B&W RESULT: #05 Black & White Challenge

I've used Big Photo and Filterstorm Neue both to enlarge images, and I don't see anything to choose between them. My experience has been that the result is always softer than the original, but how much softer it looks varies from image to image. In most cases, I found that a bit of structure/sharpening in Snapseed (or Clarity in some other apps) brings the upsized image back to something near the original.

That's in cases where the original is pretty clean as far as noise and artifacts go. If the original is not so clean, it's tough to get a decent upsized result, even with some editing.

I've also found that the usable dpi for printing depends a lot on the image. I usually aim for 300 dpi, but for some images (esp. b/w ones), I've been able to get good-looking prints at 200 dpi.

Thank you Terse, I'll let you know how it turns out

Chris Wadsworth-congratulations. One thought on printing...a technique I've used successfully with artwork that might work for this- print the photo at whatever size will give you the sharpest print...let's say 2" by 3" (smallest
Conceivable size) then mat it with a gray (pick a match to one of the darkest grays-then offset the pic I. The corner of an oversized mat. I'll attach a quickly done and not properly scaled example so you can get the idea...you will of course have to find the right balance on the mat you choose ant then use a very simple black frame to pop the pic. :) hope this is helpful :)
IMG_4564.JPG

Oops....ignore the green stripe portion, I didn't realize that was going to be there.

Chris Wadsworth-congratulations. One thought on printing...a technique I've used successfully with artwork that might work for this- print the photo at whatever size will give you the sharpest print...let's say 2" by 3" (smallest
Conceivable size) then mat it with a gray (pick a match to one of the darkest grays-then offset the pic I. The corner of an oversized mat. I'll attach a quickly done and not properly scaled example so you can get the idea...you will of course have to find the right balance on the mat you choose ant then use a very simple black frame to pop the pic. :) hope this is helpful :) View attachment 86678
Oops....ignore the green stripe portion, I didn't realize that was going to be there.

Many thanks Ryn, think I'll get it printed out and see how it turns out before doing much to it.

Many thanks Ryn, think I'll get it printed out and see how it turns out before doing much to it.

Absolutely...I was just trying to show the impact of off center matting...it can really add to the size of a smaller
Image and sometimes that space really grabs the viewers eye and draws it the image :) please post a pic of however you end up finishing it; I'd love to see how it ends up :)

d2c92d2d861b1950c1893c94a9be2148.jpg

The Three

Misty walk in the Angmering Park Estate with my boys and dog. Taken using ProCamera then edited in the ever important Snapseed and finally pushed through Dramatic Black and White.

This is one of my favourite all times photos I've taken, going to get it printed.

You know, I see this photo in my minds eye frequently...it's so good it has staying power! I just love this pic and all the places it takes my imagination...it takes me all the way back to my youth and my fear of Transylvania...a place I've never been :) anyone here old enough to remember Bella Lugosi?

You know, I see this photo in my minds eye frequently...it's so good it has staying power! I just love this pic and all the places it takes my imagination...it takes me all the way back to my youth and my fear of Transylvania...a place I've never been :) anyone here old enough to remember Bella Lugosi?
Well, if we can't remember him we can always Google. Some images affect you like that, don't they. I'm sure Chris would be thrilled to know that his image has moved you.

Means a lot to hear that an image of mine inspires your imagination. Not quite Transylvania but after my story to my sons of the Angmering Anger Wolf, that eats walkers but leaves dogs alone, they sure had a fear of he fog. My long suffering wife, 10 years in April, mentioned that,maybe, wasn't the best story to tell 7 and 8 year olds

I'm aware of and a huge fan of Bella Lugosi and that genre of films. But I don't know if I'm up to admitting I'm "old enough" to remember. Maybe next year! ;)

but after my story to my sons of the Angmering Anger Wolf, that eats walkers but leaves dogs alone, they sure had a fear of he fog. My long suffering wife, 10 years in April, mentioned that,maybe, wasn't the best story to tell 7 and 8 year olds
[emoji33][emoji100]
LOLOL!!!!

it takes me all the way back to my youth and my fear of Transylvania...a place I've never been :) anyone here old enough to remember Bella Lugosi?
Bela Lugosi didn't bother me. What got to me was the robot in the closet that would come out behind people and clonk them over the head. That and the Martians in the tunnels who would grab your leg and pull you underground.

Bela Lugosi didn't bother me. What got to me was the robot in the closet that would come out behind people and clonk them over the head. That and the Martians in the tunnels who would grab your leg and pull you underground.
:lol: There's years of work for a psychiatrist in this thread alone. :lmao:

[emoji445]"bang, bang, Maxwell's silver hammer came down upon his head, clang, clang Maxwell's silver hammer made sure that he was dead …" [emoji375][emoji48]
[emoji856][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

[emoji445]"bang, bang, Maxwell's silver hammer came down upon his head, clang, clang Maxwell's silver hammer made sure that he was dead …" [emoji375][emoji48]
[emoji856][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
The silver hammer's for werewolves, isn't it? I don't think it'd even dent a robot, and it'd just irritate the Martians.

Don't leave home without your primal fears toolbelt! Silver hammer, wooden stakes, silver-tipped crossbow bolts, universal remote control, garlic press...

The silver hammer's for werewolves, isn't it? I don't think it'd even dent a robot, and it'd just irritate the Martians.

Don't leave home without your primal fears toolbelt! Silver hammer, wooden stakes, silver-tipped crossbow bolts, universal remote control, garlic press...

Don't know, you have to ask Paul or Ringo – or attend a séance and as John or George. [emoji23] anyway I love that song. [emoji48]

Haha!! "Universal Remote Control" [emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom