MobiColour RESULT: MC #19 Theme: Little Creatures - June 6-12

Soooo cool!
And the colours are stunning! What did you use? Also a Moment lens or Ollo?
I don't have a macro lens. I would love to, and Brian said this Moment thingy (was it moment or has it another name? [emoji15]) is great, because you only have the thin metal bar to attach where you can put on and off the lens. The pity is that I want to have my cover on the phone/pod (so would need two of them anyway) and I don't want to fiddle around with extras (means lenses) to de- and attach. Cause if I need the thing NOW, the shot is gone before I'm ready. So I still rather take such pictures with my compact cam instead of the pod. And this one I alway have in my trouser pocket.

Because of missing zoom equipment I can hardly take close ups of living things. But sometimes surprising pictures turn out. Like this one in the garden of my friends. I took it with MultiCam and I kept only this one from the 12 shots it took with slightly different focuses. What I really linke it's that blurry background and the spider looks so crisp compared to it, that one can think it's a composed picture. That it isn't crisp enough shows the fact that you don't see her web and she was just as big a bean/pea (without legs).

Spider In The Middle

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1465507942.213149.jpg

Now goodnight. Sorry can't judge AC#3 tonight. Too tired after a long hard day at the office. [emoji112][emoji42][emoji42]

Soooo cool!
I don't have a macro lens. I would love to, and Brian said this Moment thingy (was it moment or has it another name? [emoji15]) is great, because you only have the thin metal bar to attach where you can put on and off the lens. The pity is that I want to have my cover on the phone/pod (so would need two of them anyway) and I don't want to fiddle around with extras (means lenses) to de- and attach. Cause if I need the thing NOW, the shot is gone before I'm ready. So I still rather take such pictures with my compact cam instead of the pod. And this one I alway have in my trouser pocket.
Thank you.
I have a cheap, plastic stick on lens with little suckers on the back that you have to lick or it falls off. It's so flakey I have to keep it stuck on and then go looking for shots. I'd love a half decent one I could attach easily. . I used timeshift burst which takes 20 odd pics so at least one is likely to be in focus, as suggested by BoBo - thanks for that. Snapseed for processing and I had to get a friend to press the shutter cus I had one hand on the flower and the other holding the phone.

Soooo cool!

There are different Moment lens adapter plates for several devices and not expensive. They are quite inconspicuous when not being used to secure the lenses. In fact, with the adapter place in place it is harder to get fingerprints on the iPhone lens.
There are all sorts of close-up lenses you can use for close-up photos ranging from simple magnifying lenses to complex multi-element designs. I have several but my Moment macro is the best. I also keep a close-up lens taped on the back of my phone ready got use whenever I need it. It is simply a piece of photo mat board with a hole cut in it and a plus lens glued in place. When I want to use it I untape it from the resting place and move it over the lens and stick the tape. Every few weeks I have to replace the tape. One of my favourite close-up lens setups is the Moment tele lens with a close-up lens attached in front. This gives close focusing but with more working distance between the subject and lens. Quite good for squirrels and small birds, etc. Helps eliminate wide angle distortion.

There are different Moment lens adapter plates for several devices and not expensive. They are quite inconspicuous when not being used to secure the lenses. In fact, with the adapter place in place it is harder to get fingerprints on the iPhone lens.
There are all sorts of close-up lenses you can use for close-up photos ranging from simple magnifying lenses to complex multi-element designs. I have several but my Moment macro is the best. I also keep a close-up lens taped on the back of my phone ready got use whenever I need it. It is simply a piece of photo mat board with a hole cut in it and a plus lens glued in place. When I want to use it I untape it from the resting place and move it over the lens and stick the tape. Every few weeks I have to replace the tape. One of my favourite close-up lens setups is the Moment tele lens with a close-up lens attached in front. This gives close focusing but with more working distance between the subject and lens. Quite good for squirrels and small birds, etc. Helps eliminate wide angle distortion.

Where can I find a construction manual for cart board and lens?
And how can I "bridge" the width of the cover, that it attaches exactly to the phone without removing the cover? Would love to try that.

Sorry, forgot something:
With moment lens and the metal bar to attach to the phone I've read it is no problem to put your cover over it, but what about the hole in it? Would it be enough to file it wider? What's the maximum height that would work?

Last edited:
Where can I find a construction manual for cart board and lens?
And how can I "bridge" the width of the cover, that it attaches exactly to the phone without removing the cover? Would love to try that.

Sorry, forgot something:
With moment lens and the metal bar to attach to the phone I've read it is no problem to put your cover over it, but what about the hole in it? Would it be enough to file it wider? What's the maximum height that would work?

I used an Otterbox Commuter case with the Moment lens adapter plate. This is not the biggest Otterbox case but not the slimmest, either. The thickness of the adapter plate was no problem. I just had to very slightly enlarge the hole in the case for the lens about 1mm, at the top. There is enough allowance between lens and iPhone for the thickness of the average case. The moment adapter plate is just about 1mm thick with a slight neck around the lens with a bayonet mount for attaching the lens. It is important to get the plate well centred. The Moment macro lens has a very close working distance and only one focus distance about 12mm in front of the lens. Not every subject is small enough for this lens to be useful. That's why I also use the close-up lens taped on for in between close ups.
I think I once described the close up lens in another thread. I'll go look for it.
Go to the Accessories & Phones section and search for "DIY close-up lens" and there are some pictures and more description.
Most of my close-up lenses are about 12 to 15mm in diameter, salvaged for various old cameras, etc. Some lenses work well and others have too much distortion. You just have to try and see.

Last edited:
I used an Otterbox Commuter case with the Moment lens adapter plate. This is not the biggest Otterbox case but not the slimmest, either. The thickness of the adapter plate was no problem. I just had to very slightly enlarge the hole in the case for the lens about 1mm, at the top. There is enough allowance between lens and iPhone for the thickness of the average case. The moment adapter plate is just about 1mm thick with a slight neck around the lens with a bayonet mount for attaching the lens. It is important to get the plate well centred. The Moment macro lens has a very close working distance and only one focus distance about 12mm in front of the lens. Not every subject is small enough for this lens to be useful. That's why I also use the close-up lens taped on for in between close ups.
I think I once described the close up lens in another thread. I'll go look for it.
Go to the Accessories & Phones section and search for "DIY close-up lens" and there are some pictures and more description.
Most of my close-up lenses are about 12 to 15mm in diameter, salvaged for various old cameras, etc. Some lenses work well and others have too much distortion. You just have to try and see.

Thanks, off searching. [emoji106][emoji4]

Now there's one more question: where can I find the lens to make it? [emoji15]Amazon cheap foto or magnifiers? Or get a good on at an optician? ([emoji30] sorry that's three in the end)

Now there's one more question: where can I find the lens to make it? [emoji15]Amazon cheap foto or magnifiers? Or get a good on at an optician? ([emoji30] sorry that's three in the end)

I would try poking around in a surplus store or 2nd hand store. Flea market. Yard sale. You get the best lenses from old cameras because they will have coated lenses. Compact cameras have lenses about the right size. This assumes you have some small tools to take cameras apart - what fun! Hobby shop. Educational supply store for teachers.
My local camera store sometimes gives me dead cameras. People bring them in for repair but when they get the estimate they say "forget it. I'll buy a new one". After the dead cameras have been unclaimed for over a year, out they go. If you have no luck I'll send you something by mail. I have lots of lenses in little bags in a plastic bin. All different. Trial & error. I test them to estimate the focal length by seeing at what distance they will focus a distant light into a point. 30 to 60 mm is a good range.
You could just use a set of close-up lenses for a DSLR except they would be too expensive, unless at a used shop, and a bit too big to be handy.

I would try poking around in a surplus store or 2nd hand store. Flea market. Yard sale. You get the best lenses from old cameras because they will have coated lenses. Compact cameras have lenses about the right size. This assumes you have some small tools to take cameras apart - what fun! Hobby shop. Educational supply store for teachers.
My local camera store sometimes gives me dead cameras. People bring them in for repair but when they get the estimate they say "forget it. I'll buy a new one". After the dead cameras have been unclaimed for over a year, out they go. If you have no luck I'll send you something by mail. I have lots of lenses in little bags in a plastic bin. All different. Trial & error. I test them to estimate the focal length by seeing at what distance they will focus a distant light into a point. 30 to 60 mm is a good range.
You could just use a set of close-up lenses for a DSLR except they would be too expensive, unless at a used shop, and a bit too big to be handy.
This is great stuff FundyBrian. I work in a learning resource centre and when ever something stops working I bring it home so the kids can take it apart. I have many good quality lenses lying around but never found a way to use them with my phone that worked better than the cheap plastic stick on lens I have. I can see I need to be a bit more inventive mounting them and read up on my optics too.

That is absolutely grand of you, Brian. Thanks for the offer, but I think even a letter from Canada is more expensive than a cheap lens from Amazon. [emoji1]
But now I know what I'm looking for I'll see what I can get on boot sales or whatever I stumble over. Wish I'd have kept my 70's pocket camera. It would have been at least a good start.
Will let you know when I've been successful. Thanks very much for the lesson. I'm eager to try and get some results. [emoji16][emoji106]

Leggy
View attachment 78334
Not sure what he is, but he's got very long legs. IPhone 6 no edits.

This is a crane fly. Although they look like giant mosquitoes they don't bite. The larva, known as a leatherjacket, is widely known as a troublesome pest, living underground and eating the roots of plants in gardens and lawns. Crane flies are sometimes called skeeters, and sometimes incorrectly as daddy long legs.

Back
Top Bottom