Talking Point..........

Belief...interesting concept all on its own. Isn’t everything a matter of belief? Quantum physics can lead to the ‘belief’ that we create all that is just by imagining it into reality...that nothing exists until we perceive it and once we perceive it, we create it in reality (such as it were) because in true actuality everything is just frequency. We must tune our individual receivers to be able to perceive the frequency which then we translate into some semblance of physical form because we agree to perceive it as such. I’ve only begun to grasp some of the theories in quantum physics & quantum entanglement but they’ve opened up my thinking and explained some of my experiences.
I find it fascinating... string theory too.

Are you usually early or late?
Mostly on time or a little early, especially for agreed appointments with others.
I can be late on purpose, though, for those pointless meetings that don't actually require anything from me and I really didn't need inviting to in the first place but I'm attending because it's the thing to be seen to do. I can often cover because I'm regularly called to impromptu things as part of my job and no one keeps track so no one has to feel offended that I'm being disrespectful by being late.
If anything I'm being respectful of both them and me by cutting down on the amount of time we waste with each other :p

What songs can you sing from memory?
I've been in bands and choirs so can do a few. My fav is singing I Don't Like Mondays by the Boomtown Rats to the tune of Wanna Be Like You" from the Jungle Book on guitar. Works perfectly and is quite easy to play with no prep.

What’s your spirit animal?
Carl Sagan

What lie do you tell most often?
Sorry to be late, I was just in a meeting with X helping them sort out a problem. [GENERAL MUMRMER FROM THE ROOM]...Oh think nothing of it...no problem...s'fine...find a seat... buscuit?...[/GENERAL MUMRMER FROM THE ROOM]

Did you get enough sleep last night?
Yes

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
My signature would be empty

Clipboard01.jpg

Ryn S said:
Belief...interesting concept all on its own. Isn’t everything a matter of belief? Quantum physics can lead to the ‘belief’ that we create all that is just by imagining it into reality...that nothing exists until we perceive it and once we perceive it,

I find it fascinating... string theory too.

Quantum physics? ? String theory ? ? ?

You two talk about quantum physics and string theory? ? ?

Not. Another. Single. Word. about my ‘obscure language’ thankyouverymuch.

OMG!!! You took me back! When I was a kid, my dad (jazz piano player), me and my three brothers would be sitting at the dining table waiting for my mom to plate our meal/bring food to table. Dad would have us sing songs while we waited and this was one!!! ❤️ Along with My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, K-k-k-Katie, Hold Tight.... really fond memories. :inlove:
Oh YES!! I loved singing old songs, often war songs, with me Mum. “Winter draws on, winter draws on, they’ve all got little patterns with Santa Claus on“. :lol: - an adapted Gracie Fields song.

1. How is your week going? No, really?
  2. Have you ever seen a ghost?
  3. What's the worst movie you’ve ever watched?
  4. Which Peanuts character do you most identify with?
  5. My mum used to say "Gently Bently" when she wanted us kids to be gentle. It imprinted on me so clearly that I've even caught myself using it with my own kids automatically.
    Decades later I found that Gently Bently was a radio series from the 50's and she was just parroting a catch phrase at me.
    What do you say all the time that came from somewhere(one)else?
  6. Please ask one additional question of your own to the thread.

1. How is your week going? No, really? The usual, apart from yesterday my neighbour informed me he is taking down a very large Horse chestnut tree in his garden, which he claims is diseased. I'm suspicion of this and upset that a beautiful tree that's took years to grow will be gone in a day :(
  2. Have you ever seen a ghost? No, need I say more?
  3. What's the worst movie you’ve ever watched? Mother (2017) Dir Darren Aronofsky, starring Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer. Its just a dog of a film, don't watch it.
  4. Which Peanuts character do you most identify with? I'm from England rizole Peanuts means nothing to me, so pass.
  5. My mum used to say "Gently Bently" when she wanted us kids to be gentle. It imprinted on me so clearly that I've even caught myself using it with my own kids automatically.
    Decades later I found that Gently Bently was a radio series from the 50's and she was just parroting a catch phrase at me.
    Disappointingly I can't think of any 'catch phase' I use, I don't live in a sitcom. Maybe 'For Fox Sake' but that was definitely never uttered on a 50's radio show, slightly more anglo saxon :lol:
  7. Do you believe in an 'afterlife' ?

1. How is your week going? No, really?My students were a bit overwhelmed with the return of all student every day to school. It was a rough week at work.
  2. Have you ever seen a ghost? Yes, I believe I have.
  3. What's the worst movie you’ve ever watched? A Star Is Born, Barbara Streisand. I walk out.
  4. Which Peanuts character do you most identify with? Pigpen
    What do you say all the time that came from somewhere(one)else? A teacher in school used “people” when talking to the students. I do the same, as in “quiet down people”.
  6. Please ask one additional question of your own to the thread Why?

1. How is your week going? No, really? Since it’s gotten cold again my week is going wonderfully :)
  2. Have you ever seen a ghost? More than one on more than one occasion. And yes, I was sober. And no, I’m not crazy according to 1 psychiatrist and 2 psychologists.
  3. What's the worst movie you’ve ever watched? I don’t remember, but ‘I shut it off’ about 10 minutes in.
  4. Which Peanuts character do you most identify with? Pigpen! No matter how careful I am if there’s grease within a mile of me it will end up on my clothes somehow.
    What do you say all the time that came from somewhere(one)else? “What evil lurks...” from the beginning of the radio program, “ The Shadow. The end of the phrase was...” What evil lurks in the hearts of men...the Shadow knows.”
  7. And to answer John’s added question...Yes, I believe in an afterlife. Since energy doesn’t end, it just changes form, I have to believe that there is something next after I leave this form. It gives me peace and hope. If I’m wrong, I’ll never know.
  8. Do you think the American dollar is in serious trouble on the world stage?

1. How is your week going? No, really? Very well, thank you for asking. The weather has been gorgeous and we’ve done lots of gardening and walking and hobnobbing with the neighbours.
  2. Have you ever seen a ghost? No. And that’s all I’m prepared to say on the subject. :lol:
  3. What's the worst movie you’ve ever watched? Agh, there’ve been some stinkers, but recently we sat through a George Clooney film (I’ve never seen a GC film I liked) called The Midnight Sky. A truly awful film that didn’t go anywhere and took a long time not getting there. Nearly two hours of my life I’ll never get back!!
  4. Which Peanuts character do you most identify with? Charlie Brown - angst ridden, with a permanently bemused expression.
    What do you say all the time that came from somewhere(one)else? I used to say Gently Bently to Benson if he was being a bit rough, or snatching at my fingers for a treat. I had no idea where it came from, so thank you for the info. I also used to say Gordon Bennett a lot! Apparently, it’s something to do with an outrageous sportsman, publisher and general hellraiser. He sounds like fun.
  6. Please ask one additional question of your own to the thread. If you could have just one superpower, what would it be? (apologies if we’ve had this one before).

1. My week: change of seasons, here, too — beautiful autumn.
2. Ghosts: No
3. Bad movie: I once accidentally sat through an Adam Sandler movie. That was pretty bad but I could shrug it off. But the film adaptation of The Unbearable Lightness of Being (an author, book and title to die for) — words fail me. Horrible. Disrespectful. Mills & Boone trite — and long ! Hours & hours & hours. I was never the same again.
4. Peanuts: I don’t really know Peanuts but I have some vague memory of a girl standing in a booth with a ‘the psychologist is in’ sign. I can see myself there, maybe at a fairground, cross my palm with silver and I’ll deconstruct your cognitive schema.
5. Gently Bently: ha, so that’s where that comes from ? Cheers : )

Additional:
Starzee Star: why not?
sinnerjohn John: dunno. Beats me how so many people can be so certain about so many things.
Ryn S Ryn: did it forget its lines?
JillyG Jilly: the patience and focus and . . . mindfulness (?) to write beautiful haiku
Mine: (from a recent witnessed conversation): Has Covid (some part of the experience) changed you? How?

1. My week: change of seasons, here, too — beautiful autumn.
2. Ghosts: No
3. Bad movie: I once accidentally sat through an Adam Sandler movie. That was pretty bad but I could shrug it off. But the film adaptation of The Unbearable Lightness of Being (an author, book and title to die for) — words fail me. Horrible. Disrespectful. Mills & Boone trite — and long ! Hours & hours & hours. I was never the same again.
4. Peanuts: I don’t really know Peanuts but I have some vague memory of a girl standing in a booth with a ‘the psychologist is in’ sign. I can see myself there, maybe at a fairground, cross my palm with silver and I’ll deconstruct your cognitive schema.
5. Gently Bently: ha, so that’s where that comes from ? Cheers : )

Additional:
Starzee Star: why not?
sinnerjohn John: dunno. Beats me how so many people can be so certain about so many things.
Ryn S Ryn: did it forget its lines?
JillyG Jilly: the patience and focus and . . . mindfulness (?) to write beautiful haiku
Mine: (from a recent witnessed conversation): Has Covid (some part of the experience) changed you? How?
“Has Covid (some part of the experience) changed you? How?” If someone had said that I had to spend 24/7 with my DH (I love him dearly), I would have baulked at the idea and said that our marriage probably wouldn’t survive. But I was wrong. For the last year we’ve been in each other’s company constantly and have thrived. There have actually been a few positives from the Covid experience - shopping less, eating out less, walking more.

1. How is your week going? No, really?

Could have been better. I've been struggling to get out and take pictures. The weather's turned overcast and a bit gloomy. I've got a list of things to do that I've been avoiding. That sort of week.

2. Have you ever seen a ghost?

No. The only even slightly similar thing happened in 1969, when five of us were hanging out in a tiny three room house (three rooms, not three bedrooms) near the Boardwalk. People were wandering from room to room, listening to Poco's first album. When someone decided to order pizza, it turned out that everyone in the house was convinced there were six people there instead of five. A bit like an optical illusion without the optics

3. What's the worst movie you’ve ever watched?

Undoubtedly The Guatemalan Handshake, although Algiers would probably rank second.

4. Which Peanuts character do you most identify with?

I was never a big fan, so none of them, really.

Two phrases I picked up from my dad: "non funziona," which he picked up in Italy during WWII, and "the consipiracy of inanimate objects," which has wide application and can occasionally be applied to people as well.

Do you play a musical instrument (or have you ever)?

Extra credit questions:

Do you believe in an 'afterlife' ?
Believe? No. So far I'd class it as unproven and say I haven't experienced or read anything that convinced me there is such a thing. But there's an unanswered mystery at the heart of things: Where did the universe come from? (Or to put it another way, why is there anything at all?) The big bang, creation by god or gods, these just push the question a step further back. They don't answer anything.

Why?
Because.

Do you think the American dollar is in serious trouble on the world stage?
Lord, I have no idea. At this point in my life, I find it a lot easier and less stressful to shape my life according to what I have rather than worry if I have enough. (But yes, I can do that because I do have enough to cover the basics plus a cushion.)

If you could have just one superpower, what would it be? (apologies if we’ve had this one before).
The ability to create plots. I can write, but I can't create an interesting plot to save my life. Good storytelling is an underappreciated art.

Has Covid (some part of the experience) changed you? How?
Not much, I think. I've had ups and downs throughout the quarantine, but day to day life hasn't been all that much different. Lorraine and I were both work-at-home freelancers from the time we were about 30, so we got used to being on our own, spending lots of time living in our heads, and finding our own (cheap) amusements. Along the way, we learned that we have very different ways of working but generally get to a good answer in the end, so it's best to look the other way when your partner's working and wait for the results. Keep your nose out of someone else's process.

Do you play a musical instrument (or have you ever)?
I played cello (horribly, I'm sure) for two years in grade school and dabbled with acoustic guitar and dulcimer in college and a bit after. The only instrument I got seriously involved with was the baroque recorder. I played the whole set (soprano, alto, tenor, bass) and got fascinated with baroque, renaissance, and even medieval music along with some strange modern recorder music. I played with an informal group for a brief time (hard to keep one together when everyone's working) and got far enough into it to start working out proper ornamentation for baroque pieces. (Early baroque sheet music is rather like a jazz chart, just the bones of the melody and bass. The players were expected to dress it up on their own.)

Back
Top Bottom