MobiColour RESULT: MC #25 THEME: Curves - July 18-24

Hmm. If I take a photo I like and post it without editing, or perhaps only with cropping, I certainly feel that it's mine. How does it become less mine by passing it through a further app? It still feels like mine to me. It may be less good than it was before, if I make a poor choice of filters and don't have the eye to recognize it, but that's a different matter. My screw-ups are as much mine as my successes.
I started with photo manipulation before photography as I did it as part of my job and also originally used my DH's photos so I feel that photography is the weaker side although improving and I feel that the manipulated version is my art rather than the photography.

I started with photo manipulation before photography as I did it as part of my job and also originally used my DH's photos so I feel that photography is the weaker side although improving and I feel that the manipulated version is my art rather than the photography.
But surely you have to have a good shot to begin with, what you are saying is the photo is less important than the manipulation which sounds crazy to me!

I happened to go to,the Gateway Arch in St Louis this past week and have some curve shots!! All are SOOC iPhone 6s Plus.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1469344860.027632.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1469344879.661865.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1469344896.114193.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1469344920.298040.jpg

I happened to go to,the Gateway Arch in St Louis this past week and have some curve shots!! All are SOOC iPhone 6s Plus.

View attachment 80059

View attachment 80060

View attachment 80061

View attachment 80062

Thanks for the shots. I've always wondered if the arch is made of concrete or stone, but this now shows pretty much it's steel or such.
So many things I always wonder and forget to google it up until it passes me again or again and again … and sometimes the answer comes up by coincidence. [emoji106][emoji1]

But surely you have to have a good shot to begin with, what you are saying is the photo is less important than the manipulation which sounds crazy to me!
Actually as long as the photo is sharp (and if it's a close up it doesn't even need to be sharp) and there is an interesting subject in it, there isn't anything you can't do and I see photo manipulation as an art form on it's own - a different art form from photography. It's not the photo which is important but what you achieve at the end. Yes, if you have a great photo it's often easier to get a great quick manipulation.

Here are two photos and a background. None of these photos in my mind are good photography. I took them purely to use the elements which were in them. The last 2 images are the result:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Result
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Actually as long as the photo is sharp (and if it's a close up it doesn't even need to be sharp) and there is an interesting subject in it, there isn't anything you can't do and I see photo manipulation as an art form on it's own - a different art form from photography. It's not the photo which is important but what you achieve at the end. Yes, if you have a great photo it's often easier to get a great quick manipulation.

Here are two photos and a background. None of these photos in my mind are good photography. I took them purely to use the elements which were in them. The last 2 images are the result:

View attachment 80078
View attachment 80079
View attachment 80080

The Result
View attachment 80081
View attachment 80082
I think the images you end up with are quite brilliant, but is it photography?

Exactly. That's what I was saying. I started with this sort of manipulation so I didn't need to be a good photographer and this is what I am good at not photography although I sure hope I am improving that side now. The manipulation is my skill not the photography.

Exactly. That's what I was saying. I started with this sort of manipulation so I didn't need to be a good photographer and this is what I am good at not photography although I sure hope I am improving that side now. The manipulation is my skill not the photography.

Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes I produce a photo that doesn't need anything for me to be happy with it, but I love making a photo into art, whereas I don't think that's your bag is it John? It's definitely Ann's. I love those collages Ann and in the end does it matter if it doesn't fit under the "photography" banner? It started as a photograph and for me that's enough.

View attachment 80078
View attachment 80079
View attachment 80080

The Result
View attachment 80081
View attachment 80082
What a great "little collage tutorial"! Taking photos of "stuff" to have on hand is a great way to ensure lots of ingredients for a collage.

And lots of ingredients for, say, and EOS challenge...... :whistle:

I would call it Digital Photo Art, because all the elements used are photos, manipulated digitally, into art.

Different strokes for different folks. Sometimes I produce a photo that doesn't need anything for me to be happy with it, but I love making a photo into art, whereas I don't think that's your bag is it John? It's definitely Ann's. I love those collages Ann and in the end does it matter if it doesn't fit under the "photography" banner? It started as a photograph and for me that's enough.
Ah, but does this fall under the heading of photography? Old photograph photographed with my iPhone and cleaned up on the iPad for a special friend.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hello Good People of MobiTog!! This thread is officially CLOSED.

I am armed with a cup of green tea as I wade through this beautiful Sea of Curves, trying to choose a winner.....
:eek: :barf: :whyme: :stopcomplaining: :whycanteveryonebewinners:

Hello Good People of MobiTog!! This thread is officially CLOSED.

I am armed with a cup of green tea as I wade through this beautiful Sea of Curves, trying to choose a winner.....
:eek: :barf: :whyme: :stopcomplaining: :whycanteveryonebewinners:
I have it narrowed down to NINE IMAGES.
<egads>

Is 'your own editing' cropping, adjustments to light & contrast etc? As opposed to, say, adding a layer of something (filter, texture)?

My own photography/editing experience started with the iPad - ie has never been distinct from any other form of digital art. So the resources I draw on to make my images don't affect my sense of ownership. I wonder how different that would be for me if I had a history of using a camera.
Hmm. If I take a photo I like and post it without editing, or perhaps only with cropping, I certainly feel that it's mine. How does it become less mine by passing it through a further app? It still feels like mine to me. It may be less good than it was before, if I make a poor choice of filters and don't have the eye to recognize it, but that's a different matter. My screw-ups are as much mine as my successes.
I don't have any simple answers.I totally agree with what you're both saying, yet personally I can't shake the feeling (not at all rational and somewhat Puritanical)that Prisma is a gimmick. Perhaps "owning" my photo is not the correct word. I think I enjoy the editing process more when I've made usually multiple decisions to edit my photo, which I almost always do before or after applying an "artistic filter" such as Prisma. If I happen to luck out on a photo that doesn't need editing I certainly don't feel any less attachment to that one as opposed to the multitude that I feel can benefit from editing. Having said all this I still freely continue to use Prisma. Go figure. I guess all I really meant to say is I can understand John's point view.

Its not my bag Jilly, quite correct. But I can definitely appreciate other people's work in this area. I'm sure Mobitog is big enough for all our mobile meandering.

So, to tackle this curvy monster, I started at Page 1 of 10 and started scrolling through, page by page. If something popped out at me/caught my eye, I saved it to my desktop. Interestingly, once I reached page 10 and then looked at what I'd saved, the overwhelming majority fall into the style of "everyday objects as abstract" - not a coincidence that this particular *theme* is a personal favorite of my own image making, and further proof (as if we needed it) that choosing winners is purely subjective.

Then came the immensely difficult decision to choose a winner out of all these images that I loved.... :eek:

....and, this week's Winner of the MobiColor Challenge is.....................

deepop David's Decim8'd Extension Cord

deepop decim8d extension cord.jpg

I love the simplicity... that you really don't know *what* it is, and then the knowing that it's an ordinary extension cord, well..... :inlove:

Second Runner Up with 3 images I love is terse Ted:

Asleep for the Summer

terse asleep for the summer.jpg

Curlicues

terse curlicues.jpg

AM

terse AM.jpg

Third Runner Up is psmoore Paul's uber sleek and minimalist
Gateway Arch:

psmoore gateway arch.jpg

Honorable Mentions to:

zenjenny for her gorgeous abstract art piece Kangaroo Dreaming:

zenjenny kangaroo dreaming.jpg

rizole's Curved Space - fab angle and depiction of the theme, and the blur of the little girl running is perfect...

rizole curved space.jpg

Special Mention to GroovyGouvy and her artist's eye, who always so creatively discovers wonderful images to fit any theme! Loved all of your many and varied swoops and curves. :D

CONGRATULATIONS everyone!!!!! :D :D :D

Now..... deepop David, please choose the theme (or not) for next week! :thumbs: The new challenge can be found by clicking HERE.

Hats off, RoseCat - great job and efficiently done, too -- as you said in the chat thingie, this Curves thread was smokin' :lmao:. Congrats David, Ted, Paul, Rizole (is that your given name, your preferred form of address?) - exciting images. And thank you Cat for HM :notworthy:

Thanks all for a great thread -- interesting interpretations and side-conversations (for instance, now I know how to pit six cherries at once :mobibabe:)

Its not my bag Jilly, quite correct. But I can definitely appreciate other people's work in this area. I'm sure Mobitog is big enough for all our mobile meandering.

Jees, JillyG , keep up! J o h n. D o e s n ' t. D o. A b s t r a c t . :mobibabe:

Except when he does (and they're quite stunning) upon which we all pretend not to notice. o_O

Back
Top Bottom