IOTM Winner - Feb 21, Sep 22, Mar 24
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
The owners of Hipstamatic now call the old Hipstamatic X just Hipstamatic and the other, Classic Camera or

I’ve got stuck into ’Hipstamatic’, wrestled with working it out and am now starting to enjoy it. I looked at some combos on the old Hipstography website and have a couple of good ones set up that I’m enjoying (although it doesn’t always convert totally the same). It has been frustrating getting my combos to show up as favourites but I have finally worked out that it will only substitute the existing favourites when you actually use your combos in earnest. Would rather choose my favourites so don’t like that ‘feature’. I also wish I could choose my own categories.

I do think the new version is much better than what was first brought out. Interestingly you can take off any Hipstamatic effect in Photos by going to Edit and clicking Reverse. It actually converts it back to the standard 4:3.

I have to say getting stuck into Hipstamatic again has inspired me to go out and take more photos
. I might even consider joining the community.

In the next couple of days I’m going to showcase some of my favourite new combos.

Walking on the Beach

Today’s combination: Lucas + Robusta (-50) + Standard, Master -18, Exposure -0.24, Vibrancy -0.18, Temperature 4991, Grain +52

I’ve named all my new combos with Ann in front so that I can quickly identify those that are mine.

There doesn’t seem to be an easy way of looking at the all the settings at once like you could on the Classic. You have to go into edit and look them up one by one. I also don’t quite understand how ‘Master’ works. You can share your combos which is probably where the community comes in. Would be no way of being able to load these combos on Mobitog unless you saved them elsewhere and then provided a link. I suppose if we started a group on the Hipstamatic Community we could share there. Anybody interested?

Confession here. Some of the images below were taken with Hipstamatic but then converted to the original image, cropped and then had the combo reapplied. It was difficult to get close enough to the kelp gulls to make a good image. Likewise with the Oyster Catcher which needed lightening.

IMG_7354.jpeg

Walking in the Garden

Combo: Anne-Marie lens + Love 81 Film, Shadows +42, Vibrancy -0.45, Temperature 7048, Texture - 50, Clarity +41
Fast becoming a favourite. I called this Ann Love

These are straight out of Hipstamatic

IMG_7356.jpeg

To get good focus when taking photos, I find I have to tap the screen and wait to see the image sharpen before taking the picture. It is much easier to get a sharper image in the native camera.

Flowers from the Protea Family

IMG_7361.jpeg

Walking in the Garden

Combo: Anne-Marie lens + Love 81 Film, Shadows +42, Vibrancy -0.45, Temperature 7048, Texture - 50, Clarity +41
Fast becoming a favourite. I called this Ann Love

These are straight out of Hipstamatic

View attachment 199825

To get good focus when taking photos, I find I have to tap the screen and wait to see the image sharpen before taking the picture. It is much easier to get a sharper image in the native camera.

Flowers from the Protea Family

View attachment 199826
Good combo, especially for the flowers.

Been trying the double exposure in Hipstamatic. I used it a couple of times in the Classic version sometime ago and managed to get some great results. Somehow it felt harder in this version.

As well as getting the contrast right, the combo has to be right. I’m sure I was able to change the combo inbetween takes on the Classic but not sure if it applied the two different combos in the new Hipstamatic. Will have to experiment more.

Anyhow, of the few combos I tried Anne-Marie + Love81 worked the best. Unfortunately I didn’t have time improve the takes as much as I would have liked. These are the best I got.

IMG_7442.jpeg

One of my all time favourite hikes is Robberg Nature Reserve. Quite a tough hike on a peninsula over lots of rocks and quite steep climbs and descents but very pretty and rewarding. As usual, quite hot and the best part is the swim at the middle point on the way back.

Some of the fun Hipstas from the day

IMG_7568.jpeg

IMG_7569.jpeg

A new combo which I have called Ann Pastel: Stavros + Blanko 1 + Jolly Rainbo 2X.

IMG_7633.jpeg

Ah, just love photographing seagulls. It’s almost impossible to do in Hipsta so I usually have to take them with the native camera and apply hipsta later but I did manage to take the first image in Hipstamatic. A variety of combos.

IMG_7632.jpeg

.My Hipstamatic is currently suffering from a number of freezing issues. At least I can take and save a picture, now.

Nice experiments! I rarely shoot with it, except to do double exposures. Will try some of your combos!

A new combo which I have called Ann Pastel: Stavros + Blanko 1 + Jolly Rainbo 2X.

View attachment 200256

Ah, just love photographing seagulls. It’s almost impossible to do in Hipsta so I usually have to take them with the native camera and apply hipsta later but I did manage to take the first image in Hipstamatic. A variety of combos.

View attachment 200257
Nice combo! How does it look with stronger colors in the scene?

I’m enjoying the challenges. I think they’re a good addition for the social media aspect of the app.

This month’s challenge is urban geometry.

New to this forum & have neglected Hipstamatic for a year. Searching for a current overview or guide video or webpage is fruitless- all dated.

Anyone here know of a good resource?
Or a site showing lens/film combo examples?
Many Thanks!

New to this forum & have neglected Hipstamatic for a year. Searching for a current overview or guide video or webpage is fruitless- all dated.

Many Thanks!
We’ve had a few discussions around here’
If you happen to have the Hipstamatic social camera, you can try out and save combo from other members. Also there is this site, it takes some digging around but I’ve found a few favorites there.

Many Thanks!
Yes, not a lot of help on the new app. It does take time and a bit of frustration to get your way around but worth it in the end. It is finally feeling comfortable for me now.

The best for combos is to get onto the new Hipstamatic app and as Star says copy some of the combos that look good.

To do this:
1. From the camera within the app, tap the button with the H in a circle, bottom left.
2. Then at the top of the screen, tap the Magnifier. Now you should see something like this:
IMG_8245.jpeg

I like to look at the Top Nine. So lets look at the cat picture from Top Nine for 24 Mar. Tap on the picture and then tap on it a second time so you get the burger button at the top:
IMG_8246.jpeg

Tap the burger button and then tap Preset Details
IMG_8247.jpeg

Now tap USE. In this case they have actually used one of the Signature combos, Lambeau, which is a combo already set up for you and which you can find under Sports but you can select it here by pressing Shoot with This. If you select Copy Effect you can apply it to multiple images that you have in your library.

IMG_8250.jpeg

When it‘s a combo you don’t have you will see this. Tap Save to Presets, put a name in and it’s worth saving to one of the categories (Add to my camera).
IMG_8256.jpeg

Last edited:
How to set up your own combo.

You would think this would be easy to find, but it’s quite tucked away.

1. In the camera mode, tap the settings wheel at the top left:
IMG_8251.jpeg

Now tap the Browse button:
IMG_8252.jpeg

Now you see a list of all your combos and the set combos provided by Hipstamatic. You can see here that I always put my name in front of my combos so that I can see which ones are mine. Tap the plus sign at the top to add a new Custom Preset.
IMG_8253.jpeg

To access the main settings:

1. From the main camera, tap your avatar on the bottom right. When you get the screen below, tap the burger button in the top right and then tap Settings.

IMG_8258.jpeg

Here you can change all your settings:
IMG_6330.png

Back
Top Bottom