IOTM Winner - Sep 20 + Jan & Nov 21
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 13 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
This is the place to celebrate and showcase all of your beautiful black and white images. This is a theme-free zone so, as long as it's black and white, just about anything and everything goes!

The Rules are simple:

1) All images must be taken and edited on a mobile device: a mobile phone, tablet, iPod or iPad.

2) All images must be simply black and white and all of those lovely shades of grey. Beware grunge edits which may add colour. If I notice an image that has a hint of colour I'll let you know so that you can change it and repost. Or I can delete it and you can repost; not a pr oblem.

3) Any app(s) can be used in the making of your image, editing is permitted, but this must be done on a mobile device (see 1) above).

4) Please remember to add a title and a description of your image and what apps were used. We love to know how you did it.

Last entries before midnight UK time on Saturday 26th March 2022. Judging will take place on Sunday 27th March 2022, or soon thereafter.

Please also see the MobiTog Rules and Guidelines for all MobiChallenges posted HERE. Please note specifically Rule 4: Generally, anything goes in terms of processing, within the bounds of common decency and the Specific Rules for the Challenge or Contest, but entrants must document how they achieved the submitted result in their Challenge or Contest post, i.e. name of the device used to take the image and list each app used, in the order it is used.

This week's winner ric alexander Ric will be our guest judge for the above period.

Last edited:
Not my flowers
Hipsta
40765F89-DF57-4DDE-97DB-529093F6E694.jpeg

PXL_20220318_072027256.jpg

20170110_072417-01.jpg

Top image was taken last week, the second in 2017, not much has changed. The shadowy figure, if that's what he is, has gone.
I think the 2017 image is better, it was taken on an LG phone with a 16mp camera. They say mp don't count for much, not sure that's true.
Often I go through my photo library and think all my best images have already been taken, anyone else feel like that?

Often I go through my photo library and think all my best images have already been taken, anyone else feel like that?
Yes, but I usually only go through my back catalog when I'm in a slump and looking for inspiration, so it's pretty much a given that I'll feel the older stuff is better.

I like the 2022 shot better with that great mist.

Yes, but I usually only go through my back catalog when I'm in a slump and looking for inspiration, so it's pretty much a given that I'll feel the older stuff is better.

I like the 2022 shot better with that great mist.
Thanks for confirming that, I'm not on my own then. The mist was great, but overall the shot seems more grey where the 2017 is more stark b/w. Probably as much down to editing though.

Thanks for confirming that, I'm not on my own then. The mist was great, but overall the shot seems more grey where the 2017 is more stark b/w. Probably as much down to editing though.
I’ll third that! But I will go one further. I can’t look at stuff I took with mobile or Dslrs from back in the day. Having 1000’s of images stored on two Hdds should have made my photo storage safe. How unlucky I was to find both go down at the same time without hope of recovering them. Id Love to be able to go through all my photos taken with the 6S.
which reminds me, I gotta work out the best storage solution for any of my new stuff to stop clogging up the iPad.

View attachment 178405

View attachment 178406

Top image was taken last week, the second in 2017, not much has changed. The shadowy figure, if that's what he is, has gone.
I think the 2017 image is better, it was taken on an LG phone with a 16mp camera. They say mp don't count for much, not sure that's true.
Yup.

I’ll third that! But I will go one further. I can’t look at stuff I took with mobile or Dslrs from back in the day. Having 1000’s of images stored on two Hdds should have made my photo storage safe. How unlucky I was to find both go down at the same time without hope of recovering them. Id Love to be able to go through all my photos taken with the 6S.
which reminds me, I gotta work out the best storage solution for any of my new stuff to stop clogging up the iPad.
Storing stuff in the cloud works, you may loose a little resolution but its safe.

I’ll third that!

I wonder if the feeling of having already done your best work is a combination of repetition fatigue and the rose coloured specs of hindsight?

New things are exciting, fresh and you often approach it in a playful, exploratory and experimental way. Give it another 5 years and and the territory is largely explored and you know the outcome of the experiments, you can be faced with the deadening effects of repetition.

Coming at it from the other end, people constantly rehearse previous pinnacles of human civilisation. Think of the Mona Lisa, Macbeth, Requiem in D minor (you'll know it, look it up), The Beatles, Roman roads, Gone With the Wind, etc. There are, arguably, better, cleverer, more sublime and greater works of art, fiction, cinema and civilisation than all of those but they just keep coming back and being held up as the best, the original. I suspect we also do that when looking back at our own work too.

And looking at it from a different angle, maybe you did great work before that you can't quite match now but your work has a depth, breadth, consistency, texture and complexity you couldn't have achieved back then.

I wonder if the feeling of having already done your best work is a combination of repetition fatigue and the rose coloured specs of hindsight?

New things are exciting, fresh and you often approach it in a playful, exploratory and experimental way. Give it another 5 years and and the territory is largely explored and you know the outcome of the experiments, you can be faced with the deadening effects of repetition.

Coming at it from the other end, people constantly rehearse previous pinnacles of human civilisation. Think of the Mona Lisa, Macbeth, Requiem in D minor (you'll know it, look it up), The Beatles, Roman roads, Gone With the Wind, etc. There are, arguably, better, cleverer, more sublime and greater works of art, fiction, cinema and civilisation than all of those but they just keep coming back and being held up as the best, the original. I suspect we also do that when looking back at our own work too.

And looking at it from a different angle, maybe you did great work before that you can't quite match now but your work has a depth, breadth, consistency, texture and complexity you couldn't have achieved back then.
When I replied to John’s post, I went with my first thought answer. As thought on it why I feel that way throughout the day, I wondered if it’s like comfort food. I’ve looked at it often enough, gotten used to it, I’m not looking at my older images with a critical eye any more.

Back
Top Bottom