock isle is almost completely empty. I just can’t imagine these are being hoarded. Just seems a bit extreme. In fact, I can’t imagine where anyone around here could store the food either! There’s only so much room in most of these tiny lake homes. It makes more since to me that the shipments coming in are smaller.

My county started “shelter in place” Friday night, March 27th. (Most of Texas is now sheltering in place) We have 1 confirmed case living in my county and 1 confirmed case of a dr that works here but lives somewhere else. The dr “could” have infected quite a lot of his own patients. He worked for a full 2 weeks, showing symptoms early on. It’s a big mess. We have quite a bit of people not taking it seriously. They frighten me more than anything else.

I ended up in the ER just 2 days ago because I couldn’t breath. Was terrifying. I do not have the virus, thankfully. My possible exposure is crazy minimal since I was so busy moving houses and not being in public. Think I was in a store maybe twice. Still fighting bronchitis from January. With moving and cleaning both houses, the chemicals irritated my very worn out lungs and sent me into an acute asthma attack. Just going to the ER was scary since you don’t know if it’s risky or not. I waited almost too long and was in major distress. Thankfully, they were able to get me stable and send me home quickly. They also had the ER set up to where only patients could enter. They took temps at the door, made me wear a mask at all times. I was triaged really quickly, then taken immediately into a closed area behind several locked doors. All patients were kept separate with separate nurses. I was shocked and relieved. I was out of there in under 3 hours. That’s never ever happened before. It could take 3 hours or more just sitting in the waiting room! So please, if you feel you need immediate medical care, don’t hesitate! If my little rural hospital can get their crap together, the larger better hospitals have too. I wonder how many that haven’t made it through, waited too long to seek medical care due to the fear and unknown of how this is all being handled. Please go in for help if you need it.

The scariest part of the entire Er visit was the dude in the parking lot that wanted to discuss with my husband how this virus was all BS and not real. While someone he brought there was in the ER thinking they had the virus! Bryan decided that was the best time for him to go pick up a burger. Lol

My kiddos are home from school for probably the rest of the school year. We should know by this coming Friday. Homeschooling is frustrating. Not enjoying it at all. They’ll do work on their chromebooks for the rest of the term. No state testing, which is good and I hope they get rid of forever. I like having them home though. We are doing a lot of work around the new house, getting settled in. We’ve set up a table for puzzles, a table for meals, and places for family games and stuff. We are staying busy! We go for golf cart rides around the neighborhood and visit their grandparents that live just down the road. (Being extra careful, of course) They are learning how to do yard work. The boys even got their first paid mowing job! They helped their dad build a loft bed for their sister today. Even learned how to put together a very sturdy ladder using scraps! I worry about their schooling in core subjects and how this time off will affect them next year, but in other aspects they are hands on, learning some important stuff. I’m hoping it all balances out in the end. I know, in the least, this is a time of their lives they won’t easily forget.

My Father in Law just did a neighborhood fish fry today, but utilized social distancing. He cooked for each family. Boxed it up, called their designated person to pick it up off a table in his drive way and then moved on to the next family. I’ve never been more proud of that man! True Texas hospitality and generosity!
Oh and I took my first sunset photo in over a year, today! Actually took some time to do a small photo shoot, which I haven’t done in so long I can’t remember. Felt so good.

I ended up in the ER just 2 days ago because I couldn’t breath. Was terrifying. I do not have the virus, thankfully.
With moving and cleaning both houses, the chemicals irritated my very worn out lungs and sent me into an acute asthma attack. Just going to the ER was scary since you don’t know if it’s risky or not. I waited almost too long and was in major distress. Thankfully, they were able to get me stable and send me home quickly.
So glad you’re okay and virus free. :inlove:
The scariest part of the entire Er visit was the dude in the parking lot that wanted to discuss with my husband how this virus was all BS and not real.
Wow... there are some crazies out there, that’s for sure. o_O
My Father in Law just did a neighborhood fish fry today, but utilized social distancing. He cooked for each family. Boxed it up, called their designated person to pick it up off a table in his drive way and then moved on to the next family. I’ve never been more proud of that man! True Texas hospitality and generosity!
That is just beautiful. I send him a big virtual hug! :inlove::notworthy: I love hearing these stories, and wish the news outlets would focus more on the good that’s happening, and the people who are recovering. ❤

And what better place to “shelter” in than a brand new home... so happy for you and your family.

Interesting to see the comparison. Especially the ‘percentages of population’ (eg 30-50% of the population of Europe :eek:). Secretly I‘m a little stats empirical method nerd. So I’m curious about mortality rates (if you contracted any of these virus/ plagues , what likelihood of surviving/dying from it). If the Middle Ages’ very low comparative population density makes any difference to infection rate if you also consider no sanitation, all those dogs and rats in the filthy streets...

Do we know why Italy has been hit so hard? An Italian friend said there was a major major celebration after a very big local football match win on That Weekend and thousands of people would have been infected there.
which could explain the incredibly fast spread — but not the high death rate?

I should google for that info. but I already have unrequested COVID updates leaking out of every pixel :feet: community service, no doubt
Apparently due to the average age of the population, which in Italy is higher than most countries, with older population.

AIDS epidemic case/death count is over 40 years. The only problem with COVID19 is how contagious it is and how many people get it at once. According to some experts, the fatality rate might end up being similar to influenza A, but those people fall ill at different rates and the health system can cope (since it’s been happening for a few years now and we’ve never seen lack of hospital beds for most countries due to influenza A).

I’m worried about my own health/life as everyone else should be, but it sure ain’t no plague or any of those extremely fatal diseases. Which is a relief.
The problem is that lots of those deaths are really avoidable, provided they all got sick at different times and had proper care :( and THAT is a worry.

I honestly hope that humans learn a bit from all this. It’s not possible that we still hear from some that countries cannot stop because of the economical impact. I understand that, and know that some people might take their own lives in despair of not being able to provide for their family, violence is likely to increase worldwide, countries will take ages to recover. So why can’t people just change their priorities? Economy and money were all made up by humans. If we made this s*** up, we can definitely change its course as needed. People just need to want to do it and work hard to achieve it. The problem is conving the multimillionaires. As an YouTuber once said: fine with minimum wage, but why nobody worries about maximum wage?

Economy and money were all made up by humans. If we made this s*** up, we can definitely change its course as needed.
Amen, sister.

The problem is conving the multimillionaires. As an YouTuber once said: fine with minimum wage, but why nobody worries about maximum wage?
Another “amen”.

I know. It’s really odd. I don‘t know whether they’re wild or farmed. There’s also a video of a wild boar female and her little hoglets. They are adorable little spotty things, just walking through a village street. :inlove:
Its getting a lot quieter everywhere, I live about two fields away from the A38 which is a main artery between motorways and because of the building of many warehouses on the other side, you get a lot of sound bounce back. Since the lockdown every day sounds like a Sunday.

Despite the government not having issued a formal quarantine/lockdown, that’s how the shopping Centers here look like. Poor name choice for the cafe at the bottom.
A4A5B23C-AF44-45A3-985B-4B587126A376.jpeg

E919EC19-B1D2-4848-999A-8C8AE820A979.jpeg

E466FA88-E26D-4DA3-BDF6-C6FC9312EC21.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom