B&W RESULT: #232 Black & White Challenge

Daisy.
IMG_20220325_160806-01.jpeg

Results incoming today. I’ve got it down to 6 images but I’m not rushing a decision. As my mind is changing every time I look at them I want to make sure I pick them right lol.

Results incoming today. I’ve got it down to 6 images but I’m not rushing a decision. As my mind is changing every time I look at them I want to make sure I pick them right lol.
Thank you Ric. We’ve lost an hour this morning because the clocks changed - Spring forward. This challenge is now CLOSED. We look forward to your choices.:D

Well here we go. This is the first time I’ve had to judge a comp so bear with me. I’ve purposely taken a while over this as I found 6 images standing out and continually changed my mind. It’s also been a good excercise for me as it’s made me think outside my comfort zone, so here goes

WINNER -
My first choice has gone to sinnerjohn and his ‘ tales from the potting shed. It’s a lot lighter than the photos I’d usually create but the rustic feel caught me. I love old things and this just oozed that for me. I’d be well happy with myself to have taken this. I can only hope more were taken such as close ups etc and that i‘ll see them pop up on the group. Congrats fella!!!!

1648391292938.jpeg

2nd Place
This has to go to terse for gravity art.
I love this. I have no idea what these signify but my mind went straight to thinking they were built in memorial to a ships crew that might have got lost at sea. My imagination is a bit black at times. you caught this at the right time as well imo as the shadows add depth to it. I kept being drawn back to the one in the foreground, I keep seeing a woman facing the top 4 or 5 stones as if trying to keep them balanced. You’ve certainly given me a couple of ideas for when I go to one of the 18 beaches that are close by to me.

1648391398655.jpeg

3rd Place
this goes to The Great Garbanzo for On tour.
it was agony putting this down in third place. Another day it would have won but I have to make my decision before next year. That expression on the guy on the left hand side is totally opposite to the guy on the right. They look as if they would be totally different in their music taste yet they fit together perfectly. I’d love to know what style music they were playing, my first thought was, did the jam and val doonican ever play together? Nicely captured!!!

1648391349091.jpeg

Well here we go. This is the first time I’ve had to judge a comp so bear with me. I’ve purposely taken a while over this as I found 6 images standing out and continually changed my mind. It’s also been a good excercise for me as it’s made me think outside my comfort zone, so here goes

WINNER -
My first choice has gone to sinnerjohn and his ‘ tales from the potting shed. It’s a lot lighter than the photos I’d usually create but the rustic feel caught me. I love old things and this just oozed that for me. I’d be well happy with myself to have taken this. I can only hope more were taken such as close ups etc and that i‘ll see them pop up on the group. Congrats fella!!!!

View attachment 178549

2nd Place
I love this. I have no idea what these signify but my mind went straight to thinking they were built in memorial to a ships crew that might have got lost at sea. My imagination is a bit black at times. you caught this at the right time as well imo as the shadows add depth to it. I kept being drawn back to the one in the foreground, I keep seeing a woman facing the top 4 or 5 stones as if trying to keep them balanced. You’ve certainly given me a couple of ideas for when I go to one of the 18 beaches that are close by to me.

View attachment 178551

3rd Place
it was agony putting this down in third place. Another day it would have won but I have to make my decision before next year. That expression on the guy on the left hand side is totally opposite to the guy on the right. They look as if they would be totally different in their music taste yet they fit together perfectly. I’d love to know what style music they were playing, my first thought was, did the jam and val doonican ever play together? Nicely captured!!!

View attachment 178550
Many thanks Ric, I didn't expect that, so thank you. This was taken at Caulke Abbey in Derbyshire (just in Derbyshire its actually on the Derbys Staffs, Leicestershire border). It crops up quite a lot as its one of my 'happy places'. The photo of the photo of a horse, which has been kindly nominated for the current IOTM is from the same day.
Well done Ted, that's another beauty and congrats @theartistformallyknownasRizole, the expressions on their faces are just classic!

WINNER -

View attachment 178549

2nd Place

View attachment 178551

3rd Place

View attachment 178550
Great commentary, too, Ric. All congrats to John for the win with that beautiful b/w and to Riz for that great street theater moment.

Thanks for my second :notworthy: and I can assure you're not imagining what you see in those rock piles. I fairly certain they were done by a guy named David Pollock whose work I've seen in this area before. He intends people to see his "visions" as he calls them in the rocks, little stories in each one created in a very intractable medium. You can see some more of his work here in terse fragments, starting with The Flower Seller.

I certainly see the lady you mentioned in the nearest stack, although I imagined she was considering a climb further up rather than steadying the rocks.

WINNER -

View attachment 178549

2nd Place

View attachment 178551

3rd Place

View attachment 178550
Well, even taking into account that you’ve never done this before, you did a fantastic job Ric. Thank you. Super congratulations to sinnerjohn John. I love all of that grunge and the fact that someone has bothered to put plants into bottles, presumably to beautify the place.:lol: Well spotted John. High fives to terse Ted and The Great Garbanzo Rizole - the band are back together.:lmao: I love when the judge chooses three very different images for first, second and third, and this is a great example of that. Three fabulous images. Right, I’m off to the Gallery with John’s potting shed. See you there.

WINNER -

View attachment 178549

2nd Place

View attachment 178551

3rd Place

View attachment 178550
A great image sinnerjohn John! Congrats to all!

last time you posted it I think it either won or drew a lot of praise.
Yeah Ted's right, this one has never been posted before, but there have been similar. Its an often visited place and as the Dubonnet bottle has moved I do have to wonder if the grunge is stage managed!
From Caulke's Wiki page - 'Today, the house is open to the public and many of its rooms are deliberately displayed in the state of decline in which the house was handed to the Trust.'

Yeah Ted's right, this one has never been posted before, but there have been similar. Its an often visited place and as the Dubonnet bottle has moved I do have to wonder if the grunge is stage managed!
From Caulke's Wiki page - 'Today, the house is open to the public and many of its rooms are deliberately displayed in the state of decline in which the house was handed to the Trust.'

You're thinking of this one? Looks like the same shed but different pic. Someone's made off with the Dubonnet bottle :lmao:

Thanks for clarification, Ted and John. Glad I wasn’t entirely imagining the similarity.

To make up for (and/or to exploit) my mistake, we could have a discussion about the relative aesthetic merits of accidental versus ‘installed’ grunge . . . ?

Back
Top Bottom