MobiColour RESULT-MCC #301 Theme: October

Most UK railways are fenced off and it would be trespass to go near the line. There are exceptions of course, there are still some open crossing where say an ancient footpath crosses the line and it has to be open to cross. These are usually well known suicide spots so even these are being closed off. In the UK the land either side of the line is owned by what we call Network Rail, there is not much open land around railways, well maybe some in the north of Scotland.
The cables for the lineside equipment are also rich pickings for criminal gangs who can strip the metal out for scrap.
It seems to be more lackadaisical in the US, at least where rail isn't the major player it once was. Santa Cruz has rails running north/south that go directly through the city (and several adjoining cities as well), with not only open crossings but pretty much open access anywhere along the line. However, the only train that runs on those rails these days is a tourist excursion train that runs between a private RR here in Felton and the Boardwalk down in Santa Cruz. There's no freight, no passenger service any more (although people keep talking about it and spending money on studies that don't seem to produce any action one way or another).

I expect that BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) in the San Francisco/Oakland area, which is a well-traveled intercity commuter train, must take greater care.

Hipstamatic DE
C49E53E3-1669-49FD-A735-6C52059FCFA0.jpeg

Is this legal in the USA?

I doubt it. It could be a deceptive view produced by a clever crop, though. What's the required distance in the UK?

Most UK railways are fenced off and it would be trespass to go near the line. There are exceptions of course, there are still some open crossing where say an ancient footpath crosses the line and it has to be open to cross. These are usually well known suicide spots so even these are being closed off. In the UK the land either side of the line is owned by what we call Network Rail, there is not much open land around railways, well maybe some in the north of Scotland.
The cables for the lineside equipment are also rich pickings for criminal gangs who can strip the metal out for scrap.

Suicide, kids playing by the line and putting themselves in danger, terrorists, vandalism, stupid people etc.
Some train drivers never recover mentally from someone throwing themselves in front of a speeding train that cannot possibly stop.

I'm assuming that this locomotive was moving slowly enough not to feel like anyone was in danger, but the driver will still be aware that the person with the camera may be suicidal.
I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe Starzee Star was standing on train tracks photographing a train heading straight towards her? She’s a :mobibabe: for sure, but that seems to be pushing it. :eek: Although…… she’s retired now and taking life by the proverbial round objects, so maybe I’m wrong…… :thinking: We need answers, Star!!

I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe Starzee Star was standing on train tracks photographing a train heading straight towards her? She’s a :mobibabe: for sure, but that seems to be pushing it. :eek: Although…… she’s retired now and taking life by the proverbial round objects, so maybe I’m wrong…… :thinking: We need answers, Star!!
Well it's been established she doesn't want to break anything this early on in retirement. Although that does suggest she's open to the idea later. Maybe she's working up to a new hobby of stunt photographer.

Is this legal in the USA?

I doubt it. It could be a deceptive view produced by a clever crop, though. What's the required distance in the UK?

Stupid Swede asking: Why would it be illegal :thinking:

Don't know about the legal status but I found this...
https://railroads.dot.gov/highway-r...-improve-rail-safety-i-am/railroad-crossing-0
View attachment 186869
You can class this post as: on the bus home with nothing to do.
I don’t know why, but there is only one railroad track through Auburn. As far as I can tell it links with a few industries. This particular train was just hanging out on the tracks, not going anywhere. The tracks I shot from don’t have RR crossing rails. Presumably one of the workers, who walk along with the trains would hold up traffic it was going to cross. It was crossing a road into the parking lot. When the trains do move they travel about 2mph. There are other crossings, on main roads that have a full blown crossing with the rails and all. If you have to wait for a train, you put your car in park and prepare to be waiting for 10-20 minutes anyway. They usually inch forward, sit a bit then inch back. Switching cars I assume. It proabably is illegal, but I was in no danger whatsoever. The other end of the city, I frequently cross tracks and the trains are much closer, lights on stopped. I’ll tell you it’s a bit disconcerting on a dark winter morning having a a train staring you down.

On a normal track, like the one that goes through my town you couldn’t get to the tracks in a situation like this, at least not with a car. Still, we manage about 1 RR death a year around here. Usually someone who thinks they can out think the crossing rails.

Well it's been established she doesn't want to break anything this early on in retirement. Although that does suggest she's open to the idea later. Maybe she's working up to a new hobby of stunt photographer.
Well, yes I was on the tracks directly in the path of a train. But I can explain….. (see my lengthy disclaimer above)

First goes, by the slimmest of margins, to deepop's "Fall classic" with its blazing color against blue and white skies and dark slim tree trunks. Not something I get to see in California, and I love it.

2bffa447-590f-4b5c-a351-90118dc267cb-jpeg.186905

Second goes to chineezguy for his October leaf studies. I could have picked the black-bordered one that's already been nominated for IotM, but instead I'm going again for the beautiful reds.

1666041963356-jpeg.186738

Third goes to ubbyisis and her jewel-bedecked spider web.

1666215261102-jpeg.186834

HMs to JillyG's pumpkins and RoseCat's fire.

First goes, by the slimmest of margins, to deepop's "Fall classic" with its blazing color against blue and white skies and dark slim tree trunks. Not something I get to see in California, and I love it.

Second goes to chineezguy for his October leaf studies. I could have picked the black-bordered one that's already been nominated for IotM, but instead I'm going again for the beautiful reds.

Well done deepop David - you’ll be busy next weekend. :lol: That’s a fabulous fall-colour image. Great work from chineezguy Michael and ubbyisis Eva. It was a great theme. Thank you for my HM and hugs to RoseCat Catherine for her HM.

Thanks from me and the spider :) And congratulations to the gold and silver medalists

Back
Top Bottom