MobiColour RESULT: MC #127 Theme: Summer Time - July 2-8, 2018

And
Exactly. Everyone knows a pond is what I have in my backyard, made from a toddler’s paddle pool or some black plastic and rocks
I went looking for the distinction between a pond vs. lake and found there isn’t any agreement on the definition. The two are often used interchangeably. In some areas they gave a measurement in acres of hectares to define the difference but this varies depending where you are. Certainly in Newfoundland they have very large ponds, several miles large, that look like good sized lakes. Some states boast a great many lakes by including what many would consider ponds.
One description of a lake says it is big enough that wave action at the shore prevents the growth of water plants in shallow water. Also, a lake is deep enough that not enough light gets to the depths so no plants grow on the bottom. A lake has enough depth so that the surface layer of water is warmer than the bottom, while a pond is more or less the same temperature. The problem is that there are always anomalies to mess up the definition. In Fundy National Park McLaren Pond is maybe 250 feet across yet it is very deep. It is defined as a kettle pond, formed during the end of the ice age by a chunk of ice that was forced into the ground by the weight of the ice sheet. Later thawing to leave a very deep pond. It is called “bottomless” because of its depth but at the edges it certainly has lots of water plants growing but only in a narrow band because the depth falls off so rapidly.
So you won’t find any help from dictionaries to clear up the difference between a pond and a lake.

Nice photo, but so sad. Droughts can be devastating. We have many dry reservoirs out west.
Sadder still is large areas of moorland have been burning for the last two weeks, probably set on fire by accident or worse, on purpose. It tends to happen in the pennines on an annual basis but because it's been so dry and hot recently it's stupid hard to control.

20180707_184511-01.jpeg

brownlands - snapseed

I went looking for the distinction between a pond vs. lake and found there isn’t any agreement on the definition. The two are often used interchangeably. In some areas they gave a measurement in acres of hectares to define the difference but this varies depending where you are. Certainly in Newfoundland they have very large ponds, several miles large, that look like good sized lakes. Some states boast a great many lakes by including what many would consider ponds.
One description of a lake says it is big enough that wave action at the shore prevents the growth of water plants in shallow water. Also, a lake is deep enough that not enough light gets to the depths so no plants grow on the bottom. A lake has enough depth so that the surface layer of water is warmer than the bottom, while a pond is more or less the same temperature. The problem is that there are always anomalies to mess up the definition. In Fundy National Park McLaren Pond is maybe 250 feet across yet it is very deep. It is defined as a kettle pond, formed during the end of the ice age by a chunk of ice that was forced into the ground by the weight of the ice sheet. Later thawing to leave a very deep pond. It is called “bottomless” because of its depth but at the edges it certainly has lots of water plants growing but only in a narrow band because the depth falls off so rapidly.
So you won’t find any help from dictionaries to clear up the difference between a pond and a lake.
Interesting.... I figured there were some sort of "details" to determine the difference. Just like hills and mountains.... I always smirk a bit when people here on the East Coast point out "mountains". I come from Washington state so I know the real deal... :sneaky: :whistle: :zip:

I'm doing this a bit differently than I normally do... just too many great images to choose from! For this challenge there are three (3) First Tier contenders, with one of them being the MC Winner (because it was just so hard to choose!!):

rizole.jpeg

"Dry Heat" by rizole

Living in an urban area for the past 31 years, I can really relate to this image as a depiction of summer time (except our heat is unfortunately humid and not dry :barf: ). The sun relentlessly beating down, everything dried up and cracked, sidewalks and pavement hot to the touch, with soft melty places in the asphalt. Even though this neighborhood looks different than most NYC streets, the similar bits in this image like uneven sidewalks, bits of garbage, brown grass, cars lined up, hazy sky.... evoked a feeling that really spoke to me.

valeri gail 2.jpeg

"Lake Life" by ValeriGail

Maybe because I just returned from a couple days on a lake (pond :rolleyes:) but this image is just full of summer for me. I can imagine sitting on that chair with a beverage and a book.... feeling the breeze and hearing the lap of the water... life slowed down, time stretching out.... <sigh>

ann.jpeg

"Fishing Along the Basingstoke Canal" by ImageArt Ann

The third of the First Tier images and the Winner of MobiColor #127!!! :D Also the very first image posted in this thread and one that kept drawing me in. Everything about this image screamed summer time to me... Long hot days, fishing, beverages, most likely a lunch packed away in one of those bags, the sounds of frogs and insects buzzing, no cares. And Ann's edit created a wonderful mood too. Well done Ann! :inlove:

Second Place:

larry.jpeg

"Portland Headlight in Maine" by MotownLarry

ted 3.jpeg

"Tidepool Tourism" by terse Ted

rizole 2.jpeg

"Untitled" by rizole

All of these show such different/diverse scenes but all of them are so beautiful to me. I'd like to be in each one of these scenes. :inlove:

Honorable Mentions:
JillyG "Rose wine with dinner al fresco" jilly.jpeg and
sinnerjohn "Mythos" john 2.jpg - what is a hot summer day without wine or a cold beer?? Nothing, that's what.
FundyBrian "Kayaking", brian.jpeg , terse Ted's "Monday Morning Fishermen" ted 2.jpeg and Ted's "Grandad at the Beach" ted 4.jpeg .... all beautifully composed summer scenes.

sinnerjohn "Whatchamacallit" john.jpg A fab abstract that in all it's simplicity still screams summer.
FundyBrian "You know it's summer when..." brian 2.jpeg Another simple yet beautiful image that gives you lots of summer feels.

And a Special Mention to sinnerjohn for his fab poem! :D

summer (a poem) by Catherine Ted and Rizole

kids are out of school, road trips to come
yellows, cracks in the drying earth
fruit, flowers, panting dogs and washing on a line
kites, cricket, hosepipe bans, summer fairs drinking icy cold beer and
eating cold watermelon slices
burgers on the grill, blooming perennials
air conditioners and fans, road repairs, traffic jams and more panting dogs
crowds and crowds sitting on the brown grass
smoke on the horizon, fireworks...

I'm doing this a bit differently than I normally do... just too many great images to choose from! For this challenge there are three (3) First Tier contenders, with one of them being the MC Winner (because it was just so hard to choose!!):

View attachment 111628
"Dry Heat" by rizole

Living in an urban area for the past 31 years, I can really relate to this image as a depiction of summer time (except our heat is unfortunately humid and not dry :barf: ). The sun relentlessly beating down, everything dried up and cracked, sidewalks and pavement hot to the touch, with soft melty places in the asphalt. Even though this neighborhood looks different than most NYC streets, the similar bits in this image like uneven sidewalks, bits of garbage, brown grass, cars lined up, hazy sky.... evoked a feeling that really spoke to me.

View attachment 111629

Maybe because I just returned from a couple days on a lake (pond :rolleyes:) but this image is just full of summer for me. I can imagine sitting on that chair with a beverage and a book.... feeling the breeze and hearing the lap of the water... life slowed down, time stretching out.... <sigh>

View attachment 111630

The third of the First Tier images and the Winner of MobiColor #127!!! :D Also the very first image posted in this thread and one that kept drawing me in. Everything about this image screamed summer time to me... Long hot days, fishing, beverages, most likely a lunch packed away in one of those bags, the sounds of frogs and insects buzzing, no cares. And Ann's edit created a wonderful mood too. Well done Ann! :inlove:

Second Place:

View attachment 111631

View attachment 111632

View attachment 111633
"Untitled" by rizole

All of these show such different/diverse scenes but all of them are so beautiful to me. I'd like to be in each one of these scenes. :inlove:

Honorable Mentions:
JillyG "Rose wine with dinner al fresco" View attachment 111634 and
sinnerjohn "Mythos" View attachment 111635 - what is a hot summer day without wine or a cold beer?? Nothing, that's what.
FundyBrian "Kayaking", View attachment 111637 , terse Ted's "Monday Morning Fishermen" View attachment 111638 and Ted's "Grandad at the Beach" View attachment 111639 .... all beautifully composed summer scenes.

sinnerjohn "Whatchamacallit" View attachment 111636 A fab abstract that in all it's simplicity still screams summer.
FundyBrian "You know it's summer when..." View attachment 111640 Another simple yet beautiful image that gives you lots of summer feels.

Wow, thanks Catherine! So many wonderful summer pics. Loved it! Well done to all the other ‘winners’. Such a strong field.

View attachment 111628
"Dry Heat" by rizole

View attachment 111629

View attachment 111630

Second Place:

View attachment 111631

View attachment 111632

View attachment 111633
"Untitled" by rizole

Honorable Mentions:
sinnerjohn "Mythos" View attachment 111635 - what is a hot summer day without wine or a cold beer?? Nothing, that's what.
FundyBrian "Kayaking", View attachment 111637 , terse Ted's "Monday Morning Fishermen" View attachment 111638 and Ted's "Grandad at the Beach" View attachment 111639 .... all beautifully composed summer scenes.

sinnerjohn "Whatchamacallit" View attachment 111636 A fab abstract that in all it's simplicity still screams summer.
FundyBrian "You know it's summer when..." View attachment 111640 Another simple yet beautiful image that gives you lots of summer feels.

Well, er, um, well done everyone (I think that about covers it :lmao:). Congrats to ImageArt Ann - that was a wonderful image. And sinnerjohn John just knocked it out of the park with his poem, inspired by Catherine, Ted and Rizole. What a week it was! Marvellous.

Nicely judged RoseCat and great pick for winner. That was a lovely image by ImageArt Ann, just seemed quintessentially English to me, although I guess you can see similar sights around the globe.
A remarkable amount of quality images posted this week :thumbs:
Yay to everyone else that was placed and mentioned. Thanks for my mention too and remember the poem was just me reassembling what everyone else had already said :)

View attachment 111628
"Dry Heat" by rizole

View attachment 111629

View attachment 111630

Second Place:

View attachment 111631

View attachment 111632

View attachment 111633
"Untitled" by rizole

Honorable Mentions:

Nice choices, Catherine. Kudos to Ann et al for a wonderful week.

Loved your review/wrapup Cat - and re-visiting those glorious summer images. And John’s poem: note to John, all poems are reassemblages of stuff other people have already said :mobibabe: I also liked rizole’s haiku - amazing how much pathos, hope, and pure celebration of life can be contained within seventeen syllables in a voice that rejects hegemonic boundaries between high and low art and unravels a knot in the combined emotional psychological existential and indeed ontological reverie of the modern mobile photographer.

Back
Top Bottom